RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Range Rover Sport SVR vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo track battle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DBA

Macedonia 
Range Rover Sport SVR vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo track battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAaIXyAnI3E

Post #459248 Wed Apr 15 2015 11:07am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

And http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/ra...o-audi-rs6 

Post #459250 Wed Apr 15 2015 11:17am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I really don't understand Steve Sutcliffe's reveiws - on the video the Cayenne wins hands down yet in the written item it comes 3rd to the RRS and RS6............. there's something not quite right there. I appreciate that the video was on a track and was an out and out burn up match but I'm sure that there must be something else about the Cayenne like ride comfort that is not mentioned that knocks it back so much. It was the same in the Auto-Express test of the Evoque SD4 against the Macan Turbo S, the Evoque lost out becuas it was slower................. well what did they expect pitting a perfoemance petrol 3.6 V6 against a 4 pot oilburner that was also only 2.2lts. What Car are the same with some of the cars they choose to pit against each other.
I would love an SVr, but you can keep the Cayenne I'm afraid, no matter how competent it is it just looks awful. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #459261 Wed Apr 15 2015 2:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DBA

Macedonia 

As I understood, when taking both the video and the text review, the Cayenne is a better handling car, but the SVR looks better and has overall better image, which as said is most important in this category (high performance SUVs), so that's why it wins in the text review.

Don't think the ride comfort is worse in the Cayenne, as it got much praise for comfort as well as performance, in another video done by Steve (although it was a Cayenne S Diesel).

I am afraid that it might be similar to the Evoque vs. Macan.
The Evoque wins in the looks and image category. And altogh I love my Evoque, I have compared it to the Macan (S Diesel), and it has a better ride, less noisy engine and much better interior quality, but being a V6, it has much bigger tax here and is much more expensive than the Evoque.

Post #459262 Wed Apr 15 2015 3:04pm
Fletcher

England 

We had the porsche on demo , as an SUV I didn't like it , it just didn't feel like it was worth the money , if you want a car for out and out racing or for the track you would go for a gt3.
As much as I enjoyed watching the film it was a bit of a pointless test , I can't see that anyone that would be looking at both cars would make their mind up on a 2 second lap time difference .

Post #459407 Thu Apr 16 2015 7:07pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I do agree, it's completely academic. What I can say is the SVR wants for nothing in everyday driving and, in particular, its ability to overtake a line of cars safely and without drama is amazing.

Steve Sutcliffe has long had a bias towards Porsche, even if he cannot yet pronounce the name correctly or is too Essex-boy to care. I have a turbo and a GT3 and would have bought a Cayenne if I thought it was better than the SVR. It isn't, the SVR proves time and again it's the better car, even if it was a bit of a challenge threading it through the streets of Painswick in Gloucestershire this morming. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #459416 Thu Apr 16 2015 8:44pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

So in the speed stakes the Cayenne murdered the SVR - surprising! I'd still have the SVR over the Cayenene anyday. I had a diesel it was a great car but very fussy inside with all those buttons and I think my RRS is a way better car.

Post #459529 Fri Apr 17 2015 4:44pm
oldcro

Scotland 

I always wanted a Range Rover so bought a RRS which was fine but was not a proper Range Rover. So I then bought a Range Rover Westminster which was fine except it had so many options I never used and the dealership was terrible ( how do you know a dealer is Lying? his lips are moving springs to mind).

Anyway while a the dealership for the last time I wandered into a Porsche dealership and to cut a lomg sad tale short I ended up buying a Cayenne S Diesel. I found the Porsche suited me to the extent I have another Cayenne on order (due next month and the first time I have ever bought the same vehicle again) .

So there is no such thing as a better vehicle here, just different people have different needs and desires so whatever suits you is the one you will enjoy owning. To me the Cayenne ticks more boxes than any Range Rover and I love driving it.

Post #459539 Fri Apr 17 2015 5:28pm
Chrisr1806

England 

So I assume you can forgive it's awful looks then? Laughing Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #459547 Fri Apr 17 2015 6:49pm
philmw

This month's Top Gear mag says things like "The Sport SVR makes a noise like a skyful of marauding Spitfires" and "The SVR throws itselfs down the road with almost apocalyptic abandon" Very Happy

Also has a great word for the engineers at SVO. Thumbs Up 

Post #459573 Fri Apr 17 2015 8:47pm
Baco

Belgium 

Oh, it's that guy again... He probably starts drooling instantly when you mention Porsche, lol. I knew the outcome as soon as I saw it was him... No fan of the Cayenne here, neither inside (way too many buttons) nor outside. It doesn't have the posture/presence of the RRS either. Ah well, personal preference, I guess

Post #459694 Sat Apr 18 2015 8:48pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:
So in the speed stakes the Cayenne murdered the SVR

Not sure that 2.5 seconds faster round a track when being driven by someone who has a track record of bias towards Porsche counts as being "murdered". I do accept that the Cayenne appears to corner more tidily but it's not so relevant to everyday driving.

What did surprise me was being left behind by an Audi TT RS yesterday, boy was it going. I took off from a roundabout, him behind me. I was full bore in the SVR in sport mode and this thing just swept past, yet on paper, they are comparable to 60, not sure what was going on.

Edit, I expect the extra tonne or so the SVR is lugging around is not fully compensated for by the extra 200 bhp... Mark

Post #459721 Sun Apr 19 2015 10:06am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
What did surprise me was being left behind by an Audi TT RS yesterday, boy was it going. I took off from a roundabout, him behind me. I was full bore in the SVR in sport mode and this thing just swept past, yet on paper, they are comparable to 60, not sure what was going on.

A good example of headline figures not giving the full picture, I guess. The TT produces peak torque at 1500rpm and keeps it all the way to about 5500rpm. So it's producing good low end power as well as the nice headline figure and it's got a linear power delivery. I believe the Jag-sourced engine in yours takes longer to get going so he's getting a head start on you, in effect. As you say, the weight issue will also be a factor. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #459729 Sun Apr 19 2015 10:53am
philmw

And Mark you're still running yours in. Whistle 

Post #459732 Sun Apr 19 2015 11:00am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Nearly 3000 miles now... Mark

Post #459734 Sun Apr 19 2015 11:02am
Post Reply  Back to top