Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

duvl

United Kingdom 

duvl wrote:
duvl wrote:
Very strange....the same day the car had its 1st service (yesterday -11.5 months old) is the same day my front screen developed a 10'curved crack bottom middle. Car returned by dealer without the crack but after a few miles and whilst stationary I heard it go. Stationary at traffic lights, no stone etc, just a very neat curved crack appeared.Later today I'm taking the car in to see if I'm covered via warranty before I look to my Direct Line window insurance policy. Anybody experienced a dealers take on a front screen replacement for a less than year old car when it appears to be a manufacturing issue?

Dealer said it would be near impossible for them to pursue under warranty as it couldn't be proved either way as resulting from a manufacturing defect or a stone...pointed me to my insurance....Autoglass. I insisted OEM Pilkington etc but they couldn't confirm if that would be the case....then gave me lots of waffle etc etc. Informed them that on the day if Pilkington is not etched on the windscreen then I would decline the job. Booked for Dec 28th ......should be interesting!

Update....9am the morning of the 28th Dec, 2 Autoglass vans show up. Takes one look at my car and says to me "you do realise we don't have an OEM screen". So, despite verbal and multiple emails to Autoglass saying I would decline the job if a third party screen was offered ......they clearly ignored them. Fitter, however was very understanding. Said this happens all the time with new RRS and Porsche's in particular. RRS have a bad rep for poor windscreens in his industry. He made a call and ordered an OEM screen and said Directline and A'glass would "talk" re who covers the cost difference and that it may be passed on to me. What the cost difference is I've no idea but the screen would be Pilkington and have the Range Rover stamp. Subsequently I spoke to DL and pointed out the above occurrence.....not a happy customer etc etc and as a longstanding customer they'd be wise to sort this mess or I was out of here. 30 min later DL rang back and agreed to cover an OEM screen which is to be fitted next week. Watch this space.
Edited to reflect the posting below....thanks. RRS 4.4AB 15.5MY Fuji/Ivory
Thinkware F750 front/rear dashcam

Last edited by duvl on Thu Dec 29 2016 9:17pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #513111 Thu Dec 29 2016 2:44pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

OEM screen should have the logo "Range Rover" in bottom LH corner not Land Rover. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #513143 Thu Dec 29 2016 7:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Standard Autoglass behaviour, sadly. They will do everything they can to avoid fitting OEM - it's the basis of their business model, it seems. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #513158 Thu Dec 29 2016 8:53pm
duvl

United Kingdom 

Pleased to report that all is good once more. OE glass in situ along with Range Rover stamp. Took them about an hour and a quarter on Mon 9th Jan. Lets see how long this one last? Two different chaps from the first visit but all spoke the same language in terms of how "pants" RRS screens are. RRS 4.4AB 15.5MY Fuji/Ivory
Thinkware F750 front/rear dashcam

Post #514454 Sat Jan 14 2017 6:30pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Wonder if anyone with Head up display had a windscreen replacement as they have additional reflective/polarising layer.

Post #514462 Sat Jan 14 2017 7:52pm
Farmer Chalk

Gents,
Bit of an interesting update on this thread.... just had my 5th windscreen fitted into my L494 in 50,000 miles. My previous 4 were genuine OEM screens obtained through the dealer network after huge arguments with my insurer and Autoglass.
Had written proof from JLR, my main dealer and my leasing company that in order to protect the warranty of this 2 year old car that they expected that the screen should be replaced with a genuine screen again.
My insurer played hardball and gave me all the usual arguments... I was adamant I wanted the car repaired correctly considering it's value and that the car was fitted with some many autonomous devices.

After several weeks of complaints and haggling my insurer refused to be budged and said if I wanted an OEM screen then I was quite able to buy one myself but they most definitely were not paying for it....

They eventually stated that I could have a Pilkington screen as that was the one that Autoglass provided... as previously stated I was given the usual it's the same screen as provided to JLR but with the Pilkington logo on instead of the words Range Rover. Thought I was being spun the usual story by Autoglass.

