RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > PICTURES OF YOUR FLAKING CRAPPY SUBSTANDARD CALLIPERS HERE !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>

andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

My PM to LR customer relations

Hi Pete....

On the issue of the red brake callipers... i was always aware that the callipers were different front and back ... as you say it was stated in the brochure... all be it not that clearly

I also knew my rear callipers would flake.... and they have.....

I not prepared to get them changed for another of the same defective product that will flake again... which it clearly will as it is the same unchanged product ... It is a complete waste of my time !!

Please will you confirm whether LR have any intention of making the necessary change to the paint process , to remedy the fault . Clearly the calliper has not been prepared nor finished in a manner that is fit for purpose .

The pictures of my callipers are on the thread

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Simon 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #477242 Wed Oct 21 2015 8:55am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Land Rover will only act on an individual basis as it is far cheaper than a recall or to upgrade to better materials at the time of manufacture....

Let's hope that China goes into recession as currently this is Land Rover's main market. Only then will they start to pay attention to their UK customers.......

Last edited by jim4244 on Wed Oct 21 2015 9:48am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #477249 Wed Oct 21 2015 9:23am
andman

Hey Jim.... fine by me.... so long as I get them fixed to an acceptable standard and they don't flake again...

Others can then request the same 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #477253 Wed Oct 21 2015 9:32am
andman

The response from LR .... clearly this is going nowhere and LR have no intention of doing anything about this ...
They are blaming it on abrasive products... I spent over 1k getting my car sealed including the wheels so I don'y use anything other than soapy water ...

Hi Simon,

Some of the concerns that have been experienced after investigation appear to have been the result of abrasive cleaning products being used on the callipers while they were still very hot (following a reasonable journey).

I can however assure you that all components are under constant review and when concerns are highlighted to us, it is investigated and discussions take place with part suppliers to ensure that reasonable steps are taken where necessary.

We do rely on these concerns being raised with Land Rover approved retailers to ensure that they are documented and to allow our warranty team to review and take appropriate action.

Therefore I would suggest that you visit your local Land Rover approved retailer for assistance with this matter who can liaise with the Customer Relations Team for your market for further clarification and assistance with your specific concern.

Many thanks,
Pete

and my reply

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the swift reply.....
Just for the record ... I only ever use soapy water to clean my wheels as they have been sealed and don't require anything more than that ... and only clean them when cool.... So no abrasive products !!

I will get the callipers replaced as you give me no option and I dare say you will hear from me in 6 months time when the paint starts to flake again....

Regards

Simon 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #477272 Wed Oct 21 2015 11:38am
jim4244

This just disgusting!

So why do the front callipers not have paint problems? Land Rover once again shirking its responsibilities to their customers!

So Pete, what type of chemical analysis did you use to reach your conclusion?

Last edited by jim4244 on Wed Oct 21 2015 12:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #477276 Wed Oct 21 2015 11:53am
andman

Funnily enough I took a picture of my last wheel clean with ... You guessed it ... SOAPY WATER ONLY , to show how amazing

the Ceramic sealant is .... NO ABRASIVE PRODUCT IN SIGHT !!!

I seriously hope some others are going to post here apart from us Jim.... Laughing

2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Last edited by andman on Wed Oct 21 2015 5:45pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #477279 Wed Oct 21 2015 12:08pm
parish

United Kingdom 

Sorry wrong topic

Post #477311 Wed Oct 21 2015 5:28pm
Big-Daddy

United Kingdom 

I started with the Range Rover 'Classic' as its now called, and loved it even after 3 transmissions, two engines and various bits and bobs falling off. Regretted selling it.

Upgraded to the second generation, the one that BMW got involved with, the one with the fancy up and down suspension that spent most of its time down. I struggled with that for over a year and drove it less than my stealership but I didn't pay for it either (I do love finance). I then went away and played with some toys from other manufacturers (nothing French btw) and then again finally went back to a range rover with the L494, and now on my second.

And let's all be honest here, the range rover your driving is mostly Ford and Bosch cobbled together with a Denso display, Meridian Audio and very little JLR and maybe that's why this version seems to start most mornings, I dunno. I think it all depends on attitude and in that I mean (a) accept that JLR has more problems than the Eurozone, and (b) if you just paid £100K then they are bloody well going to fix it. As I'm writing this I'm drawn to consider how my own attitude has changed over the years and how comparably intolerant I actually am these days, maybe it all changed when I passed the half way point Smile

Back to dodgy callipers, sure, they are crap and JLR know it too. I will probably give the stealer the option at the next service in Jan, and if they refuse or sod me about, I'll just have a local paint shop strip them and refinish them, sending the bill to our friends at JLR (followed by a summons a month later).

