RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > possibly new owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jd69

United Kingdom 
possibly new owner

Good afternoon everyone, am looking at buying a sport around 2008 to 2009. 3.2lt turbo diesel. Have heard different reports (not good) from non sport owners. And was wondering what sport owners thought of theirs vehicles good or bad

Post #461317 Wed May 06 2015 5:57pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forum.
There was no 3.2 TD engine - 2.7V6, 3.0V6 and 3.6V8. There is also now a 4.4V8 TD too. I've owned a 2.7 and a 3.6V8 in the Mk1 guise and now have a 2015 3.0V6. Up to March this year the TDv8 was the best all round car I have ever owned (better even than the Range Rover Vogue TDv8 that I had as the RRS version had brakes that worked and great handling).
RRS is a good car but can be very very expensive to repair when they go wrong (and they do, frequently!). With the 2.7ltr the car was in no way a "sports" SUV but with the latest SDv6 engines and the 4.4V8 they have loads of power and torque in unmodified form. If you can extend to it though the 5.0Ltr Supercharged Petrol V8 is the one to go for - there is also a 4.2V8 gas engine and there was a very early version with a 4.4V8 gasoline engine which was never popular in the UK. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #461319 Wed May 06 2015 6:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jd69

United Kingdom 

Many thanks i did mean the 3.6.what are the common things that go wrong with the rrs?

Post #461322 Wed May 06 2015 6:23pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: possibly new owner

jd69 wrote:
Have heard different reports (not good) from non sport owners.

In my experience, people who don't own RRS think that they're "footballers' cars". It's true that many owners do treat them that way by blinging them with big wheels and bits of chrome trim but don't let that put you off. The underlying vehicle is well engineered. Some of the bought-in components have proven to be less than successful though. Notably, things like the suspension compressor, starter motor, alternator and turbos are problem areas. The suspension bushes are considered to be consumable items too.

I remember someone telling me that the Sport was "rubbish in snow, you'll have to leave it at home if it snows". Seriously. That's the level of understanding of the uneducated masses. Many also think they're useless off road - again, they're wrong. Sure, stick 22 inch rims with rubber band summer tyres on a Sport and it'll struggle, but it'll still get further than most. With appropriate tyres and careful driving it'll follow a Defender cross country right up until it runs out of ground clearance. It'll even go places a stock Defender won't. Been there, done that.

One thing that people are correct about, however, is the cost of ownership. The Sport, like most Land Rovers through the years, likes to be treated to lots of TLC. That TLC isn't cheap - even if you use one of the excellent indies around the country (such as some of our sponsors hereabouts). Land Rover have adopted a policy of charging silly money for badged/boxed parts. Many can be bought as OEM items at 50% of the price if you look around.

How do I feel about my TDV8? It's been the most troublesome vehicle I've ever owned (including the dreaded double turbo failure) but it's also the best. Nothing else comes close to being able to commute at speed in comfort and then go properly cross country if you wish. Nothing except the Disco and the FFRR, that is. The RRS is the better handling machine on road out of the three, however. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #461326 Wed May 06 2015 6:28pm
Misformonkey

United Kingdom 

I'm looking at 12 plate RRS and the only thing putting me off is reliability, I've wanted one for years and I now have that opportunity but I need to go in with my eyes wide open as such. So are they that bad in terms of reliability and do they cost the earth to repair. Any replies gratefully received.

Post #461779 Mon May 11 2015 8:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

They're less reliable than a common-or-garden Mazda hatchback, that's for sure. All 4x4/SUVs score fairly poorly in the various reliability indices such as JD Power etc. The RRS has its fair share of issues but there people on here that have had one for several years and had few, if any, problems. I've had mine for coming up to 4 years and it's tried my patience on a number of occasions.

Are they expensive to repair? Yes. They're expensive to repair if you're used to Fords etc. where parts cost peanuts. They can be maintained for reasonable cost if you're careful and particular about where you spend your money. Go to a main dealer and it's always going to be pricey. Use a decent indie and the price can be much less eye watering. However, don't scrimp - if you can't afford to throw a grand at it at the drop of a hat then you should probably look elsewhere. A warranty helps massively but at the older end of the RRS market the warranties become much more limited. On a 12-plate you'll be able to get one with Land Rover Approved/Extended warranty if you buy from a LR dealership. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #461783 Mon May 11 2015 9:32pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Misformonkey i asked a very similar question to yours two years ago and got very positive replies regarding 2012 model year RRS , so i bought one . Getting on for two years later not one issue and i am not touching wood because i dont think i need to . I would add i am not the only one to say this Thumbs Up

Post #461784 Mon May 11 2015 9:33pm
Misformonkey

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies. It's from a LR dealer do does come with a 2 year warranty so peace of mind, ideally I plan on keeping it longer than that though. Need to have a think about it. Again thanks.

Post #461809 Tue May 12 2015 9:14pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My 2012 RRS has been totally reliable and a great joy to own Thumbs Up

It's also up for sale in the the 'For Sale' section Whistle 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #461812 Tue May 12 2015 9:42pm
RogerDeFlor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I had exactly the same dilemma when I was thinking about buying one, and I looked at loads of supposed alternatives, but nothing else comes with both the off-road ability (that I wanted) and the style and comfort (that Mrs DeFlor wanted Embarassed ).
In the end I held out for one that had been looked after, and didn't spend my entire budget on it, (keeping some cash back for repairs).

As a professional engineer, I've been checking things that could go wrong, and performing preventative maintenance, like adjusting the EPB (handbrake) and sorting out the compressor, before they fail. It is more complex than a regular car, so get in the habit of spotting minor glitches, before they become that sort of fault that leaves you stranded.

The thing that re-assured my when buying mine, is the mahoosive number of enthusiasts, web forums, independent garages, knowledgeable owners and spares suppliers out there to support you. None of the other "competitors" has that sort of support (except maybe Jeep in the US).

Post #461867 Wed May 13 2015 9:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1