RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Ctek Chargers and Flat Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

B9BS X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Ctek Chargers and Flat Battery

Havnt driven the car for a few weeks and now have a flat battery, have been thinking of buying a ctek mx 5.0 but the more I look into this im tempted to spend abit more and buy a mx25 as the car is sometimes parked up for 2 weeks a time and this charger can be left plugged in to keep the battery topped up without any damage but the mx25 is more pricey so might wait til payday for that one Very Happy

Question I have is if jump start the car and take it for a very long drive will this eventually fully charge the battery or is it best to just put it on a battery charger? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,
BLACK CODE RE-MAPPED, AUTOBIOGRAPHY'D, NEW EXIDE BATTERY, NEW DENSO ALTERNATOR

Post #466920 Wed Jul 08 2015 12:42pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It takes a very long drive for the battery to actually charge fully, so a good charger is infinitely preferable.

AFAIK, all the CTEK chargers are capable of being left to do their thing. Perhaps the MXS10 would be a good option if you don't need the power of the MXS25?

Bear in mind, the MXS25 is also too powerful to use the comfort connectors/towing electrics. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #466921 Wed Jul 08 2015 12:49pm
B9BS X

Just need to get the car going as ive got a long drive ahead next week but do want it to start up again for on the way back Rolling with laughter

Then will get a charger at the end of the month and give it a good charge Thumbs Up RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,

Post #466923 Wed Jul 08 2015 12:53pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The bigger the CTEK the faster it charges so the longer the vehicle stands unused the smaller the CTEK needed - I bought the MX 5.0 and used it during winters with no problems Thumbs Up

Others have reported the CTEK is a maintenance charger and will not charge a flat battery so bear that in mind Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #466924 Wed Jul 08 2015 1:01pm
B9BS X

Bearing that in mind muddywheels might be better to buy the mx 5.0 and save abit of cash Thumbs Up To put towards another mod for my car Rolling with laughter RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #466927 Wed Jul 08 2015 1:17pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Though, extra power could save your rear bumper if you ever forget to put it on charge! Laughing Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #466929 Wed Jul 08 2015 1:40pm
garrycol

Australia 

The CTEK MX5.0 - is a smart charger and as such goes through a series of processes as required to charge the battery. While it will charge the car I think 5 amps is a bit small for a RRS battery (though it is within the CTEK 5.0 specs). After charging the battery it should go into maintenance mode which is essentially a trickle charge and just keeps the battery charged.

CTEK is just a brand name and works in a similar way to most other chargers so buy a brand that you would be happy with, not necessarily a CTEK.

I have a smart charger that goes up to 12 amps but only provides what is required to do the job - gets a lot of oomph into a battery quickly then throttles back when 75% charged - larger amps helps with de sulphurisation.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #466940 Wed Jul 08 2015 2:37pm
B9BS X

Any idea how long a ctek mx5 charger will take to fully charge a very low battery?

And any recommendations on another suitable inteligent charger? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #466949 Wed Jul 08 2015 3:24pm
PEACHY

England 

Took my CTEK MX5 approx 12 hours to run through its phases Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #466958 Wed Jul 08 2015 4:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Handbook shows the time as follows -

Quote:
BATTERY SIZE (Ah) TIME TO 80% CHARGED
2Ah 2h
8Ah 8h
20Ah 4h
60Ah 12h
110Ah 26h

Battery must be min 2v or CTEK will not commence charging Thumbs Up

http://www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%205.0_EN.pdf Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #466959 Wed Jul 08 2015 4:39pm
B9BS X

Cheers guys

Think il be ordering the mx 5 Thumbs Up RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #466960 Wed Jul 08 2015 4:56pm
garrycol

Australia 

I would go for a CTEK MS15 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #467017 Thu Jul 09 2015 6:47am
B9BS X

Does the CTEK MS15 charge quicker? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #467022 Thu Jul 09 2015 8:21am
garrycol

Australia 

The number in the model is the max amps the charger can deliver - the mx 5 can only ever deliver a max of 5 amps even though at its state of charge the battery may be able of accepting more.

The CTEK MS15 can deliver up to 15 amps (there are other models that can go much higher in amps) - so yes it will charge a battery quicker if it needs the full capacity.

Remember these are smart chargers so even though the 15 has a higher capacity, if the battery does not need it it will not deliver the extra amps - if the battery needs it - it does.

Go to the CTEK web site and look at the various models. Also as mentioned CTEK is only but one brand of smart charger and there are plenty out there - it doesn't have to be CTEK.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #467025 Thu Jul 09 2015 8:34am
B9BS X

Thanks garrycol RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #467029 Thu Jul 09 2015 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>