RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Is an SVR be a worthwhile investment for a pension lumpsum ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Is an SVR be a worthwhile investment for a pension lumpsum ?

I'm only a year from retirement and while my pension isn't great the lumpsum I can take is tax free and substantial. I'm not talking about cashing in pension rights like us over 55's can now do but blowing part of my lump sum payment from an industrial pension to buy a really nice "last new car" or would waiting and buying a D5 or Defender replacement be a more sensible way to blow it? Madness or "a good thing" - I'm single, house is paid for, no credit card debts or loans other than finance on my current RRS.. At the moment I'm only in the UK for 6 months a year and rack up 8-10k miles a year in the RRS and a Defender. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #469944 Sun Aug 09 2015 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frax

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I think the Defender would be your best option if you are looking for an investment. Only thing is I was told orders are now closed for these.
If its confort and speed you are after it has to be the RR SVR but if you sell you will loose loads over time.
I am sure you know that though.
But what a way to go Very Happy Very Happy

Post #469945 Sun Aug 09 2015 5:41pm
Tim in Scotland

I cancelled an order for a Yulong White run out special edition Defender Adventurer 110 to buy the RRS! What I meant was investing in the replacement for the Defender, whatever comes post end of production in December. I run a 1996 300TDi 90 now alongside the RRS and the reason for cancelling the order was because I borrowed a 110 for a couple of days and decided that I couldn't live with one as my only car 100% of the time even in run out spec they still are not the car to drive from Stirling to London in in a day, parking in town is a nightmare with them and I'm not so sure that the Adventurer or Autobiography Defenders will hold their value as well as the end of production Heritage versions which were completely sold out within days of the 7th January, the day they were anounced, as were the 80 Autobiography 90's that the UK got. But at 61,000 a pop I think they will be less desirable a few years down the line and really for that price there should have been an automatic version available. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #469947 Sun Aug 09 2015 6:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Look at it this way , if the SVR is worth 2k in ten years time think yourself lucky that you lived another ten years ! Life is far more precious than ANY car mate .

Post #469948 Sun Aug 09 2015 6:02pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I would not do it. You already have a decent car. Sure an SVR would be nice, but there are more rewarding ways to burn 100k over a few years than this. When the novelty of the SVR wears off (as it definitely will), what are you left with? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #469949 Sun Aug 09 2015 6:25pm
Frax

I know how the Defenders are, rebuilt my 1995 4 year ago and still drive it most days.

Post #469951 Sun Aug 09 2015 6:32pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Tim. very similar situation to myself in respect of lifestyle! House paid for, single , pension and so forth, and I took drawdown tax free in the last tax year.This funded the p/ex difference from a 2013 RRS to a end April 2015 RRS and also a 2 yr old BMW 330 convertible purchased in Jan.
I've always had 2 quite disimilar cars, a RRS/D4/Defender and then a swiftish convertible - bimmers, Loti , Stags etc etc, so it's like chalk and cheese. Park the RRS up for a few weeks and enjoy the other side of motoring....then return to the RRS and wow , such a change!
So, what about as follows:

Porsche 997 Carrera S convertible : 09/10 plate ish..buy in mid winter @ 30/35k. They'll likely bottom out at 20k and then increase.
Previous shape Merc SL 350/500 with the twin round lamps : 07/08 plate ish in black : future classic imo. 13/14k in the winter. Nothing to lose.

Keep the RRS and have another completely different drive. Works for me as I look forward to driving both cars without taking either of them for granted!

Post #469955 Sun Aug 09 2015 7:50pm
roscopcoltrane

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

peanutbob is making a LOT of sense Thumbs Up

Post #469957 Sun Aug 09 2015 8:00pm
Frax

Tim get an Audi R8 they have dropped to about 40k with low miles,
What a car Cool Lot of Landcruisers now sold
Audi TT 240 Sport now sold for.
RRS 2.7 HSE Now sold for.
RRS Autoibiography 2012
Defender 300tdi 90

Post #469960 Sun Aug 09 2015 8:06pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you want to invest in a Land Rover product then you need to go back in the catalogue. Decent Series 1, preferably 80 inch, are strong money and it's likely that good Series 2 will go the same way. Finding a good one will be a great way to fill some retirement time too!

It's rather sad, and funny at the same time, to see a Series 1 that has been turned in to a smashed up "pay-and-play special". What could be worth 20k+ is now worth 2k+. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #469964 Sun Aug 09 2015 8:36pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I think if you are looking at an investment car that you can still use and enjoy then you can't go wrong with BMWs M3 CSL and classic Porsches. Keep the RRS and buy something that has depreciation proof motoring for fun, If you buy the right classic Porsche you will prob make money on it as the prices have gone mad for them. Just my 2p worth Laughing Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #469977 Sun Aug 09 2015 9:32pm
Tim in Scotland

Lots of great suggestions guys, thanks but cut me in half and I have Land Rover and Range Rover running through me......... I've just spent a lot of money on my verging on classic but not pampered and used for what it was designed to do, Defender.
But I also commute up and down to London a lot when I'm in the UK and love to drive the run rather than fly, take my time and often avoid the Motorways to have a more pleasant trip so what ever I buy has to be reliable and comfortable. My days of powerful rear wheel drive cars are long gone - I ran a TVR SEAC for 2 years and that was enough power through the rear wheels to last a lifetime! I considered a run out Defender as my only car as it would achieve, I thought, the ability to reduce to one very capable on and off-road car but the I road on a motorway haul was painful whereas the RRS takes that AND the off-road in its stride ( and my RRS went off-road in April 2 weeks after delivery) but it is a bit too shiny and new to do serious off-road and getting decent off-road tyres is proving difficult. My brother collects Austin Healeys and if I wanted an unreliable drafty Classic I would certain one of them like a shot, especially an ME3000! My problem is I still want to mud plug and winch challenge but also get places in comfort and fast.
I don't mean to be unpleasant but I'm not at all turned on to BMW's or Porsche's - an R8 would be a nice car to have though and it is aWD/ Quattro. I also fancied the F Type Jaguar AWD in either coupe or roadster form, the AWD is the important bit for me though so I can keep on the road in the winter. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #469984 Sun Aug 09 2015 10:37pm
Farmer Chalk

Here's a low baller then......definately one of the last defenders as they will increase but for investment purpose a classic Mark one Range Rover... Timeless classic and appreciating quickly....or you've heard it here first...

A P38 Range Rover which are cheap as chips, but the Holland and Holland version..... They've just started on the creep with a couple of dealers selling them for 20k but if you look around you can still get them for 5-6k....

Post #469994 Mon Aug 10 2015 7:17am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

P38? Shocked Rolling with laughter

Post #469997 Mon Aug 10 2015 7:56am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Sorry to say that the SVR will only lose money. Mine was 106k, in 3 years and 30000 miles, it will be worth less than 50k and I expect will have acquired a reputation for being expensive to run and especially to fix.

We new owners are in the happy position of having fresh tyres, brakes, suspension components and a warranty but maintaining them will be expensive and an unloved SVR will be a liability. I had a small taste of this when I accidentally damaged a 22 inch wheel while upgrading, 900 before discount and they cannot sensibly be refurbished. Still, my SVR is a keeper because I doubt there will be anything substantially better as emissions regs start to bite.

Still, if that lump sum is burning a hole in your pocket and you have rainy day money to fall back on, there's no reason why you shouldn't spend it on something which brings you pleasure. You cannot, after all, take it with you. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #469998 Mon Aug 10 2015 8:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>