RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Dealership Feedback > Taggarts, Maryhill Road, Glasgow - Nightmare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dhallworth

United Kingdom 
Taggarts, Maryhill Road, Glasgow - Nightmare

Posting this here with permission from Martin...

About 3 weeks ago the AB went into Taggarts to have a couple of niggles dealt with and for the front brake flexi recall to be carried out.

The first problem has been ongoing since the car was new, and every other time it has been in they've always sent it home saying they weren't able to replicate the fault. When on the motorway doing 70 - 75mph, if you opened the window and shut it, it didn't seal. Last time it was in for a service in April they decided to email Land Rover and ask for guidance as they couldn't find a fault. Last time it did it I video'd the noise on my phone so that they could see I wasn't making it up. 3 months passed and we didn't hear a thing from them so I phoned them and was told to book it in again. This time I involved Land Rover as it was getting tiresome going back and forth for the same thing. Finally, they changed the door seal and thankfully it appears to have cured the problem.

The second problem was when trying to start the car it was repeatedly clicking 3 or 4 times before it started. Again, this was reported at the service, but again, they were unable to replicate the fault. When I climbed in it to start it when leaving the dealer it clicked 3 times. I video'd this on my phone also as you could guarantee when it was cold that it wouldn't start. Anyway, when it went back in we got a phone call from Sharon on the service desk saying "We can't replicate the fault and there's no faults logged on the ECU so there's nothing wrong with it".

When explaining that I didn't believe the ECU would log a failed attempt to start as the engine didn't actually turn over she got quite defensive and border line rude telling me that I was wrong and implied that I didn't know what I was talking about. Apparently she'd asked the workshop manager who had confirmed she was right. Anyway, they eventually after having the car for 3 days managed to replicate the fault and replaced the starter motor.

When we went to collect the car I noticed that there was quite a noticeable stone chip on the leading edge of the back drivers door that wasn't there when it went in. It looked like they'd opened it and clipped it on the pillar of a ramp or something. As it's a dark coloured car and the chip was bright white it stood out like a sore thumb.

The service manager and workshop controller came out to look at the chip in the carpark before we left and were very apologetic and said they'd get it in and sorted. Brian the service manager asked if we could wait for just over a fortnight as he wanted to be there when it was done so that he could ensure it was right before we collected the car. Despite his request, he was nowhere to be seen when dropping the car off, and when collecting it today he walked straight passed us without even acknowledging us.

Between booking the car in for the remedial work originally and it going in there was a space of 2 weeks. We had previously spoken to them about changing the car for an L405 AB. We asked if they could organise an L405 demonstrator for us to have for a day when ours was in. When at the service desk they handed us the keys to a Discovery Sport stating that the Range Rover was out and no others were available, despite there being 5 sales cars right beside the front door.

By the time we collected the RR it had been in the dealer for 4 days and nobody could tell us how to upgrade the sat nav. Sharon was adamant that we had to go to Navteq to buy the maps despite Navteq not actually existing any more. Here who now do the system clearly state on the website "contact your dealer". Even with this printed and on the table in front of her she was still saying that Taggarts can't help but she'd look into it and call us back. She never did.

Anyway, the car went in on Monday this week to have the chip sorted out. Again, when booking it with the service manager we requested an L405 demo, this time we were given an Evoque with 500 miles on it, we climbed into it to see the Diesel light on and a range of 35 miles on it. Rolling Eyes

We were told that the smart repair guy would just touch in the chip on our car and that would be the end of it. We asked them again, for a 4th time to look into updating the sat nav. Anyway, 48 hours passed and we got a phone call to say the car was ready. When asking about the sat nav, again, nobody knew what was going on. Apparently they've never updated the sat nav on a 12MY car before and they're different from all the others. They've now ordered a USB stick which can take 14 days to arrive so they need the car again.

