RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Running in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Nowaytk

England 
Running in

As per the title, has anybody "run in" their sport ?
I know they say that you don't have to nowdays but, I did ( on just above 6k at the moment ) and I'm always sympathetic when cold and at journeys end and I feel this has made a very big difference. Just got mine back from the dealers after an issue with the SOS system, they had it for a couple of weeks, and while it was in I had use of a 15 plate autobiography dynamic, and while I expected the ride to be a bit firmer having the magnetic dampers etc and 21" wheels what I didn't expect was how unrefined the SDV6 was, noticeably more than mine, so I assume being a loaner ( fastest vehicals around ) it's had a bit of a hard life ( only done 1k more than mine ).
So my question is, have I made the difference by running in and sympathetic driving when cold etc or was it just one of those cars ?
Has anyone experienced anything similar with loaners being noisy compared to theirs ? 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #468527 Sat Jul 25 2015 3:26pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

I did and always do with a new car. Tried to keep below 4k rpm up to the first 1k miles and then gradually let it built for the next few hundred miles before letting all 510 horses loose Very Happy Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #468542 Sat Jul 25 2015 7:15pm
Nowaytk

England 

Laughing when you said tried to keep below 4k, I thought wow, you must be a right loon I tried not to go over 2k. Then the penny dropped Embarassed followed by Mr. Green Thumbs Up 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone

Post #468547 Sat Jul 25 2015 8:28pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I think you are correct. Even with fully synthetic oils, treat a diesel sympathetically for the first 5k miles and it will end up being a quieter and smoother engine later in life.
One thing I have noticed in my April 2015 AB v my prior 2013 AB, is that you can hear the gearbox quietly kicking down as one approaches roundabouts. I have recently returned from several weeks in France, on a near identical route to last year in the 2013 car. France has myriads of roundabouts these days rather than junctions, which are imo great and keep traffic moving. In the 2015 model you can perceive the gearbox going down through the gears, ending up in 2nd or maybe 3rd as you arrive at the roundabout, so far less need for using the brakes. In the 2013 version this was not really apparent, so I tended to use to paddleshifts instead. However, this year quite different..just back off and the gearbox just drops the cogs very nicely, so much less need to brake.

Post #468552 Sat Jul 25 2015 8:43pm
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

With modern manufacturing tolerances there is an argument to say that you should drive it like you stole it right out of the box, or at least after the first oil change.

Post #468560 Sat Jul 25 2015 9:30pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Lots of heavy loads, with low revs

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Post #468569 Sat Jul 25 2015 11:32pm
wilf

Bobajobbob wrote:
With modern manufacturing tolerances there is an argument to say that you should drive it like you stole it right out of the box, or at least after the first oil change.

Agree.

You simply should NOT "baby" a modern engine from new - if you do, you simply won't get a good ring pack seal before the bores glaze, and that engine will then use excessive oil throughout its life.

However - mechanical sympathy is needed - whilst you SHOULD be using wide open throttle (gets the cylinder pressures up which helps top ring seal) you shouldn't be using max revs, and varying engine speeds on longer runs is important, as is lifting off and letting the engine be driven by the car's momentum (to get the cylinder walls on the non-thrust side bed in too).

In short - "running in" is not all about being gentle with the throttle. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #468600 Sun Jul 26 2015 11:28am
Nowaytk

England 

That's me Censored then Big Cry , only mentioned about running in as the loaner was noticeably louder in the engine department so rightly or wrongly assumed that noise equalled wear ? So problems later in its life ?. 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone

Post #468614 Sun Jul 26 2015 2:16pm
wemeadows

United States 2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Fuji White

When I got the 2013 RRS HSE the dealer told me to not baby it to run in and also to not redline the tach. (My long time service guy said the same.)

"Just drive in a spirited fashion so it breaks in properly," they said. 2013 RRS HSE Lux, Fuji White w/Silver Pkg, 5.0 V8
Gone, but not forgotten: 1995 RR County Classic SWB, Arctic White

Post #468928 Thu Jul 30 2015 12:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1