RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Rain sensing/auto wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
Rain sensing/auto wipers

If you have these, adjusting the knob on the stalk (which would normally adjust the time delay) should adjust the sensitivity of the automatic wipers. Mine doesn't seem to make a scrap of difference. I've now driven in all sort of rain and played with this and the wipers are just far too sensitive. They come on too early and then continue for too long. Then the time delay is far too short. They also go into the highest speed too eagerly. I can live with that, but the wipers wiping a screen that has no water on it really annoys me.
Anyone else finding this? Does your adjuster work?

I find I'm having to turn the wipers off and on manually to get a swipe during slight rain, otherwise on auto they would be wiping away as if I'm in a storm! I'm wishing I had the old fashioned delay adjuster. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #2501 Tue Sep 20 2005 3:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Obviously I don't have the car yet or the manuals but I had rain sensor in the BMW, and the way they worked was that if the wiper stalk was in the intermittent position when you insert the ignition key the wipers will be set to auto, whereas if you return the wiper stalk to position 0 before starting up and then subsequently put the wipers onto intermittent, the auto feature was disabled.

Try and see if it's the same, I bet the parts bin is the same.... L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2503 Tue Sep 20 2005 4:01pm
d3matt

On the Sport, when you put the wipers into intermittant, then they are in auto mode. You do therefore not have an intermittant feature if you have auto wipers. Matt
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #2505 Tue Sep 20 2005 4:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon

United Kingdom 

The adjuster on the stalk is for the rear wiper intermittent interval, not for the sensitivity adjustment of the rainsensing front wipers......according to the manual.

Post #2546 Wed Sep 21 2005 1:37pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

This morning I used my wipers for the 1st time ( i only picked the car up on friday ) as I needed to clear the front screen so pulled the stalk for a quick single wipe..... only to find it did this plus the rear wiper also gave a single wipe? I only wanted to wipe the front screen & not the back as that was clear(ish) and didnt want to wipe dirt over the rear screen Mad

Looks like I had better get the manual out and check i'm doing things correctly? But surely they should operate individually when you pull the lever for a single wipe. Please advise.

Thanks

MDP 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2552 Wed Sep 21 2005 2:21pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

flick the switch downhill and you get a single wipe of the front wipers. i agree the auto wipers are a bit useless but will just have to put up with it..

Post #2572 Wed Sep 21 2005 8:36pm
d3matt

Simon wrote:
The adjuster on the stalk is for the rear wiper intermittent interval, not for the sensitivity adjustment of the rainsensing front wipers......according to the manual.

Simon, not according to the manual I'm reading. See http://www.ox11.net/downloads/rrs-wipers.pdf for the wipers section of the user manual. Matt

Post #2573 Wed Sep 21 2005 9:17pm
d3matt

MDP wrote:
Looks like I had better get the manual out and check i'm doing things correctly? But surely they should operate individually when you pull the lever for a single wipe. Please advise.

The wiper stalk isn't designed very well. On most cars, if you pull it forward it cleans the front screen - but on the Sport it cleans the back - very annoying - I always get it wrong.
See http://www.ox11.net/downloads/rrs-wipers.pdf for full details. Matt

Post #2574 Wed Sep 21 2005 9:20pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Cheers guys, its just getting used to the different actions" the stalk " utillises............old habits die hard Rolling Eyes 

Post #2587 Thu Sep 22 2005 9:16am
Simon

United Kingdom 

mpwox11 wrote:
Simon wrote:

Simon, not according to the manual I'm reading. See http://www.ox11.net/downloads/rrs-wipers.pdf for the wipers section of the user manual.

Can't argue with that......but I think my explanation is what actually happens. Otherwise the inference from the manual is that the rotary bit has two functions, which seems unlikely.

Post #2600 Thu Sep 22 2005 11:27am
caporajm

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

So to add on to this.. what about the headlight washers.. how do you turn them on? RRS S/C Special Edition, Vesuvius

Post #2698 Tue Sep 27 2005 6:58am
Biggles

England 

The headlamp washer only becomes active when the headlights are switched on and work every fifth wash of the windscreen/windshield. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #2699 Tue Sep 27 2005 8:12am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Andrew wrote:
flick the switch downhill and you get a single wipe of the front wipers. i agree the auto wipers are a bit useless but will just have to put up with it..

This is what I did today... a tap down on the stalk ( as per instructions in manual ) to just wipe front screen, but it also activated the rear wiper as well. Is this because the rain sensor dictates everything ( if so very annoying )

May have to visit dealer to clarify.

Yours totally confused by the damn things Confused

MDP 

Post #2701 Tue Sep 27 2005 9:20am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

aaahhh...Life's rich tapestry !

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2706 Tue Sep 27 2005 4:40pm
d3matt

Simon, you're right. I drove it in the rain tonight and after playing with the adjuster, I accidenlty found that it was in fact adjusting the delay of the rear wipe - from 4 seconds to 13 seconds. Yet, my manual says it adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensor on the front. Well, I'm happy now that I know it is actually doing something! Matt

Post #3260 Wed Oct 12 2005 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>