RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Protection Detail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Cantona

United Kingdom 
Protection Detail

Have used the likes of Swisswax in the past and was never really impressed, what's the general concensus of these type of details, specifically on new cars? The finish from the factory is never great and in most cases 'swirls' in the paint are easily noticed.
Will be getting a new (Black) SvR in March and probably this colour more than any is prone to not having the very best looking factory finish, this company http://griffithsdetailing.com/our-services/ is not a million miles from me and I've heard good reports. The "new car detail" that he offers might fit the bill, not overly priced given its a full day's work. I think the "Claying" is what sorts out the swirls, could be wrong.

Has any one else gone this extra mile on a new vehicle?

Post #484987 Sun Jan 17 2016 1:04pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

A full detail on a RRS will take more than one day if it's done right.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #484990 Sun Jan 17 2016 1:06pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Have you considered having Xpel paint protection done? Especially on a black car, I would seriously consider it. I'm having my BMW done when I pick it up. Google Xpel and watch the videos. Do your homework if you decide to have it done though. Well worth it and you won't have to worry about swirl marks ever again. Thumbs Up

Post #485008 Sun Jan 17 2016 4:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hodog16

United States 

I had Xpel placed on the front of the vehicle followed by opti-coat pro+ which is a permanent coating so that the vehicle never needs to be waxed again. The company that installed the opti-coat did a full detail prior to the application.

Having opti-coat on the rims also for sure does a good job at keeping brake dust at a minimum. 2016 SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento

Post #485009 Sun Jan 17 2016 5:04pm
eddkawasaki

United Kingdom 

"claying" will remove bonded contaminants such as insects, tar and tree sap. the only way to remove swirl marks is to machine polish them out. You can use a polish with plenty of fillers in it which will fill the swirls and make them appear less but they will return as you wash the car. machine polishing is the only way to truly remove them.

There are a few things you can do when you wash it to reduce the chances of swirl marks.

1- use a lambs wool or micrfibre washmit not a sponge

2- use the "two bucket method". the wash bucket with hot soapy water (decent car shampoo not fairy) the rinse bucket with just clean water. after washing a panel you rinse the muck away into the rinse bucket before you put your mit back in to the wash bucket so no grit/salt/grime gets into your nice soapy water you are about to put all over your paint work.

3- drying pat dry with a microfibre drying towel or blow dry with a leaf blower. if you live in a hard water area then get a de-ionising filter to attach to your hose for your final rinse then you can leave to air dry without water spots.

be particularly careful around the piano black parts on the pillars they are very soft and will get swirl marks by just looking at them but they can be corrected even by hand polishing them. this was the results of a quick 5 minute polish

before

Click image to enlarge

after

Click image to enlarge

I had planned to get the sport done professionally but the dealer actually made a pretty good job of preparing the car and the protection they put on is still going pretty well 6 months in but I'm looking to get a chance to detail it soon.

Post #485012 Sun Jan 17 2016 5:26pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

A new car detail from a professional detailer will be around £500 and take a few days and worth every penny. Water doesn't stick and washing takes half the time as well as preventing swirl marks.

Mine used a sealant called cquartz which leaves a glassy coating which is very tough over the soft bits!

I bought some to do some wheels on my other car. After I had done it and left the cloth it went rock hard as it set!! MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #485017 Sun Jan 17 2016 5:52pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Personally I would ask your dealer not to touch it at all. They will cause more damage than good, and ask if it is ok for you arrange your own car detailer to prep your car. Also check that it is Ok for your detailer to work on their premises. With health and safety and public liability insurance the way things are these days. Better to check these things out beforehand. A good detailer who does mobile work will have his own insurance anyway.

Post #485020 Sun Jan 17 2016 6:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Have a look at my posts here - http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic42269.html - as a reason why not to let your dealer touch the car.

I use Zymol glaze - Vintage when I do it, Royale when I get it done by the only other person I trust. 

Post #485067 Sun Jan 17 2016 10:53pm
wilf

I am lucky in that my dealer employs proper detailers for new car prep. Have to say that when I picked it up I could not fault the paint anywhere, really they did a fantastic job, not the slightest swirl anywhere, including the gloss black panels.

This is Sturgess in Leicester.

But I still don't let them wash my cars when they are in for service - not the same crew as the new car prep boys! MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #485109 Mon Jan 18 2016 1:34pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

I had to persuade them to leave mine alone and I think it had a little wash but the detailer said all was good and now it is sealed I am happier! Lots of snow foam and two buckets with grit guards helps, as does a lambswool wash mitt. MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #485121 Mon Jan 18 2016 4:30pm
Cantona

United Kingdom 

When you say you had to 'persuade them to leave alone..' what exactly does that mean! Is it the standard wash that they would give it upon arrival?!

Post #485123 Mon Jan 18 2016 4:34pm
TDV8Mat

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

I have arranged with my Dealer to leave the SVR untouched, including any plastic protection wrappers. Then my Detailer is going to the Dealership and going to do New Car Protection Detail onsite. Win win for the Dealer as they don't have to 'valet' it. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #485124 Mon Jan 18 2016 4:39pm
Cantona

United Kingdom 

Hmm, all a bit worrying. In other words; "Mr Dealer, do not touch the outside of my f***ing car...."
I'm on the case Thumbs Up

Post #485128 Mon Jan 18 2016 4:54pm
Cantona

United Kingdom 

Or, I might just wait for it & weigh things up when I can see it..

Post #485140 Mon Jan 18 2016 5:45pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Same here.

Dealer cleaned the inside when I took delivery but I saw so many new cars at the showroom with dreadful swirl marks, I insisted that they leave it alone. I will be dropping it off for its annual service on Wednesday and there will be a big sign in the windscreen that says "Under no circumstances is this car to be cleaned inside or out"

With regards to detailing, I used to give my cars the Zymol treatment - especially on my M3 and 911 because for some reason they suited German cars so well.....claybar, polish and wax.

I did some research before taking delivery of my RRS and somebody suggested Swissvax. I did think about Crystal Serum given the good reviews here but I couldn't find much info about long term durability. A detailer in London did my car using Swissvax and I have topped up the wax finish a few times over the 12 months since it was done and I think it still looks superb.

However, based on durability feedback (as some people here had their cars treated with Crystal Serum over a year ago) I am going to have my car detailed with Crystal Serum over the next few weeks.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #485141 Mon Jan 18 2016 5:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>