In Summary, I think the latest generation is probably the most mechanically reliable one to date (so far), but also know that JLR aftercare is virtually non-existent. Accept that its going to have issues and you will have to deal with some of them yourself, but don't let the issues detract from the fun of driving it, when it does.

Post #477320 Wed Oct 21 2015 6:36pm
jim4244

Any photo's Big Daddy?

Post #477322 Wed Oct 21 2015 6:40pm
Big-Daddy

United Kingdom 

Mine are about the same as Andman's but not as bad as yours Jim4244, but mine's not a year old yet and only 18k so that kinda makes sense. I'll take some snaps next time it gets a wash, which it doesn't that much now its raining daily.

Post #477324 Wed Oct 21 2015 6:45pm
andman

Bravo Big daddy , beautifully put .... It shouldn't be this way but it is....

The calliper issue has really Censored me off and the arrogance of the unfounded invented reply....

I do enjoy my L494 but I can categorically tell you as I weigh up what used to be a simple decision for a new car....

a new RR is 60 40 against as of now...

I started with a classic in 1989 .. and have had many more since 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #477326 Wed Oct 21 2015 6:48pm
jim4244

During the 1980's I ran a couple of RR classics, where I took the V8 petrol out and replaced the lump with a Perkins 4203.

Then, when I married and had shed loads of kids I went to the Disco. I had a 200 series, a 300 series and finally a TD5. All required a new gear box during ownership, and whenever I contacted Land Rover they told me that it was my driving technique. Each time I pointed out that the vehicles had never been cross countried and that I myself was a Police Class 1 driver.

In 2004 I ditched Land Rover and bought an XC90. 8 years of trouble free motoring followed before I went for a RRS1 in 2012. A good car with no problems, but I only ran it until October 2013 when I switched to an L494 HSE Dynamic. To be fair it has been a good car but has had the following faults:

1/ The heated rear seats had not been connected at the factory.
2/ The heated rear windscreen had not been connected at the factory.
3/ Fuel slap from an un baffled tank.
4/ Rear red brake callipers had to be changed due to the paint falling off after 2000 miles.

And now I have the same paint problem with my rear callipers, with Land Rover telling me that there is no known problem with them, and as they have replaced them once already they are unwilling to replace them again. This is an arrogant attitude towards their customer.

As a side note I sold my XC90 to my father in law in 2012. Yesterday it once again sailed through its MOT and the only things that have been done to it since 2004 is a timing belt change, 1 new battery and 4 sets of tyres.

Land Rover need to up their game when it comes to Customer Service. It is not a failing at dealership level, but more of a failure at Land Rover Corporate level.

Jim

Post #477341 Wed Oct 21 2015 8:34pm
wemeadows

United States 2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Fuji White

fkarim wrote:
The previous two RRSs I owned were last of their series - a 2009 just before facelift/engine change and a 2013 before L494 arrived. Either the first owner had sorted everything (I was the second owner in both cases) or they didn't have any niggling imperfections or "characteristics" to begin with. Seems like the best time to buy a Land Rover for is just before a new model is due or buy second hand.

A friend of mine who is a LR mechanic in the US told me to never buy the first or second year of a new LR or Jag model. Just too many niggles to work out...and some things worse than niggles happen too.

Both RRs that I've owned ('95 County Classic & 2013 RRS before L494 arrived) were the last model year of their run and have been great.

I would love to own an L494, but I'm going to wait for a few years so they get the kinks out (and I hope they do!). 2013 RRS HSE Lux, Fuji White w/Silver Pkg, 5.0 V8
Gone, but not forgotten: 1995 RR County Classic SWB, Arctic White

Post #477430 Thu Oct 22 2015 7:44pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

That's all well and good,but your friend needs to also understand, that 2013 models were out, we had quarter year updates in 2014, have gone through 2015, and 2016 iteration is now being deployed. That's more than a couple of cycles of teething issues.

Last edited by R444SPT on Thu Oct 22 2015 7:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #477432 Thu Oct 22 2015 7:54pm
andman

Trouble is LR live in the world of denial ...

Therefore some of these 'niggles' will never be acknowledged and hence never be resolved and will be ever present with the L494 as a result...

Just for the record.. I had two good years out of my MY12 and the last 6 months I owned it , it started playing up big time....

Anyway... off topic.... Pictures of your callipers please !!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #477433 Thu Oct 22 2015 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>