Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Best RRS for £16k
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

londonl

Best RRS for £16k

Hi all

Newbie alert....

So, having always wanted a RR and latterly a RRS, I now come to a point where I am changing my car and could consider one.

Its a weekend car so not huge mileage but equally I will struggle to put all my hard earned into something much more than 65,000 miles.

My question is whats my best option with a budget of £16,000?

My instinct is to go as new as I can with less options and miles - is this good logic?

I would love to get into the 2009-201- bracket as this appears to be when the shape changed slightly - is this right? Is the engine better too? I guess I won't without going high mileage?

Whats the best all round engine option? I know it won't be quick but the 2.7 is about 11 secs 0-60 which puts me off a little.

I am not mechanically minded and the idea of having huge bills scares me...!

Apologies for the questions but you guys seem to know your stuff!

Thanks

Luke

Post #474035 Wed Sep 23 2015 7:05pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The consensus when this question has been asked previously is go for a supercharged. If you can cope with 10 mpg. Less expensive to buy and bullet proof engine. The other big bill items like suspension however are the same as other models. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #474056 Wed Sep 23 2015 8:57pm
Frax

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

This will be of no help to you but I prefer to go old and low miles.
My reasons being that all the components on the car would have done a lot less work and might last a lot longer before they go wrong and start costing money.
As a guide but probable not a very good one as prices have huge differences depending where you stay.
I traded in a 2007 RRS with 68k and got £16000 for it against a 2012 RRS.
Be careful what you buy and get warranty.
I did not think the 2.7 was that sluggish for its size and weight but try one for yourself.
I had an Audi TT before it.
The interior was the main change along with the one piece rear door and I think that was 2010. Lot of Landcruisers now sold
Audi TT 240 Sport now sold for.
RRS 2.7 HSE Now sold for.
RRS Autoibiography 2012
Defender 300tdi 90

Post #474058 Wed Sep 23 2015 9:03pm
londonl

Paddi wrote:
The consensus when this question has been asked previously is go for a supercharged. If you can cope with 10 mpg. Less expensive to buy and bullet proof engine. The other big bill items like suspension however are the same as other models.

Wow 10mpg really is bad, especially as I probably drive more aggressively/faster than average so may be less than that!

Which engines are the super charged ones? I am new to this - will they be clearly listed as such?

Is there a guide on real life MPG for each engine?

Post #474067 Wed Sep 23 2015 9:48pm
londonl

Frax wrote:
My reasons being that all the components on the car would have done a lot less work and might last a lot longer before they go wrong and start costing money.
As a guide but probable not a very good one as prices have huge differences depending where you stay.
I did not think the 2.7 was that sluggish for its size and weight but try one for yourself.
The interior was the main change along with the one piece rear door and I think that was 2010.

It's definitely of help, thank you very much for your insight. I am definitely here to canvass opinion rather than come with fixed ideas.

Sounds like I need to get out there and give a couple a spin - I think the problem was that I was thinking about getting a Boxster (two very different cars) so have been perhaps obsessing over 0-60 figures forgetting that anything else will sound slow but in real life quite acceptable.

It's a balance between age, mileage, specification, and looks - a tough balance!

Post #474069 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:06pm
azz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Hi,

The supercharged ones are the petrols. In all honesty if you are worried about mpg and 'used car' reliability I would question buying a Range Rover, and certainly a 16k one.

I would very much doubt 16k would get you a FY10 (2009 onwards) car with anywhere near 65k on. It would almost certainly be a 100k+ car, very likely a cat D or C too.

Best to look for an older model with a solid service record, in the best condition you can find and factor in circa £750 for a good warranty.

I went from a 3.0 Z4 and a Freelander to the one car, Sport. Despite the claimed mpg my 2010 3.0 diesel does low 20s as I almost solely drive short distances around town - the 2.7 would probably be a little worse and the petrols even more so. That said diesel is cheaper and its by far the best car I've owned irrespective of the cost.

My advise would be if your buying budget and running budget is restricted, you're best avoiding . If you can afford both (and factor in a bit more than you think) then go for it - they are fantastic cars to drive and own, there really isn't nothing else like them 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate
Mods - 21" Style 101 Alloys / Sidesteps / De-badged Rear / LED Lighting / Autobiography Grill & Vents / Remote FBH w/GPS

Post #474070 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:15pm
londonl

I'm not so much questioning it just wanting to get some real life information on figures and models.

I know that with most marquee there are certain years or equipment which are known to cause problems, VW have the flywheel, Porsche have the 05-07 problem with the IMS, so I guess I just want to seek out any known issues to avoid where possible.

We all know owning a RR or any other prestige badge immediately means a huge bill could be round the corner but if you can bypass that corner or make it further away it's worth some research

Would it seem logical that the 3.0 TDV6 is the best all round for performance vs MPG vs reliability?

Post #474076 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:39pm
azz

londonl wrote:
Frax wrote:
The interior was the main change along with the one piece rear door and I think that was 2010.

It's definitely of help, thank you very much for your insight. I am definitely here to canvass opinion rather than come with fixed ideas.

Sounds like I need to get out there and give a couple a spin - I think the problem was that I was thinking about getting a Boxster (two very different cars) so have been perhaps obsessing over 0-60 figures forgetting that anything else will sound slow but in real life quite acceptable.

It's a balance between age, mileage, specification, and looks - a tough balance!

