Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Front drivers light - motor that lifts the lights up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

stewarttownsend

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey
Front drivers light - motor that lifts the lights up

Hi

So Im probably going to botch up the explanation but have a RR Sport HST 2008 a 58 plate, the lights lift themselves up at start but it seems the drivers side one has stopped doing this and is just pointing down.

Is there a motor or something that can be replaced or this a full headlight replacement ?

Does this make sense Smile Other motor - Gran Turismo S 4.7 MC Shift

Post #476571 Fri Oct 16 2015 12:16pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The motor isn't available separately as far as I can see. Have you checked all the connections etc.? Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #476581 Fri Oct 16 2015 1:43pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mine does this from time to time. A restart of the engine with the lights set to "on" usually makes it do its alignment "dance". Usually this works first time but sometimes it needs a second go. It's done this for the last 4+ years... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #476674 Fri Oct 16 2015 9:27pm
RRSTDV8

Mine has been doing this a fair bit the last couple of weeks so I've been done some reading.

The light system monitors itself as part of this calibration routine. If the headlight levelling sensor is showing issues then the system sets the light slightly lower than normal. If the swivelling position sensor is showing issues then it sets the light very low in order to ensure no dazzling of oncoming vehicles if the light is pointing off at an angle.

This is a useful diagnostic because the system doesn't normally record any error codes for this fault.

I note that there are three separate fuses involved: one is the main headlight levelling system (needed for legal reasons) and the other two power the right and left swivelling systems. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if removing the relevant swivelling fuse will stop the light from setting itself very low. Maybe it will just see it as an issue and do it anyway. Alternatively I might try pulling the levelling fuse but I reckon that this will throw an error on the dash.

The fuses are all in the glove box fusebox. Fuse 27 (10A) for the main levelling system, Fuse 56 (10A) for the left hand adaptive light, Fuse 61 (10A) for the right hand adaptive light.

I have also discovered that if you ask your IID Tool to clear headlight faults the headlights undergo their calibration routine. This seems like a better idea than turning the engine on and off several times - my previous way of getting the lights to rerun the calibration routine.

When I get a spare hour I shall have a look inside the headlight unit and see if I can see the sensors. I might see if removing the AFS power control module on the right hand headlight causes any faults. I've noted that someone (naylor04) has posted an issue where they have one AFS headlight and one non-AFS headlight on the car. If this works without faults on the dash then it might give a cheap fix for those not too worried about the AFS functionality.

Failing any way of sorting the affected unit, the only other option is a replacement headlight. Big money if new. Gulp! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #480329 Wed Nov 18 2015 8:37pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

My lights have never danced- MY 05. Should they?

Post #480337 Wed Nov 18 2015 9:10pm
RRSTDV8

Only if you have the adaptive headlights fitted. Mine adaptive don't appear to dance very often but I think they do it when there is an ignition signal. This means that they can have done the dance before you turn on the lights themselves. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #480343 Wed Nov 18 2015 9:50pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

If I may wade into the "headlight dance" section...which is called the Initialisation Procedure

Initialisation Procedure

When the AFS control module receives an ignition on signal, the control module performs the initialisation procedure which ensures that the headlamps are correctly aligned on both their vertical and
horizontal axes.

The headlamp leveling initialisation takes less than 3 seconds to complete. The headlamp leveling motors are powered from their current position, which can be either the upper or lower limit or
somewhere in between, to their lower position and then back to the 0 degrees position.

The AFS swivel initialisation starts less than 1 second after the headlamp leveling initialisation is activated to ensure that the headlamps are at or below the 0 degree position in the vertical axis, thus
preventing glare to oncoming vehicles. The AFS swivel initialisation is completed in less than 2.5 seconds. The LH and RH AFS actuator motors are powered from the 0 degree position to their fully
inboard position, then to their fully outboard position and then back to the 0 degree position.

Cool Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #480361 Thu Nov 19 2015 9:43am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
When I get a spare hour I shall have a look inside the headlight unit and see if I can see the sensors. I might see if removing the AFS power control module on the right hand headlight causes any faults. I've noted that someone (naylor04) has posted an issue where they have one AFS headlight and one non-AFS headlight on the car. If this works without faults on the dash then it might give a cheap fix for those not too worried about the AFS functionality.

Failing any way of sorting the affected unit, the only other option is a replacement headlight. Big money if new. Gulp!

You can always disable them to fit non-adaptives. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #480378 Thu Nov 19 2015 1:30pm
Stephen J

Netherlands 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I have encountered this problem recently. Previous posts are very helpful, but I was wondering what would cause these issues. Is it the servos in the light? If they move to a certain degree to prevent blinding, they are still moving, right? Any way to adjust these things? And if you replace the lights with non adjustable ones, what do you need to do to make sure it does not throw fault codes and all? Any information would be great, as long as I do not have to dish out a lot of money, I'm game. Cool

Post #480404 Thu Nov 19 2015 6:56pm
RRSTDV8

Lost for Words wrote:

You can always disable them to fit non-adaptives. Thumbs Up

That would be a CCF edit, presumably. Hadn't thought of that to be honest.

I haven't played with CCF using my IID for fear of doing something daft! Embarassed 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #480406 Thu Nov 19 2015 7:09pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Got a Brand New pair of Hella AFS Headlights in garage if anyone needs them. Intend to put them in for sale section when I get around to taking pictures.

Cheers
Col

Post #480407 Thu Nov 19 2015 7:16pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Lost for Words wrote:

You can always disable them to fit non-adaptives. Thumbs Up

That would be a CCF edit, presumably. Hadn't thought of that to be honest.

Yep, a few things changed and then you can remove it all. Thumbs Up

Quote:
I haven't played with CCF using my IID for fear of doing something daft! Embarassed

Safe as the IID is, it's never an unwise decision. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #480466 Fri Nov 20 2015 9:55am
stagfinder

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Hi Guys mine has done the same thing twice now and it was the drivers side both time all i had to do was disconect and then plug back in turn the lights on and start the car and they did the reset also i did have a spare light that i took to bits but car,t see anyway or thing you can change and their is a guy up i manchester who sells second hand ones from conversion jobs in his body shop that he sells on ebay for 150 each thats the afs ones normal lights i think he was doing for 100.

Post #483070 Mon Dec 21 2015 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1