RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Lockdown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
Lockdown

Hi all, just a warning for anyone this happens to. I walked away from the car today for an hour, taking the keys with me, but not locking the car. (Its a 60 plate push button start RRS with keyless entry). I returned with the keys about 30 minutes later & pressed the start button but nothing. I tried lots of things like lock/unlock but nothing. The only thing that worked was the radio.
I walked away from the car for 30 minutes again & returned to the car (can't recall if I'd locked it or not this time) & the keyless start worked.
The RAC man I'd called in the meantime told me that the car had got confused (me too!) but does anyone know what actually happened Question

Post #482881 Sat Dec 19 2015 6:50pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I leave mine like that every night,, in the garage and unlocked but never experienced the problem you did 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #482886 Sat Dec 19 2015 7:31pm
Timf

Thanks Gogsy lets see if anyone knows... Confused

Post #482889 Sat Dec 19 2015 7:45pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Well, I'm sort of pleased that this issue has been thrown up, (though sorry for you!).
I have a BMW 330 convertible with keyless entry , which I used to leave quite often last summer with the top down opposite a friend's house and head off with the dogs for a couple of hours walk. Keys with me. On return it would never start and so I had to call out BMW Recovery every time. All manner of faults appeared on the computer, and the dealer replaced the electric steering column, then updated the cas software, then replaced the door handles. However, since the handles have been replaced, due to it being a summer car and not now being left with the top down , it has stayed in the garage at home, but starts fine.
If, however, I left the top down at home last summer, with the keys in the house, and headed off for a few hours the car always started. I always thought that the keyless entry was hunting for a signal and if it wasn't there, got confused and locked the system up. If the keys are in the house then it can relate to them.
I also have had a couple of RRS 2s with keyless, but I have never walked away from them with keys in pocket and the car unlocked for a lengthy time and a distance away, but I would not be suprised if the same occurred!
I think the RAC guy is probably quite correct on his theory...it's mine as well.

Post #482895 Sat Dec 19 2015 9:11pm
Timf

Thanks Peanutbob. The RAC man ran checks by plugging in under the drivers side dash but all was normal so it must be the key hunting issue, which if it cant find it, makes it shut down. I'd be really happy if I knew what sorted it in the time I left it for the second time though in case it happens again! Confused

Post #482896 Sat Dec 19 2015 10:07pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Several times after I had called BMW Recovery, who generally arrive in circa 60 minutes in my area , the car would restart just before the technician turned up! I assumed that the system had reset itself after a period of time when the key was now present. Sometimes it was 30 mins, other times nearly an hour. In fact I used to threaten the car that if it didn't start I'd call out BMW who would probe it's innards ...I think it was listening as when it realised I was serious and hit the call button, it would then decide to start.
However, the last time it refused point blank to start and called my bluff, so I got the car trailered to Halliwell Jones where it sat there sulking for 2 weeks. They fitted the new door handles and it's now sulking in my garage at home..where it can have a splendid Christmas break.

Post #482897 Sat Dec 19 2015 10:31pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

I've had that happen a few times, although mine is not the push button self locking type. I just get out and lock/unlock the car and it starts up fine. I put it down to interference from mobile phone masts

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #482901 Sat Dec 19 2015 11:53pm
Timf

Classic Peanutbob! A great read! Yes, I think I'd liven up PDQ too if I saw a technician approach me with a probe... Shocked

Seems the secret is to put the key somewhere close (but not in the car, as the moody cow might just decide to lock you out next) and wait half an hour.. Rolling Eyes

Post #482919 Sun Dec 20 2015 11:00am
Timf

Codfather, could be phones/masts I guess. I also left the phone in the car when it happened Confused

Post #482921 Sun Dec 20 2015 11:17am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Do you have neighbours within about 100m who have festooned their house/garden/trees with those LED Christmas outside decorations? A few years ago I traced my mysteriously locking and unlocking RRS and Freelander to a neighbours mega display of dripping "snow" effect and flashing icicles, Rudolph on the lawn and Santas all made from cheap Chinese LED festoons to being the cause of my problems.............. It was all cured when they asked my if my cars were having problems locking and mysteriously unlocking as they also had a Freely1............. they tried switching on the LEDs during the day and promptly 3 cars in the courtyard all flashed their indicators and unlocked, switch off LEDs and the cars relocked! Now we have no more mega LED light displays in the courtyard and a solved mystery. I believe that LEDs work on RF and the Chinese cheapos are not well shielded and can cause interference. They can also cause your wifi to struggle at this time of year apparently so don't park near to big displays of LED lights in gardens and on houses! Bah Humbug........... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #482941 Sun Dec 20 2015 2:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Timf

Thanks Tim, none that I saw at my mate's which is a remote farmhouse. Aha, but he's got a big area of PV solar panels just behind the yard....who knows.. Rolling Eyes

Post #482948 Sun Dec 20 2015 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1