RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Couple of Issues on the SVR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

TDV8Mat

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black
Couple of Issues on the SVR

Having been used to locking my 12 plate Sport with the buttons on the doors, I am struggling with the newer 'button-less' locking. When I get out of the car and attempt to lock it, I can't, for around 10-20 seconds. The keyfob works fine, as do all the doors, all be it after a delay. Is this normal?

Also, my car has wifi as standard apparently, but it doesn't work. Dealer said I'd need a simcard, and to get a duplicate from my phone provider. They won't supply me a duplicate, as I could then run 2 phones from one contract as such. Surely wifi should be 'built in' and not require a simcard? I don't need a sim with my router at home?

Any pointers would be great as the Dealership hasn't given me any answers so far....

Apart from that, the SVR is just amazing! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #491664 Thu Mar 24 2016 5:03pm
wilf

Took me a while to get the "touch to lock" thing working, was just practice. Couple of weeks and now it works like a charm.

Sorry, no knowledge on the SIM card thing. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #491665 Thu Mar 24 2016 5:43pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I am assuming when you first get out of the car and try to lock it, your hand/fingers are wrapped around the door handle. This used to work on the previous model but the current one only locks when your hands/fingers are outside the handle and you just touch the lock button with your finger/thumb. Perhaps when you try after a delay your hand has left the inside of the handle so it works?

The car has a wifi hub that can broadcast the signal for your devices to connect but it needs something to connect to the internet and the outside world, the SIM card. Just like your home router is connected to the outside world using your phone line. You could connect your devices wirelessly to your home router or car's wifi without it being connected to a network but it's no fun Smile Get a data only sim from any mobile provider Thumbs Up

In addition to putting a sim card in, you will also need to enable your wifi via the infotainment screen and set a password that your devices and use to authenticate with the car's wifi. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #491667 Thu Mar 24 2016 5:53pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I think the whole "wifi" thing is a misnomer. What they really mean is that the car can provide 3rd party devices access to the internet by a wifi link. But you need to provide the internet link yourself by way of a suitable data sim card. The car, in effect, becomes a big phone which you then use to tether the 3rd party devices through. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #491668 Thu Mar 24 2016 5:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Do you have a 3G or 4G enabled tablet computer with a SIM that you could take out and use for the car? O2 provided me with a nano SIM for free for my new iPad but I still have to pay a monthly data fee. I read somewhere on the SVR threads that someone had found that GiffGaff have very cheap rates on SIM only accounts. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #491671 Thu Mar 24 2016 6:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDV8Mat

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Thanks for the info guys Thumbs Up

Probably won't bother with the whole simcard thing, as obviously I will have my phone on me at all times.

I will make sure my fingers aren't wrapped round the handle when I operate the lock, and see if I get the knack. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #491672 Thu Mar 24 2016 7:17pm
Tim in Scotland

My RRS is a 2015MY and I find the that the best way to lock and unlock is just to tap the dimple gently with my index finger, same as when the cars had the two parallel ridges that hid the sensor. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #491673 Thu Mar 24 2016 7:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Locking is just two strokes of the ridges on the handle. Shocked

WiFi is just that - you need to supply the 3G sim card. 

Post #491674 Thu Mar 24 2016 7:50pm
wilf

No ridges on my handle (although there are on the wife's Ewok). Just dimples.

And yes, my original problem was trying to lock it while wrapping my fingers around the whole handle - that don't work!

A prod from a straightened index finger works fine. Two for double lock. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #491683 Thu Mar 24 2016 8:57pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Yes, sorry, dimple.

It is noticeable that I can lock and unlock the car by pouring water on it with the key in the pocket. Has anyone else noticed this? 

Post #491685 Thu Mar 24 2016 9:01pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

^^^ Yes. Also when I am moving the smart charger cable and it happens to move under the rear bumper corner, gesture tailgate operates if I have the key on me. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #491691 Thu Mar 24 2016 9:30pm
wilf

Yup, kept opening the tailgate with the sponge when washing it, have learned to leave the key in the garage now.

Also can unlock the car with a hose. The water that is............... MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #491695 Thu Mar 24 2016 10:16pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
Yes, sorry, dimple.

It is noticeable that I can lock and unlock the car by pouring water on it with the key in the pocket. Has anyone else noticed this?

The new one had its first wash yesterday, now bear in mind the old one was a 2015, and never had this feature.

Lock / unlock / global lock ( as roof blind had shut) must of been a dozen times in the washing process, and that's when I was no where the door handle sensors, I guess I am fortunate the tailgate release didn't kick in as I cleaned the wheels!!

Post #491708 Fri Mar 25 2016 8:19am
Tim in Scotland

Apart from the problem of getting a wet interior there is the problem of battery drain with all modern Land Rover products when leaving a door or the tailgate even slightly ajar. Last Sunday a friend had to call LRA out to get him going at an off-road event when the tailgate was left open for an hour while he and the family had it open to enjoy a picnic in the sunshine..... Very embarrassing with your shiny new 16 plate RRS at a Land Rover only event. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #491710 Fri Mar 25 2016 8:39am
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 
Re: Couple of Issues on the SVR

TDV8Mat wrote:
Having been used to locking my 12 plate Sport with the buttons on the doors, I am struggling with the newer 'button-less' locking. When I get out of the car and attempt to lock it, I can't, for around 10-20 seconds. The keyfob works fine, as do all the doors, all be it after a delay. Is this normal?

Also, my car has wifi as standard apparently, but it doesn't work. Dealer said I'd need a simcard, and to get a duplicate from my phone provider. They won't supply me a duplicate, as I could then run 2 phones from one contract as such. Surely wifi should be 'built in' and not require a simcard? I don't need a sim with my router at home?

Any pointers would be great as the Dealership hasn't given me any answers so far....

Apart from that, the SVR is just amazing!

If you have a smart phone. Simply turn in the hotspot function to recreate the Wifi internet access option for passengers without the need of an additional SIM. The wifi option is pretty pointless really as most Range Rover owners are going to have smart phones.

Post #491711 Fri Mar 25 2016 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1