RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > My first ever diesel engine.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Wilson

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
My first ever diesel engine.

In 19 years of driving and more vehicles than I can remember I have never owned a diesel until my new 07 TDV8. Therefore I have no experience in what diesel to use etc.

With petrol, I had unleaded 95, super unleaded 97 and Ultra / Momentum at 99... I think I remember there being a 98ron petrol once too! some previous cars having to have the higher rating and lower for less performance cars etc.

However, I want to make sure I'm putting the right diesel or at least avoiding a bad diesel if any... I seem to remember some petrol stations having two different diesels and seeing something called city diesel somewhere whatever that is?

Any advise if it matters or a lesson on different diesels would be very much appreciated.

Post #476250 Tue Oct 13 2015 2:28pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Pretty much any old diesel is fine. I don't believe in the rip-off stuff. High octane petrol is just that, but diesel has naff all of an octane rating in any form. You could consider adding two-stroke oil though (lots of info on Disco3 and Freel2 Wink ).

Others may disagree, but I also say that sticking to "premium brands" (i.e. BP, Shell etc.) is also tosh - it's all bought wholesale from the same places and it all has to meet the required standards...

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #476254 Tue Oct 13 2015 3:10pm
Wilson

I tend to agree with what you say about brands, but my knowledge is limited. I just remember from one of my previous performance cars it was recommended to use Momentum 99 petrol, and that was a Tesco fuel, so it kind of went against what I hear about avoiding supermarket fuel and similar rumours.

However the main reason I ask this question is because my most convenient petrol station is Morrison's, so its probably where I'll be filling up mostly, however if it was frowned upon by someone with more diesel knowledge than myself then I would avoid.

Post #476255 Tue Oct 13 2015 3:27pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

As LFW says diesel is diesel, you are right that performance cars require a higher octane petrol.
However there is only really one grade of diesel although some companies claim their more expensive diesels have additives to do all sorts of wonderful things!!

I buy from the most convenient place and that usually is Sainsbury's for me. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #476256 Tue Oct 13 2015 3:33pm
Wilson

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Post #476258 Tue Oct 13 2015 3:35pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Well, not actually. First of all, diesel fuel is rated by cetane number (it's the equivalent measure for "octanes" in petrol). Second - there is a reason the additives are there, the more modern the direct injection mechanism, the more sensitive to low-quality diesel it is. Third - diesel is much more prone to containing water, which is very dangerous to the injection system and engine. This is where the additives may become life-saving. Last but not least, in most continent countries, during winter the premium diesel fuel delivered to the gas stations is actually different from the "summer" fuel and contains additives helping with cold starts. I don't know about the UK, but it may happen as well over there. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #476261 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:19pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Personally I only use shell ultima in the RRS or equivalent. I won't touch any supermarket fuel. All the same,I don't think so. But that's just my opinion. So I pay a little more per litre, who cares !! 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #476268 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:43pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had a 2007MY TDv8 and it definately ran better on branded diesel rather than the supermarket stuff. It ran quieter and smoother and gave better mpg on BP/Shell/ Esso over the the stuff from the local Sainsbury's and Tesco forecourts. I don't know what it was that the majors left out of what the supermarkets were supplied with or what caused it to run better. One thing to be careful with is to make sure that you NEVER put any petrol into it, it can be a very very expensive mistake and is very easily made if you haven't had a diesle car before, even though the petrol nozzle is not supposed to fit into a diesel filler peoples still manage to misfuel! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #476269 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
foxtrotzulu

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

All the evidence, tests, spectrometer tests etc. seem to suggest there is no difference between supermarket fuel and branded fuel. The only time I have ever noticed a difference or had any problems it was with branded fuel.

Post #476275 Tue Oct 13 2015 6:09pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I found the same with the 3.6TDv8 FFRR that I ran from 2010 to 2011, but since then have only used Supermarket diesel except when I am a long way from home and cannot be bothered to go looking for a supermarket forecourt and will use a branded diesel, I have never noticed any difference running either of my 2.2 SD4 Evoques or now my SDv6 RRS2 on supermarket fuel and happily buy it. I don't know if between 2007 and 2010 the supermarket used a higher percentage of biodiesel than they should have, but there was always a difference between branded ans supermarket performance with my 3.6TDv8 back then 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #476276 Tue Oct 13 2015 6:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wilson

Ok it seems like there's two different debates here

1 - Supermarket diesel, sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc VS branded, Shell, BP, Esso etc

2 - standard diesel city?? vs other options Ultima / ultimate diesel Whatever else there is??

I'm glad I asked and interested in all replies.... I'm happy to spend the extra per litre if it makes a difference!

Post #476277 Tue Oct 13 2015 6:30pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That's the key does it make a difference!!

You are either in the camp that believes that is does or not.

I am not I am afraid. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #476278 Tue Oct 13 2015 6:36pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

TheWojtek wrote:
Well, not actually. First of all, diesel fuel is rated by cetane number (it's the equivalent measure for "octanes" in petrol).

To clarify my statement, I didn't mean to say that diesel doesn't have any rating, only that it's rating is much, much lower (15-25 RON) than any petrol, and that a higher number doesn't mean it's better - it means increased knock. Thumbs Up

Quote:
Second - there is a reason the additives are there, the more modern the direct injection mechanism, the more sensitive to low-quality diesel it is.

They all have to meet the relevant standards though, and those are the standards to which the cars are designed for. Wink

Quote:
Third - diesel is much more prone to containing water, which is very dangerous to the injection system and engine. This is where the additives may become life-saving.

Yes, but this is also why the fuel filters have water traps. Thumbs Up

Quote:
Last but not least, in most continent countries, during winter the premium diesel fuel delivered to the gas stations is actually different from the "summer" fuel and contains additives helping with cold starts. I don't know about the UK, but it may happen as well over there.

It does happen here, though I believe it is not specific to premuim fuels because it is also to help prevent the fuel from "sludging". Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #476279 Tue Oct 13 2015 6:38pm
Wilson

This is all very interesting and I'm sitting on the fence still!

So what diesels have what additives and what diesels don't?

I can't say I've ever noticed diesel pumps displaying a rating 15-25 but then I've never (until this moment) ever looked for one... Do they?

Post #476283 Tue Oct 13 2015 7:05pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I have nearly always used supermarket fuel,,,, Asda to be precise, but I always add Millers diesel ecomax as well,, 12 quid or so from Halfords and never had any issues. Did use shell nitro a few times but if it made a difference I didn't notice.
If you want some other options checkout "Archoil", this is another type of fuel additive that is supposed to increase the cetane rating of diesel,,, as you have octane ratings for petrol, you have cetane ratings for diesel. I think their is a website called powerenhancer or something similar,,, can't quite remember,,, probably an age thing!. Does make interest reading though, and a few products to try ( their a bit cheaper on the "bay") 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #476287 Tue Oct 13 2015 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>