RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > Gumball 2007 or 8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red
Gumball 2007 or 8

A couple of us (Porker Cayenne T s) and me, TDV8 are considering doing the above event. Anybody fancy;

Riding shotgun?

Joining in with their cars?

I have done this before in a F355 but the 2007 event is even more ambitious. London to Asia and back so, a 4 x 4 is ideal considering the butt numbing potential of a 3k mile trip each way.

See
http://www.gumball3000.com/features/news/2007-route-confirmed for more info.

Any takers? - First off respond in the affirmative on open forum then we can start PM's and get some details sorted - there may be a discount if there are 4 or more vehicles but don't expect much.

Hope to hear from some of you with a bit of leisure time available.

PS. If you don't smoke don't bother thinking about riding with me, I won't stop and I don't stop!
Wink 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #63990 Sat Oct 28 2006 11:53pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Sorry.. mate, what you offering here.. a seat in your car or asking other people to join in on the fun? OR Both??

Me and Jay had spoken about this before, and were saying an S65 AMG would be an ideal car to do this in.. but a TDV8 would be great too!!

If you're offering a seat in your car.. how much for a seat?
And do we get to do any driving too? Not concerned either way.. but would be good..

Oh just to say.. if details can be sorted out.. I'll make the time free!!
Very Happy

Post #63993 Sun Oct 29 2006 12:13am
M@verik

As a previous entrant I can take me plus 1 for 24k The plus 1 is sorted and another is welcome at 8k (those are Gumball 2007 prices not mine). The driving bit is best shared between all, subject to our being happy with the third participants driving! Do you have a competition license (it’s not a requirement of Gumball but it does indicate certain things) and are you willing to do say a 1k mile test with us to see how we get on? Last time we practiced with a Bristol – Paris - Bristol (993 miles) trip in 12.5hrs including channel crossings that way we knew we could thrash the 355 and it would keep going in theory for long enough to complete most legs.

Porker has so far got no passengers but his anti will be 28k so the second seat is 14k.

Fuel sharing will add another 1k and the rest is up to the individual but 5k per person over the entry sub is plenty.

When we went last time there were a couple of SL55 AMG's Great sounds but too slow (155 limiters) to make big cruising speed advantage over the high fuel consumption. Good range and comfort is an advantage especially on longer trips. S65 has the comfort and toys to keep you amused but I think the consumption will again be a problem, that’s why I'm not even considering taking my Aston even though it cruises in another world from SL55's and other AMG stuff (if they still have limiters – most do).

A Bentley Conti GT is ideal but IMO vile and gauche. The 4 door version – I forget what VW call it – could be the perfect car if 180mph is doable for good distances on the any of the route. Having said that, a VW Phaeton with the V10d would be better and VW would probably lend one for the publicity. Non turbo 997's are ok and the Cayenne may be alright. Two seater Ferrari's are hard work and risky because of car jackers and breakdowns. A lambo might be ok if its an Audi built one and even your old A4 thing would just about do it but the ride could irritate. In the end it’s the usual horses for courses a 997 will probably win ahead of a Veyron or two but good 4x4’s often beat a lot of faster cars…. just like the tortoise.

So Kam, are you interested or what? 11 XFR

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

Post #63996 Sun Oct 29 2006 1:03am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Mav.. i'm very interested.. although will have to be honest.. I'm spread too thin this year to even contemplate the expense..! (unless things dramatically change, and some investments come to fruit a LOT sooner!)

However, i think you will get a participant off this forum if any..
Will definately like to be kept in the loop though for future years.. And will bear it in mind, if the offer is open for future years also...?

Thanks for the offer though.. so who else is interested then?
If i suddenly decide that life's too short and have to do this now.. then i'll definitely be pm'ing you. Don't worry about my driving.. i can hack as much as necessary..! no competition license (yet) but will be looking into this now that you've made me aware.. have an IAM certificate if this makes any difference!?
Laughing Embarassed

You booking in for 08 too?

I think you're right about the AMG's and think the new M5/M6 etc would have the same problem too.. and to be honest the range and consumption of the RS4 leaves a lot to be desired even on long haul.. simply due to the fact that the fuel tank is the same size as all the other A4's but has a highly ferocious V8 slurping from it.. not a 2.0T FSI!!