Eventually as my insurance policy actually runs out next week I was forced to relent and have Autoglass come out and fit the screen of their choice.

I closely inspected my old screen and took a photo of its markings...as below

Before the new Autoglass replacement screen was fitted I checked it was a Pilkington screen... as the screen was laying on the trestle I took this photo.

Just to reassure other persons in my position have a closer look at the black Pilkington logo above the words Pilkington... you can see that something has been ground out on the glass and then the black Pilkington strip has been placed over the grindings. If you look closely the marking that has been ground out is the word Range Rover! You can still see the tails of the letters!

Moral of the story? Don't panic about not getting an OEM screen from Autoglass... it is probably the same screen with the OEM markings ground out and rebadged as non OEM! This would allow Pilkington to sell the same screen without infringing trade marks!

Post #522495 Fri Mar 31 2017 11:40pm
V8tdi

Wales 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

udash wrote:
Wonder if anyone with Head up display had a windscreen replacement as they have additional reflective/polarising layer.

I wonder if anyone had experience of a new screen with the HUD. It has the anti reflective coating on it.
I'm due to have a new screen from auto glass next week original appointment had to be cancelled when they realised it was a special order screen because of ACC and HUD
Took two weeks to get it and I was told it's Oem.
Autoglass say they can't calibrate the ACC or HUD after fitment but the dealer says it won't need to be done.
Let u know how I get on
Car was only two weeks old Sad

Post #524938 Sun Apr 30 2017 8:24pm
Autobiography

ACC uses radar and has nothing to do with the windscreen. If 17MY, AEB uses a camera if ACC is not fitted which is relevant to the windscreen quality.

Post #524940 Sun Apr 30 2017 8:30pm
syl

United Kingdom 

It's not ACC and the HUD that need recalibrating is it, it's things like AEB (not IEB) with cameras on the inside of the glass. Autoglass have facilities for doing it. The manual on the 2017 model says it needs recalibrating at the dealer after a windscreen change.

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repair-a...libration/

Post #524941 Sun Apr 30 2017 8:39pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC the cam for the ACC and emergency assist braking is behind the grille. not on the windscreen. What is on the screen is the road sign recognition/ headlights on/ wipers auto on. I thought the HUD was projected from a unit that sits on the dash just infront of the instrument binnacle and needs the UV repelling windscreen to work. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #524947 Sun Apr 30 2017 10:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
V8tdi

Yes the HUD unit is built into the instrument binnacle and it does need the anti reflective screen to work it's automatically selected when u configure the option

This was really my question if anyone had one of these AR screens replaced as it has been two weeks on order from autoglass because of this

They say it was ordered from LR but let's see on Thursday when they fit it

On recalibrating the dealer says it won't need to be done it's just autoglass covering their backs just in case they screw something up

Anyway the cars going into the dealer on Saturday to get all the software bugs fixed that keep popping up so they can check it when it's in

Thanks for all the input it's my firs time on the forum it looks great place

Post #524962 Mon May 01 2017 9:11am
syl

United Kingdom 

The manual says that AEB (camera based) not IEB (radar based on the grill) needs to be recalibrated. The lane departure and possibly auto-dip headlights might be affected too.

AEB calibration is required if the vehicle’s windscreen is replaced, or the camera located above the rear-view mirror is moved or replaced. In these events, contact a retailer/authorised repairer.

There was an article last year, where over 50% of dealers gave the wrong advice about it (a third were unaware of it at all). Do you trust your dealer?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/6...indscreens

Post #524968 Mon May 01 2017 10:57am
V8tdi

Just an update

I had the screen fitted by Autoglass on Thursday

They supplied the OEM screen possibly as it was the anti reflective one for the HUD but codes are the same and it's branded Range Rover

Car was in dealer today and it did have to get the camera recalibrated, the HUD worked perfectly straight away

I used all the functions ACC lane assist etc all seemed to be working but the dealer still said the camera needed doing

Post #525471 Sat May 06 2017 4:14pm
V8tdi

Here's the pics of the two screens

Original screen

Replacement

Post #525474 Sat May 06 2017 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123