Its definitely worth going and test driving some cars to see if you really want a 4x4 or a sports car first. As I said before the RRS is by far the best car I have owned (largely because it does everything I want of a car right now) but it doesn't replace the fun driving and agility of a sports car, in my case the Z4. There are days I still miss it and makes me look through the classifieds for another. 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate
Mods - 21" Style 101 Alloys / Sidesteps / De-badged Rear / LED Lighting / Autobiography Grill & Vents / Remote FBH w/GPS

Post #474079 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:41pm
azz

londonl wrote:
I'm not so much questioning it just wanting to get some real life information on figures and models.

I know that with most marquee there are certain years or equipment which are known to cause problems, VW have the flywheel, Porsche have the 05-07 problem with the IMS, so I guess I just want to seek out any known issues to avoid where possible.

We all know owning a RR or any other prestige badge immediately means a huge bill could be round the corner but if you can bypass that corner or make it further away it's worth some research

Would it seem logical that the 3.0 TDV6 is the best all round for performance vs MPG vs reliability?

That would almost certainly be the MY12 cars in my opinion but considerably more - £30k+, second to that would be in my opinion the MY10 3.0. If mpg wasn't an issue then the MY10 petrol. Whilst there were many changes to the MY10 the biggest difference that owners say is the interior changes 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate

Post #474081 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:45pm
azz

You may also find the below user guide helpful and its always worth reading the reviews on piston heads, parkers, honest john etc

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...uide~0.pdf 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate

Post #474083 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:50pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

To give you some idea of real costs, I have a 2010 SE, with 65k miles. current WBAC/recent trade in value is a tad over £20k. The 3.0l v6 is strong and reliable and the interior is much nicer than the pre facelift ones ,2005-2009.
I get around 27-28mpg mixed town/motorway driving.
Up to 4 1/2 years it didn't have any problems, then last year I had a run of the usual breakages.(all about £800 each within a month of each other) 3 wishbones replaced (rubbers go, but easier to do the rule wishbone, the electric parking brake motor went, and the alternator was changed. I recon I'd get another 3 years out of it before they all need replaced again!
Servicing once a year alternates between £400 and £700 if nothing needs done, but I have replaced the front and rear pads twice and new discs all round at the beginning of the year. I go through a set of tyres every 15000 miles at about £200 a corner.
Mine being an SE, it doesn't have a few of the gizmos, like reversing camera/cool box etc, and the leather is not as grained as the HSE. An HSE from 2010 will cost about £24k I recon.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #474084 Wed Sep 23 2015 10:58pm
codfather

Here is a fairly well specced SE on autotrader, in fact it is almost full HSE spec

Land Rover Range Rover Sport 3.0 TD V6 SE 5dr
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/land...friend_car MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #474088 Wed Sep 23 2015 11:08pm
londonl

azz wrote:
londonl wrote:

That would almost certainly be the MY12 cars in my opinion but considerably more - £30k+, second to that would be in my opinion the MY10 3.0. If mpg wasn't an issue then the MY10 petrol. Whilst there were many changes to the MY10 the biggest difference that owners say is the interior changes

Thank you for this and the other posts, I think you're right I need to get out and try one for real and see what I think. At the moment I have no need for a large car or even for seats but equally I may not be able to afford the RR when the need for four seats arises....but that's a fair way off at least.

I think I am keen to have the post 2009 interior so I reckon I need to up the budget to £20/21k minimum

Post #474089 Wed Sep 23 2015 11:10pm
londonl

codfather wrote:
To give you some idea of real costs, I have a 2010 SE, with 65k miles. current WBAC/recent trade in value is a tad over £20k. The 3.0l v6 is strong and reliable and the interior is much nicer than the pre facelift ones ,2005-2009.
I get around 27-28mpg mixed town/motorway driving.
Up to 4 1/2 years it didn't have any problems, then last year I had a run of the usual breakages.(all about £800 each within a month of each other) 3 wishbones replaced (rubbers go, but easier to do the rule wishbone, the electric parking brake motor went, and the alternator was changed. I recon I'd get another 3 years out of it before they all need replaced again!
Servicing once a year alternates between £400 and £700 if nothing needs done, but I have replaced the front and rear pads twice and new discs all round at the beginning of the year. I go through a set of tyres every 15000 miles at about £200 a corner.
Mine being an SE, it doesn't have a few of the gizmos, like reversing camera/cool box etc, and the leather is not as grained as the HSE. An HSE from 2010 will cost about £24k I recon.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Dave

Thank you Dave, that's greatly appreciated. That's really tough luck having all those go in a month of another, do you have a warranty at all for things like this it would they go down as consumables?

It's certainly not a cheap ride but then I imagine when all working well you feel like the king of the road and travel in speed and luxury and I think this is the great appeal. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember and as I get closer to it the excitement isn't going away!

Thank you for the autotrader link, funnily enough I had just said I needed to up the budget to £20/21k and you find something slap bang on that price. I do love the look of that car and the finish of the interior

My instinct says to hold out a bit longer until I can more comfortably afford that age/spec/interior but am worried I will always want the one I can't quite afford!

Post #474091 Wed Sep 23 2015 11:17pm
codfather

The wishbone rubbers are consumables, so wouldn't be covered, the rest would have been if I had warranty! If you buy from a dealer,they are adding in two years warranty at the moment.
I usually change my car every 3 years, but love this one, so have hung onto it. I had a look at the new one and the discovery sport, but neither has the same load space as the old one (regularly fill it with bikes and Jetski stuff) so will be hanging onto it a bit longer.
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #474093 Wed Sep 23 2015 11:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>