RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Range Rover Sport SVR vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo track battle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

DaveW

United Kingdom 

What you haven't thought on though is that the TT driver is currently in A&E with temporary V8 deafness in a state of wonder of actually how fast an SVR really is anyway... Very Happy

Post #459738 Sun Apr 19 2015 11:24am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Well, yes, the sound of the SVR in full flight is a wondrous thing. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #459753 Sun Apr 19 2015 2:22pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

Might have been a TT RS+

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/a...14-review/

Nearly £51k for a TT! But can out drag a 911.

Over a long long straight your power would have probably got him. His power to weight is good also. 1475Kg and 355bhp according to EVO.

http://www.evo.co.uk/audi/tt-rs

I'd have your SVR any day even if it was slow, just for the noise and look.

Post #459792 Sun Apr 19 2015 6:35pm
Cobnapint

United Kingdom 

I think some of you on here are dancing around the truth on that comparison with the Porsche.

The facts were plain to see (and I'm not trolling here) but the no holds barred SVR (quickest SUV round the ring my ars*) was absolutely mullered here by the Cayenne Turbo. You'd have to be blind not to see the dreadful understeer exibited by the SVR, and how uncontrollable it became in the twisties. It's supposed to be THE sporty version of a supposedly already sporty RR - and it couldn't hack it.

The Cayenne, on the other hand, just gripped, stayed flat, and WENT. And this wasn't even the Turbo S !

As for Steve Sutcliffe - I've always viewed him as a PRO Range Rover type of reviewer. In one Autocar comparison the Cayenne beat the RRS in 3 out of 4 subjective tests, yet he declared the fight an honourable draw.

Post #461033 Sun May 03 2015 12:03am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I agree in the 'looks' category the RRS wins but I suspect if you did the same test day after day in the Porsche it would keep on going. However I've a sneaky feeling that a few bits on the RRS might just start to complain.

These one-time circuit tests for 4x4s are completely worthless and simply a jolly for the journalists you might as well take them to Santa Pod and have a squirt up the straightaway.

Post #461046 Sun May 03 2015 10:20am
Renaco

Germany 

I love those discussions.
Very simple, the Porsches are faster and more responsive. Thats the soul of the brand.
The RRs are more comfy and distressing.

But we are buying an package of lifestyle, build on a brands history, brands standing in the market we live and in the peoples mind around us, so it dosent matter whats the faster road-racer.

Your feel, the design and your wanted lifestyle appeal makes finally the decision, not the cars response itself.

Post #461047 Sun May 03 2015 10:50am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

i would agree but still it would be nice to see them go head to head in the woods Whistle

Post #461048 Sun May 03 2015 11:03am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The Porsche is better on track, the RRS better off road. Blah, blah. It's funny as the vast majority will never go off road or on track. What matters is how the thing works for you with your driving requirements - although most people are vacuous enough to think that "badge" and "image" are the most important thing, which is bizarre but that's people for you. Rolling Eyes 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #461051 Sun May 03 2015 11:16am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Another thing for sure, in dynamic and sport mode, the SVR's sound makes me laugh each and everything time you accelerate or lift off, even when doing 30 mph. Very Happy 

Last edited by philmw on Sun May 03 2015 1:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #461054 Sun May 03 2015 11:32am
Dave777

United Kingdom 

I would rather have an Aerial Atom for the track. But to get to the track it would be a RRS any day. The noise of the SVR is the icing on the cake (very thick and loud icing too Very Happy )

Post #461062 Sun May 03 2015 1:20pm
Cobnapint

United Kingdom 

drdelrrs wrote:
I agree in the 'looks' category the RRS wins but I suspect if you did the same test day after day in the Porsche it would keep on going. However I've a sneaky feeling that a few bits on the RRS might just start to complain.

And that's the BIG problem in my eyes. I'd love a great big RRS SDV6 to waft around in, but the endless horror stories on here with regard to reliability, even with cars straight out of the dealers showroom, put me right off.

On the other hand, my V6 Diesel Cayenne hasn't put a foot wrong in over 3 years of ownership from new. Nothing, nada, zilch.
I couldn't bear niggly little annoyances which would mean me getting to know my local RR service dept by their first names.

And another thing, RR haven't developed an EU6 V6d yet have they...? I know the ingenium 4's are on the menu, what about the RRS engines...?

Post #461093 Mon May 04 2015 12:00am
Baco

Belgium 

Interesting discussion Very Happy

I'm looking into buying a new RRS early next year to follow up my Evoque and although the Porsche Cayenne didn't really do it for me I did go to the Porsche dealership a week or 2 ago and I must say that I'm now heavily doubting between the RRS SDV6 AB Dynamic and a Porsche Cayenne Diesel (sadly the Cayenne S Diesel wil be gone, so that's no option any more).

In general, imho, the Cayenne has a more sporty look and feel (hence the cockpit style cabin), but when you look at the figures, the RRS is not a slouch either, on the contrary, it's even more impressive than the Cayenne Diesel. Truth be said, I'm not really looking for off-road performance, so the part where the RRS truely excels is not really a dealbreaker for me. I'm not taking this car to the track either, but handling and comfort is of course important.

On the other hand, the RRS has a presence the Cayenne doesn't have, the interior is a lot more relaxed, more of a luxury lounge than a sports bar in the Cayenne Wink

If the Cayenne Diesel would out-perform the RRS SDV6 I would really consider going for the Cayenne, but since it doesn't, the RRS is still my favourite at this point. I'm only looking at the Diesel cars here since these are the most interesting for me.

And regarding EU6 regulations, LR is adding AdBlue to reduce emissions, they did tweak the SDV6's a bit though (less consumption, added power, now 306HP instead of 292 I believe)

Post #461097 Mon May 04 2015 6:44am
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

Cobnapint wrote:

On the other hand, my V6 Diesel Cayenne hasn't put a foot wrong in over 3 years of ownership from new. Nothing, nada, zilch.

The Porsche that's essentially a VW underneath?

VW are known for their great reliability though, probably why Porsche have to use their engines.

Post #461100 Mon May 04 2015 7:50am
alexv

United Kingdom 

(sadly the Cayenne S Diesel wil be gone, so that's no option [/quote]

what do you mean are porsche dropping the v8 diesel? On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Current car MY15 Hse Dynamic
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #461102 Mon May 04 2015 8:17am
Baco

Belgium 

That's what my dealer said (due to EU6 regulations), so at least in my country these won't be available any more. Porsche urged the dealers to sell the Cayenne S Diesel cars in stock asap too.

Post #461103 Mon May 04 2015 8:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12