RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > JE, Turbochip, Larini etc - Warranty Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Kaine

United Kingdom 
JE, Turbochip, Larini etc - Warranty Question

Could anyone let me know if there is a formal position from LR regarding these modifications? - both engine remapping and exhaust system upgrades

I know the suppliers give there own warranty, however it seems as if this is only 1 year plus of course there components could be argued to effect other parts of the cars system - or am I missing something

I've done this before on cheaper vehicles, however before considering it on my RRS I'd like to be sure that I'm not going to walk into a potential whole lot of trouble

Thanks for any comments

Kaine

Post #64099 Sun Oct 29 2006 8:16pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I know the exhaust only has a years warranty on it! RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #64103 Sun Oct 29 2006 8:20pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

talked to my dealer about the turbochip and they said would be no problem Shocked as they use turbochip or equivelent themselves but obviously cheaper for me to have it done independantly

which im thinking of doing shortly 

Post #64114 Sun Oct 29 2006 8:46pm
tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

==

Last edited by tasmod on Tue Jan 14 2014 11:46am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #64125 Sun Oct 29 2006 8:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

well its the 'grey area' that worries me - maybe a silly question but haven't you clarified this with LR directly yourselves to avoid the confusion?

Post #64127 Sun Oct 29 2006 8:59pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I've fitted the JE Engineering/Larini exhaust - can't see how fitting this is really going to land me in the sh*** with landrover? or have a knock on adverse effect to the engine/car in general Confused If you ask me its a better built product than the OE one by far...................

What about all those people out there who have upgraded their wheels etc to the bigger 22" ones Confused

Engine mods are always a different story Rolling Eyes HHHhhmmmmm Confused Confused Confused all I can say is they won't be aproved by LR 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #64128 Sun Oct 29 2006 9:06pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
I've fitted the JE Engineering/Larini exhaust - can't see how fitting this is really going to land me in the sh*** with landrover? or have a knock on adverse effect to the engine/car in general Confused If you ask me its a better built product than the OE one by far...................

What about all those people out there who have upgraded their wheels etc to the bigger 22" ones Confused

Engine mods are always a different story Rolling Eyes HHHhhmmmmm Confused Confused Confused all I can say is they won't be aproved by LR

cheers MDP - thanks for your input - thats basically how I see it too

Post #64130 Sun Oct 29 2006 9:10pm
Pelyma

England 

To void the warranty LR would have to prove it was the modification that caused the issue (including 22" wheels) My difficulty is how the hell are you to prove them wrong? The dealerships that sell the modifications themselves aren't such an issue, but those like mine that don't leave you on thin ice. I take on board that the diagnostics are unlikley to detect the changes, but if your engine has gone bang (technical term) and LR themselves get involved I don't believe that wouldn't be the one of the first things they would look for.

All that having been said, if you are going to go that route, picking a reputable company that has done its homework, such as JE and TC must minimise any of these risks.

Post #64185 Mon Oct 30 2006 9:59am
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Here's a cautionary tale.

I had the ECU in my wife's Saab 9,5 (petrol) Estate replaced with an upgraded unit from a reputable supplier - which, under the terms of settlement, I cannot name.

The moment the ECU was installed by the dealer, the ESP unit failed. This Bosch unit also regulates the ABS and other safety systems. The dealer immediately pointed to the ECU upgrade as the culprit, the importer agreed and informed me that not only was the failed part not going to be covered under warranty, but that my entire warranty (on a two month old car) was in abeyance unless I restored the car with a factory ECU.

Which I did.

What did this cost me? The price of the upgraded ECU which was an exchange unit. A new ECU to replace this one and the ESP/ABS module which cost over 4,000 EUR. In short, a goodly chunk of cash...

Of course, I went after the upgrade guys....and came to an out of court settlement (things got nasty), which, after deducting legal costs, left we with about 600 GBP. Needless to say, I was still substantially out of pocket.

So there you have it. Things can go wrong with an ECU upgrade whether the actual failure is directly related to the upgrade or not. Either way, will you have the skill and means to mount an effective fight?

I've had the ECU on my Volvo upgraded without any problems and would love to do the RRS...but the wife will not hear of it. Crying or Very sad 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #64195 Mon Oct 30 2006 11:47am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

I think an exhaust mod is in order Cool

Post #64196 Mon Oct 30 2006 12:42pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

If you read the handbook, it say modifications to engine management are not approved.

We all know quite a few people who have done it. I suppose only time will tell.

Guess you will have to miss out on the benefits while you wait Wink Very Happy

As for the exhaust, as long as you don't interfere with the Cats, then there are no issues. Lets face it exhausts do wear out/get damaged.

I should think keeping a regular check on oil levels is probably important. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #64197 Mon Oct 30 2006 12:44pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Josh wrote:
If you read the handbook....

Shocked Shocked Laughing Cool

Thanks Josh - just shows I should RTFM

Post #64198 Mon Oct 30 2006 12:55pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Nasty tale, Singletrack Crying or Very sad

Who need handbooks anyway? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #64272 Mon Oct 30 2006 5:01pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Kaine,

I only got to that bit in the manual the other day by accident. Its somewhere near the back in small print. Its not as though LR have stuck it in bold on page one where someone might notice it Rolling Eyes TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #64359 Mon Oct 30 2006 11:56pm
noddy and bigears

England 
true it seems

just read a post on disco 3 about lack of input these days from site sponsers seeing as none have decided to reply to your post it appears true.maybe to busy going from strength to strength or watching your truck go into the gravel Laughing time for another guinness Wink

Post #64928 Sat Nov 04 2006 11:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>