RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > DVD on Sat Nav screen and IPOD control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
DVD on Sat Nav screen and IPOD control

Hi All...look what i have found while browsing today..

Cheers Neil

I think a lot of you will be happy to hear that Nav-TV has THE solution for your Range Rover Sport, Full size Range Rover and also The LR3. Our product will allow you to select your Audio Video source (like DVD, TV or whatever your heart desires) through a new Touch Screen menu option which will appear once our Nav-TV Range Rover kit is installed. We are all very proud of the quality of this product! This is the first Aftermarket Solution (but behaves like factory) that harnesses M.O.S.T. (Media Oriented Systems Transport) Technology. For those of you that have a DVD player and/or Headrest monitors from the factory, you can view that same video source on your navigation screen as well as add a second Audio Video source to your setup. We are also currently working on finalizing our new iPod 2 Rover Kit, which will give you iPod controls through the radio, charge your iPod and view your playlist, song title, artist etc. on the navigation screen. This will be available in about a month, but our Audio Video Input Kits are shipping now. You are welcome to email me at Chris@nav-tv.com, or give us a call so that we can refer you to a Nav-TV Dealer closest to you.

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php...mp;start=0 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #2467 Mon Sep 19 2005 3:17pm
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Thanks for that post Neil - finding a TV solution was one of the 3 main reasons I joined the forum - sad but true. 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #2469 Mon Sep 19 2005 4:05pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Thanks Neil! The TV's not for me, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the iPod solution - that's just what I need!

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2473 Mon Sep 19 2005 8:07pm
grommet

United States 

FYI: The NavTV folks have been jerking around people for ages with misinformation. ("In about a month" for about a year, starting with Disco3/LR3.)

Previously, all they did was sell you BMW parts for the BMW built head units in the old Range Rover... so it "behaves like factory" -- because it was factory!

Don't believe any functionality until you see it in action. (Video doesn't even run over the MOST bus in the LR3/RRS.) And the RRS already has 2 additional video inputs if fitted with the factory DVD.

Let's hope they've done their homework, since previously they really seemed to confuse everything.

I know they did do a decent job with their video bypass switch box, that allows you to feed video/tuner into existing factory screens. Works well for reverse camera, etc.

And please, don't encourage spam style posting by reposting the same posting he spammed all over the other site!

Post #2477 Tue Sep 20 2005 1:26am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Nav-TV is for real, at least as far as the audio-video interface is concerned. It is an expensive module though, about US$1500 for cars already equipped with RSE, according to a local Nav-TV dealer I contacted, and that is just to get DVD playback on front monitor, which is something you currently cannot do in US-spec cars. Overfinch - which I contacted earlier here in the US - offers a simliar solution for about the same money. The Nav-TV module will allow DVD playback on front monitor whether the car is stationary or not. It will also allow front monitor playback of another A/V source, if supplied (such as a TV tuner, which costs substantially more.) Playback will stop when reverse gear is engaged, that is because there will soon be a backup camera interface also available from Nav-TV that could be added to the system.

Chris of Nav-TV posted some pictures of the system installed in a RRS on rangerovers.net this morning, here are the links:

--QUOTE--
I have pictures of the Rover Sport Installation. Here's a pic of the Rover Audio Video Kit in place (visible). http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?...7483745018
Here's a pic of the TV Button now available once our Kit is installed:http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=48822951408&photoid=65828312408&&refreshkey=1127483745018
Here's another pic of the screen, installation being finished up:http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=48822951408&photoid=56627312408&&refreshkey=1127483745018
A Picture of Video on the screen, Full screen: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?...7483745018
--UNQUOTE-- 

Post #2669 Fri Sep 23 2005 5:48pm
grommet

United States 

umbertob, if you wire up the factory rear DVD system to the video input that is normally used for overseas vehicles (from the picture, that's what they do too)... is the UI still there that allows viewing? (I've only seen the non-locked out version at shows, which has the UI to show video.)

Seems like this Nav-TV/Alpine solution is an awful lot of money for something you "almost have." The core LR/Alpine system also supports a rear view camera (see Range Rover), it just isn't programmed for it on RRS/LR3. I wish they'd explain what they (Nav-TV) are really doing and "why." Wedging on generic Alpine OEM bits?

Just save the money and view the video in diag mode after wiring it up.

Anyway, Land Rover should just fix the North America system so it works while parked. That'll make more people happy and still be safe/legal. Ugh.

Post #2670 Fri Sep 23 2005 10:28pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Wko knows... There has got to be more radical modifications involved than just running a wire from RSE video out to monitor video in. On cars with RSE such as mine, Nav-TV needs this module to be shipped to them to perform the "secret" upgrade. Their local dealer anticipated I would be without radio for a couple of days as my module travels back and forth between them and Nav-TV.

I am getting more details from Overfinch USA on what their own video upgrade consists of, as I mentioned they want just as much money as Nav-TV. I have the feeling it is something very similar.

Regardless of how they do it I completely agree with you though, it is a heck of a lot of money for what you get in the end. If they at least threw in a TV tuner or backup camera I would feel like I am actually getting something that I don't almost have already and would be more willing to go for it... As I mentioned on another forum, for US$1500 I could hire some guy to drive me around for a couple of hours every now and then, watch my movies from the safety of the back seat, and really feel like a rich bastard in the process. Laughing 

Post #2671 Fri Sep 23 2005 11:03pm
BBlackRRS

Hello Californians, I live in the county of oranges and spoke to my local NAV-TV rep who the company forwarded me to. He was quoting me $3800 for the job done. I really don't care about the iPod control or DVD input that much although it is a neat feature. I don't have the Rear Ent. System, what i DO want is a backup camera, mainly because I have dark tint and it's a pain in the arse to park at night. For this alone, I am getting quotes around $1800, then I get the runaround from the installer that, "You might as well get the whole shabang and spend the $3800 if your'e going to do that".
I know I spent nearly $80k w/ tax.... on my new ride but I don't think that means I should pay more as a result. I know the car is new, blah blah blah, You could say I don't know what is involved and I don't, BUT, I almost want to boycot until we hear exactly what they are doing to parts we paid for and/or wait until someone else does it, not because I don't have the money but mainly for the reason that I feel completely ripped off just talking to these guys.

Post #2677 Sat Sep 24 2005 7:16pm
grommet

United States 

There are 3 analog video inputs on the rear of the Touchscreen, one of which is supposed to be fed by the rear DVD video unit. (Note: They are odd connectors.) It's not wired in North America. It's very possible it may "just work" if connected. I have no idea if they changed anything else to prevent it's use. If you are feeling adventuresome, take any portable device with analog composite video out and see if you can get a picture in the "black box" of the DVD controls on the Touchscreen. If that's successful... then you need to figure out how to wire the rear DVD playback unit all the way to the Touchscreen, and the behavior may just be like overseas.

Anyway, as I said before... stupid Land Rover! In '07, fix it so it works while parked!

Post #3110 Mon Oct 10 2005 1:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1