RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494: 2 sets of wheels (TPMS how to?)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

verydisco

United Kingdom 
L494: 2 sets of wheels (TPMS how to?)

Hi

In a nutshell, an acquaintance has just purchased a 2015 SE V6 diesel that comes with 19' wheels

He is interested in my 2014 L494 22s but we do not know if/how to set the TPMS to his Sport. Local dealers do not want to ear about it (since they are not selling the wheels I reckon)

Does anyone have experience in have 2 sets of wheels on one 494? I know there is a code inside the alloy/TPMS, but ideally, let's avoid taking them apart.

LR dealers say they cannot disable the TPMS.

I was told the easiest way is to get the TPMS from the 19 and have them fitted to the 22, still not the easiest of jobs.

Any help welcome – I am sure we are not the only ones with this question or owners willing to have a summer and winter sets (LR says it has to be recalibrated every time at a 200 euros fee!)

PS: I do own a IID tool (BT) so this could be an option it the tool lets me disable his TPMs altogether (though the dealer says doing say will have effect on other electronic gizmoz...)

Post #465348 Mon Jun 22 2015 10:29am
chemistry guy

Belgium 

Dear verydisco,

Please visit the thread 'Wheel Choices" by rigsby (and a picture of the TPMS sensor).
We had no problems at all. The VIN (MY) - sensor combination is very important.

We have just been to the wheel shop, so this is how it was done:
Our new wheels have there own set of TPMS sensors. Uninstalling and installing them on new wheels has a it's
risks. f.e. leaking seals or breaking the sensor.
It is extremely important sensors are the right manufacturer because the L494 TPMS system will not accept every sensor!
Safest way is ordering them on your VIN.
After installation of tyres and sensors the wheels are put into a water bath to check for leaks and afterwards installed on the car.
After detecting all the sensors individually, including the full size spare wheel, with the TPMS reset tool, the tool is connected to the OBD connector and stored in your car. This complete procedure took approx. 8 minutes.
Installing the wrong sensors results in a system fault and no read out of the pressure in the maintenance menu.
With an incorrect new installation this will occur after a short drive.

Greetings,
CG MY2015 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Corris Grey, Santorini Black Roof, Ebony/Pimento interior, 22 inch Hawke Chayton

Post #465349 Mon Jun 22 2015 10:57am
chemistry guy

Belgium 

Dear verydisco, Oeps! must have clicked to fast!

We did not pay 200 Euro's! We had the tires removed from the 4 original 22 inch wheels and new Chayton wheels installed with new TPMS sensors for 100 Euro. (sensors were approx. 300 Euro for the 4).
You can be helped perfectly in a good tire center. You do not need the dealer for this. Thumbs Up
The original wheels will be used with winter tires.

Greetings,
CG MY2015 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Corris Grey, Santorini Black Roof, Ebony/Pimento interior, 22 inch Hawke Chayton

Post #465350 Mon Jun 22 2015 10:57am
verydisco

United Kingdom 

Thanks, the 200 euros fee was quote by LR to reset/reprogram each set of wheel once the were fitted (i.e.:22s in the summer, 19's in the winter)

indeed the sensors switch at a tyre place should be around 100.

Thanks

Post #465355 Mon Jun 22 2015 12:32pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 

Also, could you please tell me more about the TPMS tool that plugs in the OBD and that you keep in your car? did you buy it separatly?

Cheers

Post #465356 Mon Jun 22 2015 12:41pm
chemistry guy

Belgium 

I do not have a TPMS tool myself.

The tire center used a universal TPMS tool that will cost around 500 Euro's I think.
Google it and you will find many choices.
Maybe in the future this will be a very good investment to buy one yourself considering the 200 euro they charge you at the dealer. Changing the wheels will take you a little longer then the 8 minutes for the OBD reading and sensor diagnose of the wheels.

Post #465387 Mon Jun 22 2015 4:56pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 

OK, THANKS

Post #465388 Mon Jun 22 2015 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1