RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Squirm on high speed bends?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Farmer Chalk

Squirm on high speed bends?

Trying to determine whether it is a trait of the car or something wrong with mine.....
Overall the handling of my L494 is incredible and defies a car of its size...however a couple of times it has behaved in a slightly disconcerting but very subtle way...on a long bend, such as a long motorway access ramp and when pushing on the car gives a little squirm or shimmy mid bend as if it's got active steering ....... This is in normal setting and not in Dynamic mode...

Anyone else had it? It is almost like a worn bush feeling that alters the track during a long radius bend....why it's disconcerting is it almost feels if the car is momentarily losing traction on the rear end...like hitting a wet drain cover... But nowhere near as dramatic as that.....

Thoughts on a postcode? Car is a 64 plate with 20000 miles...

Post #484713 Thu Jan 14 2016 10:04am
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I have noticed this on motorway exits, it only happen in normal mode, when in dynamic mode on the same exit, I can go faster without any issue, so I assume it must be car taking action to reduce the body roll and keep it stable. According to LR Experience Instructor, active roll bars provide small amount to body roll prevention even in normal mode, maybe its only when car has rolled beyond a certain amount that it kicks in unlike the dynamic mode where its works full time.

Post #484714 Thu Jan 14 2016 10:36am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Could it be a side effect of the "torque vectoring" that L494 has? I Haven't noticed in either my RRS2 or in the Evqoue with which also had Torque vectoring, but maybe I am not driving it fast enough on sweeping slip road bends........... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #484720 Thu Jan 14 2016 11:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hmmmm...not something I have noticed. I will look out for it on my commute later today.

Post #484736 Thu Jan 14 2016 2:15pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

of course you could just leave it in dynamic mode - makes the bends better, and use your flappy paddle if it doesn't shift to 8th for cruising..... just saying... Whistle

Post #484747 Thu Jan 14 2016 4:05pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

If you go in Sport Dynamic on nice bit of B road, you can really feel it doing it's stuff, but then circa 6200 rpm in third is PDQ! 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #484771 Thu Jan 14 2016 10:32pm
Farmer Chalk

You're all bad men! ..... I think udash is probably right..it feels like something is altering and probably firming the settings up...
But in doing so it alters your line slightly!
I love Dynamic mode but it's also quite hard which is brilliant when you want to push on but for cruising to the office it's a bit hard core!

I'm glad someone else has experienced this problem!i thought it was me going mad! Thanks for your thoughts....

Post #484783 Fri Jan 15 2016 1:25am
wilf

Interesting, and causes a question from myself:

I can discern no difference in ride "firmness" between "auto" and "dynamic" whatsoever, although I do notice other subtle changes.

Wonder if the 20" wheels on my car are smothering any change in ride stiffness?

Or is "dynamic" just not working? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #484791 Fri Jan 15 2016 8:51am
Farmer Chalk

There is a definite hardening of the suspension, the steering firms up and the responses are crisper.....should be quite noticeable....

Post #484794 Fri Jan 15 2016 9:14am
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

i find use of dynamic over normal quite a difference - and actually unlike some tend to be in this mode most of the time, as the body roll is significantly reduced - i tend to then flit between sport / non sport on the gearbox as takes my fancy and depending on what i am doing.

i am though running on 22" wheels

Post #484796 Fri Jan 15 2016 9:46am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

I tend to find switching everything off has the same effect 😄🏁 but then I am on a test track when I do....

Post #484881 Sat Jan 16 2016 12:41am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

What wheels/ tyres/ pressures are you running farmer?

Post #484882 Sat Jan 16 2016 12:43am
Aloha

Re: Squirm on high speed bends?

Farmer Chalk wrote:

Anyone else had it? It is almost like a worn bush feeling that alters the track during a long radius bend....why it's disconcerting is it almost feels if the car is momentarily losing traction on the rear end...like hitting a wet drain cover... But nowhere near as dramatic as that.....

I had 2 moments which can be described like yours. Both in a long sweeping bend, driving fast but not "on the edge" (around 70 mph and both bends were slightly downhill)

Post #484887 Sat Jan 16 2016 8:25am
Farmer Chalk

DaveW wrote:
What wheels/ tyres/ pressures are you running farmer?

22 inches and all tyres in excellent condition all running same psi.....

Post #484950 Sun Jan 17 2016 1:28am
Farmer Chalk

Re: Squirm on high speed bends?

Aloha wrote:
Farmer Chalk wrote:

I had 2 moments which can be described like yours. Both in a long sweeping bend, driving fast but not "on the edge" (around 70 mph and both bends were slightly downhill)

Good....that's not just me then...exactly the same not pressing on to much and between 60-70 on a long flowing left handed bend both times... It's not dramatic and a tiny squirm but just enough that your reactions are ready to kick in...

At first I thought it was loose wheel nuts and either the wheel moving on the hub or play in a bush which suddenly takes up...

..I had an old 928 many years ago and it did it the same ..I think they called it active steering and it was just a mechanical linkage under load....

Post #484952 Sun Jan 17 2016 1:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>