When we went to get the car today we were told that they ended up painting the entire door. Shocked When we got there it was parked in the shade, a quick look at it and the colour match looked great. When we got it home and parked it in the sun my heart sank... This car has been detailed every 12 months and there isn't a swirl visible on any of it. The paint was perfect. Despite there being a "Do No Wash" sign in the car they've washed it with a brush or something as most panels now have swirls on them, however, the back door that was painted looks like it's been washed with a brillo pad, the leading edge of the drivers door and of the rear quarter have been caught by the machine polisher and the door is just covered in buffer trails. As well as that there are scratches on the door that you can click your finger nail in!! Big Cry

Here's a few not great pictures of the paintwork. When I rang them and complained they said "It's the same guy we use to prep sales cars, he's usually very good". This car is now in worse condition then it was in when we dropped it off. I've told them that it's to be resolved by the detailer that we use regularly at their expense. Yet again, we need to wait for a phone call from the service manager.

Also, despite there being a "Do Not Wash" sign they've washed the whole car rather then just the panel they needed clean.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

How they can think that it's acceptable to send something like this out as being completed is beyond me!

Thinking back a few months, Taggarts also had our Freelander in as we could hear a drumming noise coming from the rear. Apparently they had it on the ramp with a stethoscope on the hubs and diff and couldn't find anything. They said it could be tyres but to rule that out we'd need to buy new tyres or pay labour costs for them to swap them front to back despite it being under warranty.

We took the car away and slowly but surely the noise got worse. It was sent back in and they diagnosed a rear wheel bearing and changed it. The noise went away.

Strange that they couldn't hear the noise or diagnose it the first time around when we could quite clearly hear it in the car.

David. 2002 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #470321 Thu Aug 13 2015 11:55pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 

After telling Taggarts that we didn't trust their "guy" to repair the damage to the car, they agreed to send it to our guy who we've used many a time and have never had any reason to complain. The paint on the car is now flawless again. Despite being asked not to wash the car, and instead of washing just the panel they were repairing they brush washed the entire car meaning the whole car needed a full paint correction. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, here's a few before and during pictures.

Before:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

During:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You can see the massive difference in the two halves of the door. Shocked Anyway, it's now back to the condition it was in before they got their paws on it Smile

Post #475095 Fri Oct 02 2015 9:25pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 

Taggarts agreed to do an update on the sat nav as an apology for the problems that they caused. Land Rover apparently agreed to cover 50% of the cost as long as Taggarts covered the other 50% which doesn't seem right given all of the problems were caused by the retailer. Shocked

Anyway, the Range Rover went in on the Monday morning for the update to be completed. We were given a 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography as a demonstrator whilst the Range Rover was in. The other RR was meant to be going in on Tuesday to get the front brake hose recall completed.

Anyway, Tuesday came and went so on Wednesday morning I called the dealer. Apparently their laptop wasn't running the right software so they needed to update it overnight as the update takes 8 hours... The next day apparently the firmware on the car wasn't right and they managed to corrupt the head unit during the update. The LR Factory spent 4 hours working on the car remotely to resolve that issue on Wednesday. Thursday morning came and they were finally ready to try the download again. This time it worked successfully. The other car then went in on Thursday afternoon and was ready to collect on Friday morning.

Anway, we had a full week to get to grips with the new model.

Click image to enlarge

On the Wednesday we asked them for a price to change... That was 3 weeks ago and we've still not heard back from them Rolling Eyes

Post #475097 Fri Oct 02 2015 9:48pm
jmcvs

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

That's a lot of hassle you've had, maybe time to change your dealer to one that would appreciate your business Thumbs Up 2006 4.2 Supercharged Buckingham blue
2003 BMW X5 4.6is Estoril blue
2006 Yamaha FZ6

Post #475103 Fri Oct 02 2015 11:58pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 

Our other Range Rover and Freelander have been serviced by Team Valley in Newcastle recently. We've got family down there so going on recommendations from other forum members we made the trip down. Service was nothing short of fantastic so that's where we'll be taking this car from now on. Thumbs Up

When it comes to buying a car, we'll go wherever the best deal is and have a weekend away at the same time. This RR came from Yeovil Land Rover in Somerset.

