RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Unveven tyre wear tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mirzazuber

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black
Unveven tyre wear tdv8

Hi i have a rrs tdv8 2010 i had a little wear on the front tyres so i had tracking done on the car from main dealers couple months ago but i have noticed the two front tyres have got even worse and the wear is on the inner and outer tyre both sides but middle tread seems okay?? I have booked it back in with the dealers any ideas what it could be steering wheel seems straight.

Post #464477 Sat Jun 13 2015 8:46pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Its called owning a RRS Laughing
I've never had one that doesn't scrub tyres, I've given up caring.

Post #464480 Sat Jun 13 2015 9:08pm
Mirzazuber

Yeh i think i am heading towards that route too if nothing comes back from the dealership, the service giy seemed to think something wasn't quite right when he saw the tyres ( maybe he was after my money ) Very Happy

Post #464482 Sat Jun 13 2015 9:12pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My TDV8 wears the outer shoulders all round, more on the front than the rear. There is some inside shoulder wear too but the outer is most noticeable. The rest of the tyre wears perfectly. It's been doing this as long as I've had it and I think it is something that one has to live with. I think it's caused by the tolerance built in to the air suspension ride heights. As the system allows each wheel to be measurably higher or lower than the nominal ride height you get varying toe-in and toe-out effects over time. This causes the shoulders to wear as you would expect with feathered outer tread blocks.

It's annoying but seems to be one of those "they all do that sir" things... Sad 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #464535 Sun Jun 14 2015 6:13pm
Terryrrs

United Kingdom 

18 months into ownership I have noticed front outer shoulders have worn more on the near side. Booked in for 4 wheel alignment on Thursday just to check as on Friday have a long trip abroad. May put on two new front tyres. I am tempted to put on four 275 45 20 after alignment but not sure if this would affect the alignment
Terry

Post #464544 Sun Jun 14 2015 8:45pm
RRSTDV8

Outer shoulder on the front nearside is sometimes called "roundabout wear" from taking roundabouts in a, ahem, spirited manner... Whistle Rolling with laughter

If you're going to go for four new tyres and they're a different sidewall depth then it would make sense to get the alignment done afterwards. Indeed, it would make sense to get the alignment done after the wheels have been taken off and replaced irrespective of the tyres chosen. Run the suspension through a full height change whilst moving after the tyres are fitted. That will help settle everything after being jacked up. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #464563 Sun Jun 14 2015 10:27pm
Terryrrs

United Kingdom 

Two new front tyres, not sure about the spirited driving but I must own up to visiting Milton Keynes!! Four wheel alignment on Thursday.
Terry

Post #464622 Mon Jun 15 2015 1:15pm
Mirzazuber

What i don't get is why does it wear out on the inner and outer shoulder on both sides

Post #464666 Mon Jun 15 2015 6:33pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

It likely down to the air suspension. The RRS is a two way system which means the front two air bags are linked by a T piece and a single air line from the pressure switch. This mean when the strut(air bag) on NS wheel compresses the OS wheel takes the additional air pressure, thus inflating the OS air bag and raising the OS marginally which throws the alignment out. It's not a massive amount of movement but it will be happening on every bump. Pretty poor system tbh. Not sure if it's been updated in the L494, but a 4 way system is the way to go.
Most 4x4 have the same issues of scrubbing tyres.

Post #464752 Tue Jun 16 2015 8:42am
RRSTDV8

As ride height changes, the toe and camber change. As the system allows a tolerance to prevent working the corner valves and compressor constantly, the gradual changes in ride height mean that toe and camber settings aren't spot on for some varying period of time. This causes wear. Toe and camber "errors" wear the shoulders depending on which way the error is - toe in will wear the outer shoulder, toe out the inner shoulder ( I think that's the correct way round).

You could probably reduce the tyre wear by running the system in tight tolerance mode - but you'd wear out the compressor fairly quickly. Indeed, running in tight tolerance mode causes a suspension error on the dash, presumably to stop it from being done.

It's just the price of having the comfortable air suspension ride and ability to change ride heights for off road work. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #464753 Tue Jun 16 2015 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1