RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Reoccuring engine system fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Sender

Jersey 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Rimini Red
Reoccuring engine system fault

So nearly a year ago my 05 RR had the first EGR fault, we had the left hand EGR valve replaced, in December, the right hand one followed, now four months on we had had the same "engine system fault" light show up and the vehicle plunge into limp home mode, the garage has had the car since Saturday and as of yet all I'm being promised is for them to return my call, which never seems to happen, by the sounds of it they haven't even looked at my car yet.

When I booked the car in on the phone with the workshop manager, he seemed to think it was the EGR system yet again.

Anyone else having reoccurring engine system faults or EGR issues?

This car has had the turbo replaced in 2012, both EGR valves replaced in 2014, is serviced by the LR dealer yearly. Member of the Jersey Land Rover Owner Club

Post #459151 Tue Apr 14 2015 1:55pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Unlikely to be EGRs if they were both replaced last year but by far the best thing to do would be (and would have been) to simply blank them off. For an earlier vehicle like yours it is cheap, simple and will prevent your engine from being forced to eat filth. I cannot recommend it enough. Smile

To help further with any diagnosis we need more info on symptoms/fault codes etc. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #459153 Tue Apr 14 2015 2:14pm
Sender

unluckily I don't get to drive the RR as much as I would like and have been driving a 330 coupe, primarily, so when I drove the car on the Friday and thought it was feeling sluggish this could of been the fact it was sluggish or the fact I've been used to driving another faster car. my OH drives it most and he admits that as long as it starts and gets him from A to B he doesn't pay attention to how it drives Big Cry

the only symptoms I have is that if went into Limp home after displaying the "Engine System Fault" warning, we had no other warning lights on the display, the engine sounded perfectly fine, was not running rough, or vibrating more then normal, the only other things which may help is that after an hour of standing waiting for the tow company, the fault had cleared and there seemed nothing wrong, by this point we had already booked it in with the road side assist company and had pre-booked it in with the garage.

Also because we have an extended warranty on the car we are unsure if the garage will agree to blanking off the valves without it affect the warranty Member of the Jersey Land Rover Owner Club

Post #459154 Tue Apr 14 2015 2:27pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

If the warranty is an aftermarket one, I think they're normally fine about blanking them as long as you tell them. If LR, then, yes, you may be stuck (but I doubt it is the EGRs anyway this time).

My guess would be that it's the turbo actuator sticking. Assuming it is indeed there, living on Jersey with the low speed limits there etc. and, I imagine, low mileage (?), is not going to help such problems. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #459155 Tue Apr 14 2015 2:45pm
Sender

its a warranty through the LR dealership but through car plan.

not sure where they stand with that cause we can't even get it serviced anywhere else without voiding the warranty.

well finally got my call back, and they still haven't even looked at it.

its done 72000 miles, so low mileage for its age versus UK cars but is used daily for our primary car. Member of the Jersey Land Rover Owner Club

Post #459159 Tue Apr 14 2015 3:18pm
Sender

Hi
Got the diagnosis back from the garage.

actually nothing to do with the EGR system at all.

it turns out if the height sensors loose communication with the ECU the car will go into engine system fault.
Rolling Eyes Member of the Jersey Land Rover Owner Club

Post #459274 Wed Apr 15 2015 4:46pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The height sensors could cause many things (including limp home mode) but I've not heard of, and can find no reference to, one causing an ESF. Whistle

Happy to be corrected, of course. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #459277 Wed Apr 15 2015 5:14pm
Sender

The ride height sensors had lost communications with the management system so it was probably the management system that through out the ESF.

I'm just happy to have it back, didn't enjoy driving a Peugeot Member of the Jersey Land Rover Owner Club

Post #459515 Fri Apr 17 2015 3:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1