Post #475551 Tue Oct 06 2015 11:21pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Have you tried the other LR dealer in Glasgow? One in Darnley?

That's where I take mine. It's like night & day compared to the maryhill road Taggarts. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #475620 Wed Oct 07 2015 12:47pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

That will is also Taggarts since they were taken over by Lookers Group. They were called Shields but IIRC they are now under the Taggarts banner http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/131..._car_firm/ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #475635 Wed Oct 07 2015 2:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JasM

Yes I am aware of that. However the staff has remained the same from when it was previously Shields.

They actually know how to service cars & diagnose faults, unlike the other Taggarts dealer. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

Post #475672 Wed Oct 07 2015 8:08pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 

We used to use them years ago but were put off by silly problems, hence moving to Maryhill Road.

We asked Taggarts for a price to change the RR just over a month ago now and we've not even heard a peep from them since Rolling Eyes

Post #475701 Wed Oct 07 2015 11:13pm
JasM

Oh ok I understand. Luckily I have been treated well so far

Don't bother with trying to get a deal off them for a L405. They'll just offer you a ridiculously low p/X value, overprice the car they are selling and on top of that offer a high APR rate. Been through this a few times with them Banging Head

Better deals to be had elsewhere. I have bought my last 2 LR's from down South & one from a non-LR dealer. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

Post #475724 Thu Oct 08 2015 9:51am
Tim in Scotland

Concur with JasM's findings, my last 5 Land Rover products have been purchased from both the forum sponsors and I have had great deals that the Central Scottish dealerships refuse to even discuss, they won't even consider the offers that I have had in London despite having previously purchased 6 Land Rover cars in Scotland. Certainly the deals I have had down south have been more than worth the cost of the fuel and hotels to get there and hand over the car for the new one. Also I find that part-ex valuations for cars that have spent their life in Scotland are far higher down south compared to similar cars down there, the dealers love to take in Scottish based cars as they have far fewer dings and dents and fewer scuffed wheels that all need fixing before they can sell them on. The only small drawback that I have found is that dealers in the London area tend to only order Black or very dark blue cars for stock as they sell better although when I took a Giverny Green RRS and a Zanzibar Evoque down south there was a bit of a sharp intake of breath and the comment that they might be difficult to shift on but both cars were sold within a fortnight of me handing them in. I'm very satisfied with the servicing that Morrison's Land Rover at Stirling do on my cars when I don't book them in to the Loondon dealerships for while I am in the south. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #475736 Thu Oct 08 2015 12:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dhallworth

United Kingdom 

The current RR we've got came from down south for the exact reasons you guys have mentioned.

We did a deal with them over the phone and he said he'd call us back the next day to sort out payment. He called back the next day and asked for details to arrange finance. When we told him it was a cash sale he tried to go back on the deal saying that he couldn't offer the same discounts for cash.

When we told Taggarts that the next RR was going to be a cash sale they appeared to loose interest. They seem to be more interested in selling finance then they are cars these days. We had the same problem when we went to the Peter Vardy Car Store in Hillington to look at a new Focus for SWMBO (her choice, not mine!) where they refused to honour the deal they'd agreed unless we financed the car. On both occasions we've left the showrooms without buying anything.

Post #475802 Thu Oct 08 2015 9:08pm
JasM

Just an idea.

Why not just take out the finance and then just pay it off within 14 days ?. I don't think you will be faced with any penalty charges. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

Post #475807 Thu Oct 08 2015 9:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Not sure that you can do that, there is an ongoing thread over on BabyRR.com at the moment where a member wants to buy a new Evoque for cash. He wants to also get the "free" (it isn't as you have to pay the high interest rate on the finance to get it) service pack that comes with the finance - he has found that he has to take minimum of £10,000 finance and the earliest settlement date for the agreement is 6 months after the agreement was taken out. So it is either take the finance for minimum of 6 months and £10,000 or pay 100% cash and then have to buy the service agreement on top. As you say, dealers make more money out of the finance and service agreements than they make as commission on selling you a new car. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #475817 Fri Oct 09 2015 8:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1