RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Knocking from front suspension/ LR 'customer service'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Knocking from front suspension/ LR 'customer service'

Hello chaps - been a long time waiting to get this front suspension knocking noise finally sorted with LR, and guess what? 8 months on and it still knocks, but more importantly I have discovered the true colours of the LR 'customer service'...

Car went back to the factory in August for A WHOLE MONTH, came back to me still knocking. Apparently it's the ARC valves opening and closing which is causing the knocking. Car has been back to the dealers (8th time) for the regional technical man to come and drive it AGAIN, and after a whole load of hassling them and LR customer services for action, I finally got a letter from them yesterday.

Allow me to quote:

"The knock from the suspension system is representative of the vehicle. Shocked
Land rover do feel it has discharged its responsibilities under the terms and conditions of the warranty, but should you feel a fundemental difference of opinion still remains you may wish to seek the independent advice of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders... I do regret the situation has reached its present stage but trust you can understand our position.."

WHAT A LOAD OF B******S! HOW CAN THE KNOCK BE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE VEHICLE?? DOES EVERYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM??

This was the closest thing to "please f**k off" they could possibly have said. Thing is, now the dealer can't do anything more to fix it, and the manufacturer can't be bothered to look into it and would prefer just to fob off their customers with rhetoric b*llsh*t, where do I go now? The SMMT??! yeah right!!

As you can probably tell, this has made me most grumpy. Mad Mad Mad Mad

I might even cancel the order for the TDV8.

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #65818 Fri Nov 10 2006 6:10pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Noddy, I know this is not the sort of thing you want to hear right now but I have to confirm what the letter states.

ARC knock is not considered to be a fault on the RRS.

Sorry. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #65821 Fri Nov 10 2006 6:17pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Hi Noddy, sorry to hear of your troubles, dont let it put you off the this superb vehicle just because LR back up is crap as are most manufactuers.
I to have a knock/rumble from my front suspension but it only occurs when i go over bumps/pot holes in the road interestingly it only seems to happen in the dry. The car is booked in to LR in a fortnight for other warranty work and they are going to investigate the knock which they have agreed it has. It will be interesting to see the results , i will keep you informed. some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #65863 Fri Nov 10 2006 8:09pm
noddy

[quote="TB"]Noddy, I know this is not the sort of thing you want to hear right now but I have to confirm what the letter states.

ARC knock is not considered to be a fault on the RRS.

Since when though.. since they discovered it was a problem and decided it would be too expensive to fix? "Lets stick our heads in the sand and say it's a feature not a fault and they'll go away"?? That is exactly the attitude I've had to endure for months. I can't believe the engineers heard this noise when testing the car before signing it off for production, then let it go ahead anyway??????

Is it fair enough if a manufacturer wants to shun those who choose to buy its products? The knocking is annoying, yes, but the 'customer service' I have experienced has been nothing short of diabolical.

A mate of mine has just had a warranty job sorted on his Touareg, his experiences of the dealer/ manufacturer was at the far end of the scale, there was almost nothing they wouldn't do to keep him happy..

Warning. Blood pressure high again. Time to go.

Nod

PS. I do find this forum very therapeutic though, thanks!

PPS Envoy - bad luck fella, it ain't going to go away... RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #65869 Fri Nov 10 2006 9:00pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

[quote="noddy"]

TB wrote:

A mate of mine has just had a warranty job sorted on his Touareg, his experiences of the dealer/ manufacturer was at the far end of the scale, there was almost nothing they wouldn't do to keep him happy..

Noddy,

Really sorry to hear about your troubles, however believe me when I say like most dealers not all VW dealerships are equal. I got rid of my Touareg in Feb due to, put simply, dealer problems Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It does seems odd how after all the investigation of your car they have concluded what seems to be a common fault - if a common fault, then why did it take that long to confirm this.

Kaine

Post #65891 Fri Nov 10 2006 10:39pm
TB

Kaine wrote:

It does seems odd how after all the investigation of your car they have concluded what seems to be a common fault - if a common fault, then why did it take that long to confirm this.

Kaine

Although I sympathise with you I can only repeat that this isn't a 'common fault'. It isn't a fault full stop. It is as the dealer explained, considered to be a feature of the vehicle.

Not the answer you want to hear I know, but it is the only type of answer you will get unfortunately.

Envoy, it sounds as if your vehicle is suffering with a 'mass damper creak'. Which is recognised as a fault and can be fixed. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #65903 Sat Nov 11 2006 1:59am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

TB,

I hear what your saying, however my point was only why it took so long to confirm a 'common' fault Smile

Just my thoughts; Having worked in the auto industry for 8 years I have experienced many warranty claims - on many occassions my objective was to prove that although there seems to be an 'problem', the component fully meets the component specification, and therefore is 'normal'

Sometimes I think a detailed reply, including a statement that the component in question has been tested is working within its design specification and will cause no problem to the car, is worth while.

Finally it seems the above is the case with this problem, and hopefully its not a major problem for noddy.

