RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > On Road Driving day with the Scottish Green Road Club
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
On Road Driving day with the Scottish Green Road Club

SGRC will be having an "on-road" driving day on 18th October for members, if you fancy joining up (20 for lifetime membership) then you can download the application form here http://www.scotgrc.co.uk
and bring it along to the meeting up point. The run is on public roads from Killin over the back roads to Glen Lyon but be aware that the road is not in great condition. The run is suitable for Evoques and Freelanders as well as all other Land Rovers. There is no muddy stuff or driving through gorse bushes, purely on poorly maintained public roads through some spectacular scenery in the southern highlands.

Please PM me for details of the meeting point and times 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #474786 Wed Sep 30 2015 8:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Just a small group of assorted Freelanders, Discovery1's,2's and a D4, a few Defenders, 2 L322 FFRR's and my RRS met up at Killin this morning with a permit to venture onto the tarred roads behind locked gates (we have no rights of way for vehicles in Scotland so you just cannot drive where you like without a permit/ authority from the landowner................ more later!) and a few private rough single tracks in the Glen Lyon area of Southern Perthshire about 90 minutes drive from Glasgow. Recent summer weather for a couple of weeks ensured that the tracks were generally mud free with no slippery bits to embarrass cars shod with 22" wheels and 100% road biased tyres, even with auto terrain Response 2 Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Late in the afternoon we found an unlocked gate (we had a key to get access to the roads we had been driving) and assumed that we were still on the same shooting estate that we had started out on................... as we neared the end of the very rough and overgrown with grass track we spotted a Defender coming hurtling up the track in the opposite direction to the way we were travelling........... turned out that we had strayed onto land that belonged to another sporting estate and we didn't have the manager/ owner's permission to be there. Much diplomacy and apologies from our leader and an explanation that we had done no damage and that we had found the gate to the track unlocked and partly open defused the situation and has secured us an invite to approach the estate management in the future for a permit to drive anywhere on the estate rather than just the little track we had done! It is so nice to have what could have been an unpleasant encounter turn to our benefit and to the benefit of the estate as they have a Venison Butchery and a small shop selling venison culled from the estate...............
A grand day out and not a mark on the RRS other than some mud splashes on the tyres and alloys! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Oct 19 2015 9:52am. Edited 7 times in total

Post #476975 Sun Oct 18 2015 9:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Looks like you had a great day in stunning scenery Tim Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #476979 Sun Oct 18 2015 10:09pm
Tim in Scotland

There are some great runs in Central Scotland and the Southern Highlands, both on A roads and B/back roads and if you are lucky enough to get land owner's permission some cracking private sporting estate roads that are easy to drive in any unmodified Land Rover. I was asked today if I wasn't just a wee bit concerned about damaging my 22" wheels, easy reply was "no, but I'm quite concerned about hitting a large pothole a bit hard and taking out a tyre!" If I had doubted that the RRS could have handled it today (if we had had 3 weeks of rain for instance) then I wouldn't have gone in the RRS on 100% road biased tyres, I would have taken my MTR shod Defender 90! Instead it had to sit on my drive and sulk because it wasn't getting any fun today. I'm a firm believer that all the Land Rovers that I have owned have to do what LR says that they should be used for - getting dirty and having fun! I would much rather get a scratch enjoying being offroad than getting them in a carpark at the supermarket. Isn't that why people buy off road capable cars, to take them offroad? At one stage this afternoon I even had the trip computer reading 77mpg on a long downslope on a tarred track in high box! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #476984 Sun Oct 18 2015 10:48pm
Tim in Scotland

I hope this link works, there are more club members' photos here http://sgrc.smugmug.com/Glen-Lyon/n-RqcZzg/

BTW if any of you are coming to Central Scotland any time and fancy joining in on a Sunday gentle drive out on private roads behind locked gates that normally cannot be accessed by Joe Public unless thay are on foot or a mountain bike then SGRC (Scottish Green Road Club www.scotgrc.co.uk )welcomes new members and visiting Land Rover owners from the rest of the UK on their outings. Details are posted on the club website and all runs are suitable for all Land Rovers except Freelander1 and 2, Evoques and Discovery Sport. There are a couple of the runs that have sections that might damage the smaller Land Rovers however members are always warmed in advance if a run is not suitable for them and often we can work out a bypass of those sections or the owners can ride in with owners of more suitable Land Rovers to experience a difficult section. No special modifications or tyres are necessary and to date we have not left anyone behind or lost a member on a run! The next run will be in November and that will be the last one for 2015, otherwise the club tries to have a run every month and some of the wintery ones can be a bit exciting if there has been a decent snow fall or it has been particularly cold and frosty. Runs will resume in January 2016, the reason for no December runs is that the days are a bit short up here to allow members to get to and from an event in daylight (remember not all Land Rovers are fitted with super bright BiXenon headlights!). The aim of the club is to get Land Rover owners who might normally never take their car further offroad than a Tesco Car Park to experience some gentle forest and water board private gravel and tarred roads iwhere there is minimal risk of damge to their precious cars. Don't be put off by the photos of traicked up Defenders and Discoveries, most of that kit is only for display and rarely needs to be used for it's intended purpose Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #477012 Mon Oct 19 2015 9:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1