I think a 4x4 is a good idea, and i think a TDV8 will do the trick nicely..
Would love to join you mate, and to be honest have got me thinking..! Surprised

Post #63997 Sun Oct 29 2006 1:15am
M@verik

You will enjoy it either way - of course I'll keep you in the loop. I am waiting to find out if 2007 is even available. they may be booked out. 2008 is too early to say I try to get a vague idea of the anticipated route even rumours of first. Next years is along one but since the TV coverage there seem to be a lot more takers.

Failing the 2007 being avialable then theres always the opportunity of doing our own. Meridan to Milan. Walsall to Wencislas Square - whatever.

Actually I do fancy taking an RRS back over the Alps with some snow around so the Milan trip could be worth doing. 11 XFR

Post #64000 Sun Oct 29 2006 1:29am
closeshave

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

What year did you take part in Gumball??

I did 2003 SF to Miami in my 996 Cab and 2004 Paris to africa in my Porsche GT2.

I don't really agree with you about the best choice of car. I think any 4x4 is useless for the event. There were 2 Porsche cyanne Gamballa 600 on the event in 04 and they were miles behind.

I also did Cannonball run europe in 2004 and that was nothin short of a hopeless event.

Post #72060 Fri Dec 22 2006 9:24am
braveheartxxxxx

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

ERROR

Post #72578 Fri Dec 29 2006 7:21pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

Let me jump in and say that I to would be very interested in next years event if we can sort something out. That's 3 already me, Kam and JayMann, Kam and I will talk him into it. Very Happy Very Happy

I'd like to the one Closeshave has done SF to Miami, if that ever comes up.

Post #72614 Sat Dec 30 2006 10:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeP

United Kingdom 

Man you chaps are un-believably lucky! Really! I would if only I was but a few years older and could persuade dad to pay Laughing Laughing

I will however attempt to come to the start this year! So if you are participating then perhaps a meeting could take place. Michael Potter
Rangey Lover/BMW Driver

Post #72631 Sat Dec 30 2006 10:11pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

misery wrote:
Let me jump in and say that I to would be very interested in next years event if we can sort something out. That's 3 already me, Kam and JayMann, Kam and I will talk him into it. Very Happy Very Happy

I'd like to the one Closeshave has done SF to Miami, if that ever comes up.

Simon,

u refering to 2007? I've spoke about this with friends for years and mean to do something or something like it, however 2007 is no good for me - depending on the plans that is Confused

If we said 2008, then I could basically fix that now and save for it Wink

Kaine

Post #72635 Sun Dec 31 2006 9:09am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

The price of this jaunt is total madness! I wish I could come!!! Wife, 3 kids, mortgage! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Open to donations. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #72636 Sun Dec 31 2006 9:21am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

This is one if my dream things i want to do in my life time but £8k/£10K just isn't gonna happen!! RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #72640 Sun Dec 31 2006 10:06am
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

I would love to do it but can you imagine the sort of grief you would get off the mrs if you spent that sort of money on that trip, you would never hear the end of it.

Oh, come to think of it mine my pay that much to get rid of me for a while,now theres an angle Laughing some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #72641 Sun Dec 31 2006 10:23am
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

closeshave wrote:
What year did you take part in Gumball??

I did 2003 SF to Miami in my 996 Cab and 2004 Paris to africa in my Porsche GT2.

I don't really agree with you about the best choice of car. I think any 4x4 is useless for the event. There were 2 Porsche cyanne Gamballa 600 on the event in 04 and they were miles behind.

I also did Cannonball run europe in 2004 and that was nothin short of a hopeless event.

Friend of mine's wife did the logistics for the European event this year (she used to do logistics for the Danish army) and apparently it went off quite well. Including the Antonov's to air lift the cars from one continent to the next. My mate and his co-driver did the whole thing, right up to the closing party in California.

Listening to him though, it does seem like more of a meandering party with some driving thrown in from time to time. He did it in a 2003 Porsche C4 - start grid team 61. There seems to have been several FFRR S/C in this year's event. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #72642 Sun Dec 31 2006 10:26am
Misery

United Kingdom 

Kaine No mate i was talking about 08. So that will give us time obvioulsy depending on where it is going to happen, I would love to do a run in the USA.

Don't worry about JayMann he will do it so will Kam Very Happy Wink Very Happy Wink Very Happy Wink Very Happy

Ps Happy New Year to you all!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Post #72666 Sun Dec 31 2006 2:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>