RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 06 4.4 HSE Heater matrix question....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

abeachsoul

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
06 4.4 HSE Heater matrix question....

Hi,

So my heater matrix is goosed - heat only coming out of one side despite changing blend actuators etc. Ive reversed the hoses to try and clear any blockage but to no avail so I am now faced with replacing the heater core.

My question is this - has anyone done it without removing the dash? I took the console side panel off mine today and the vertical trim above it and can see the matrix held in with a screw securing a small bracket. The whole core moves back and forth once freed but fouls the dash chassis. I think that cutting a very small part of the dash assembly behind the visible panels will allow the matrix to slide out once disconnected from the hoses - I saw some old P38 videos of guys doing this to dodge having to gut the dash so it may be similar.

Anybody attempted this?

Thanks,
abeachsoul '’16 RRS HSE 3.0 SDV6 - Carpathian Grey - 20" stealth alloys - Premium Merdian retrofit - TV and RSE retrofit - NavTool / Firestick

Post #476168 Mon Oct 12 2015 8:14pm
abeachsoul

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

So I just cracked on with this and sorted it in the end - only took about 30 mins from start to finish.

Tools required:

Torx driver set (pipe clamp bolts and console fixings)
Pliers / pipe wrench (to pinch the pipe clamps together)
Dremel or open ended hack saw

First thing to do is to disconnect the coolant pipes in the engine bay and allow any settled fluid to drain off. These have catches on them that require pinching before you simply pull the pipe section off (they are quite tight so persevere).

Next remove the centre console top panel (stick in Neutral, pull trigger and lift stick off). Remove the bezel around the satnav display and release the two torx bolts holding the front end of the console to the dash.

Then remove the RHS trim panel that extends from the right centre face vent down to the footwell. This is released by pulling directly toward you away from the dash. Undo and remove the cover above the pedal assembly in the driver's footwell and you should then have this:

Now you can see the matrix and the little metal retaining clip help in with one screw. Just release this and spin it out of the way like this:

And now you can release the middle joins of the pipes. Put a tub and a rag beneath this to catch to the coolant that will inevitably drip out. Pipe joins are the middle ones and not the ones on the matrix itself:

You can now see where the matrix will foul the plastic frame by trying to pull it out sideways. At this point the only thing keeping the matrix from coming out is the plastic frame. You can even do this without removing the console side panelt - thought it's easier to do if do remove that too.

Next take the Dremel or saw and make two cuts like below:

Closer detail:

Now the matrix will slide out.

Remove the pipes.

Attach pipes to new matrix with new clips and seals.

Old and new side by side (new was 90 with clips and seals).

Now you can see the ends of the pipes in the footwell to join our new matrix to.

View into the aperture without the matrix installed:

Now insert the new matrix and move the side panel out of the way to allow for it to pass through:

now rotate and secure the plate and connect up the pipes. then reconnect pipes in engine reassemble all panels top up with coolant and burp coolant system.

Job done.

In case you're interested, i cut my old matrix open and found all sorts of sludge clogging it up:

'’16 RRS HSE 3.0 SDV6 - Carpathian Grey - 20" stealth alloys - Premium Merdian retrofit - TV and RSE retrofit - NavTool / Firestick

Post #482016 Wed Dec 09 2015 12:56pm
pbonaceto

United States 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black
Replacement Heater Core Matrix Question

Thank you for the in-depth explanation with photos! I will be attempting to replace my heater core matrix soon in my 2009 RRSPT HST and this will be extremely helpful. If you happen to remember, where did you source the new heater core matrix? It appears to that it will likely have much better flow than the original and probably last significantly longer....

Cheers!

Paul

Post #567213 Thu Oct 18 2018 2:22am
Flatty7

United Kingdom 
Thanks!!

So pleased I’ve just found this thread! Was contemplating a massive full dashboard out job!
Thanks to the OP for this👍🏻👍🏻 2006 HSE 4.4 V8, Java black, 2012 facelift, facelift style tailgate, Ivory leather, Sunroof, Black 20” alloys, DRL’s , 2012 LED rear lights , Autobiography grilles ,Side steps, Custom exhaust.

Post #590481 Fri Nov 15 2019 11:36pm
Davebc

Canada 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Great write up thank you. Has anyone tried replacing the heater matrix on a left hand drive RRS? I’m mid job and having issues with the glove box assembly-looks like more stuff to remove and/or undo to access the upper clamps where pipes join before bulkhead. Any help much appreciated. 2007 Stornaway Grey RRS HSE 4.4 V8

Post #636218 Fri Sep 29 2023 7:33am
Lrstaylor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bali Blue

I just flushed mine sorted it out in 5 minutes

Post #636235 Fri Sep 29 2023 10:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1