Kaine

Post #65913 Sat Nov 11 2006 10:24am
noddy

No.. it's more an annoyance, and you're all right - how come if it was a known "feature" did it take them 8 months to explain that to me.. I've had to take endless days out of work to get the car to & from the dealer, and they even went to the extent of taking the car back to the factory and source me a replacement.. If it was a known "feature" why did they keep my car at the factory for a month without
a) asking me to explain the problem in detail
b) let me have any kind of contact directly with the enigneers
c) keep me updated with what they were testing and when they would bring my car back again..

If it was a known "feature" the car shouldn't have even needed to leave my drive and I should have received the "please F off" letter before the summer..

My gripe is more with the shocking treatment Iv've had to endure and the terrible information flow from manufacturer to customer than it is with the knocking suspension.

My conclusion is that we all have to accept that the RRS is one of the best poor quality cars currently available.

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

Post #65916 Sat Nov 11 2006 11:54am
TB

I agree with you both, the problem should have been diagnosed a lot quicker than it was. But yet again Land Rover have been let down by the dealer network and then have let themselves down with poor customer support when your vehicles was returned to the factory.

This sounds like one of those "Here is a gun, shoot yourself in the foot" moments that Land Rover are becoming famous for. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #65919 Sat Nov 11 2006 2:24pm
tf9

Russia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Have the same knocking on lowspeeds if i go over bumps or smth. They all have it Smile Just get used to it Smile 2014 Mercedes-Benz S500
2014 Range Rover Autobiography, Causeway Gray, Ivory/Ebony
2013 BMW 530d
2008 Range Rover Supercharged Vogue S\E, Java Black, Ebony. SOLD
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Java Black, Ebony. Arden body-kit. SOLD
2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Buckingam blue, Ivory. - SOLD.

Post #65924 Sat Nov 11 2006 3:55pm
tf9

Russia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

TB wrote:

This sounds like one of those "Here is a gun, shoot yourself in the foot" moments that Land Rover are becoming famous for.

Btw Smile My friend who's got rrs 1st ed orange s/c 2005... Had some engine problems and the car went to service this march... it's now ~6 month as the car is waiting there to get the engine replaced (!)... This october he recieved a letter from LR UK, in the end of this letter LR said "We have Queen waiting, so please be patient while we investigate your problem". Sad and funny at the same time Smile Very Happy That's why LR is famous for it's best quality and service around the globe Laughing And I'm so happy I didn't have any major troubles with my RRS. 2014 Mercedes-Benz S500
2014 Range Rover Autobiography, Causeway Gray, Ivory/Ebony
2013 BMW 530d
2008 Range Rover Supercharged Vogue S\E, Java Black, Ebony. SOLD
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Java Black, Ebony. Arden body-kit. SOLD
2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Buckingam blue, Ivory. - SOLD.

Post #65925 Sat Nov 11 2006 4:01pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

ENVOY had his repaired yesterday - will PM him to see if he has an update. MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #67382 Tue Nov 21 2006 8:56pm
EXLR

United Kingdom 
Knocking from front suspension

Noddy, and all you guys with the knocking suspension, have you had the anti roll bar bush fixings checked for correct torque??

I am aware that Range Rover had an issue with knocking front suspension which was passed back to the factory for investigation. Upon a thorough investigation it turned out that the protective paint finish to the said bushes was non conforming (outside engineering specification). The bush body had too much paint applied. Technically speaking once the fixings (bolts) were fitted and tightened by Dc tooling there is an amount of "relaxing" by the bolt, i.e the bolt will lose some of its tightness. Due to the excessive paint the bolts were relaxing far more than the engineering tolerances allowed, thus the bolts after a period of time out in the field (with the customer) would loosen off, or even drop off with the resultant "Knock" emanating from the roll bar.

Noddy, when your car went back to the factory did you receive or witness any documentation confirming the site and tests carried out and signatures of the techies/engineers that worked on your car who concluded that the problem with your vehicle is a Characteristic of the RRS?

There is a "Squeaks and Rattles" shaker rig facility @ Solihull and Gaydon that can simulate almost any problem, be it mechanical, electrical etc. So any problems you guys are experiencing should be easily identified. If a quick resolution is not available for any problems experienced by any number of owners, then consider it a common defect that you are going to have to live with because there is no short term fix or there is an imense expense involved.

Post #67404 Tue Nov 21 2006 10:25pm
noddy

Ta, info much appreciated.

No, there was no detail on what was tested/ who dunnit/ where my car was inspected.. the customer services people denied me any access or direct contact with the engineers, so I wasn't even able to properly describe the problem.

The only evidence was a worn set of anti-roll-bar bushes left in the centre cubby box, so I guess these were renewed. No change to the knocking though.

Have just found an empty LR customer services questionnaire in my briefcase, which they sent me in October. This is going to be like a duck-shoot. Yee-Haarr!!!

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

Post #67442 Wed Nov 22 2006 2:41pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

I had my motor in at the dealer on Monday for some warranty work,they had a look at the front suspension and they said they had been round and just tightened everything up. When i drove it home it was as quite as a mouse, it didnt last long after about 50 miles the next day the knocking came back, its due for its 1st service in Jan so i will have a moan about it then, and a few other things. some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney