RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Running 2nd set of wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Fletcher

England 
Running 2nd set of wheels

Hi all , I'm going to run 2 sets of alloys .
What do I need to do to get a second set of tpm's and will the car find them or does it need to be reset / reprogrammed each time I swap them over .
Thanks in advance .

Post #464953 Wed Jun 17 2015 9:17pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

You will need to buy another set of sensors and have a dealer programme them to your car. You need to tell them this is an additional set and not a replacement.

What you must never do though is carry the spare set (with the Sensors installed and programmed) in your RRS for e'g when on the way to the tyre shop!! This will cause your car to go bonkers and throw up TPMS fault messages and the only way to sort it would be to strip all 8 tyres and have them reprogrammed at a dealer again!

I faced this issue when I had 22's installed on my car before delivery and then put the spare set of 20's in the car to bring home - after a mile the messages popped up so I drove right back to the dealer - the rest of my day was spent waiting for them to figure out what went wrong with my brand new car!

So if you do do it make sure you either change the wheels over yourself or use another means of transport to get to the tyre shop Smile HTH

Post #464963 Wed Jun 17 2015 10:36pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

with my last two Evoques, both with TPMS, one with the old system and one with the latest system, i didn't need to get them calibrated, just put the wheels on and drive off. I also had 3 sets of wheels with sensors - OEM wheels in each case only with difference rolling radiuses, 20" road wheels with Continentals or Michelins, a set of 19" wheels with Piella Scorpion Ice and Snow tyres and a set of 19" wheels with Goodyear MTR's. It appears that the 2014MY Evoque TPMS is the same as my 2015MY RRS TPMS system. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #464974 Thu Jun 18 2015 1:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chemistry guy

Belgium 

Dear Fletcher,

Please visit the thread 'Wheel Choices" by rigsby (and a picture of the TPMS sensor).
We had no problems at all. The VIN (MY) - sensor combination is very important.

We have just been to the wheel shop, so this is how it was done:
Our new wheels have there own set of TPMS sensors. Uninstalling and installing them on new wheels has a it's
risks. f.e. leaking seals or breaking the sensor.
It is extremely important sensors are the right manufacturer because the L494 TPMS system will not accept every sensor!
Safest way is ordering them on your VIN.
After installation of tyres and sensors the wheels are put into a water bath to check for leaks and afterwards installed on the car.
After detecting all the sensors individually, including the full size spare wheel, with the TPMS reset tool, the tool is connected to the OBD connector and stored in your car. This complete procedure took approx. 8 minutes.
Installing the wrong sensors results in a system fault and no read out of the pressure in the maintenance menu.
With an incorrect new installation this will occur after a short drive.

Greetings,
CG
 MY2015 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Corris Grey, Santorini Black Roof, Ebony/Pimento interior, 22 inch Hawke Chayton

Post #464976 Thu Jun 18 2015 5:19am
Dave777

United Kingdom 

The MY16 cars have a new system so not sure how this will affect changing wheels?

The Integrated system previously relied on initiators to identify wheel locations, but the new LocSync uses ABS data.

From a customer point of view, the benefits of this new system are:
Recommended Cold Tyre Pressures are displayed under the service menu.
User can select units of Pressure: Kpa, Bar, PSI
The actual Pressure of each tyres is displayed under the service menu
The user can select Load / Comfort pressures

Dealer / Technician Experience:
No Initiators in the wheel arches. Reduced harness connectivity
One Central Module combines RF receiver, and Data Processing unit
Reduced complexity leading to faster diagnosis of problems.
Single 433 MHz frequency world-wide.

A calibrated air pressure gauge must be used to check the tyre's pressure, or use the vehicle’s tyre pressure display on the cluster to confirm the pressure in the tyres. The sensors in the TPMS system are calibrated and customers should use the instrument cluster display to determine actual tyre pressure in preference to a potentially un-calibrated forecourt airline. If the wheel air pressure is out of tolerance, the amber warning TPMS warning light will illuminate. MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #465033 Thu Jun 18 2015 7:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1