RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Front Tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Spain 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Galway Green
Front Tyre wear

My RRS i have had from new May 20111 and it has covered 40,000 miles.
At the last service May2014 my front nearside tyre was wearing on the outside, so had the car tracking and wheels balanced and a new tyre fitted.
Since then during the last year I have had the tracking done again and the front re-balanced because the same tyre was/is wearing again, the car has just been into L/R for its service and has covered 10,000 miles in this last year, I asked them about the (to me abnormal tyre wear) and they have stated that RRS are built that way that the front tyres wear that way.

Surely this can't be normal, I have never had this with any of my other L/Rs.
This car is used very rarely as I tend to use my Disco for everyday use and crap.

Any ideas or do you agree with L/R

Post #458697 Thu Apr 09 2015 4:46pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Does not sound 'normal' if one front tyre is wearing unevenly.

When you say 'had the tracking checked' do you mean just that?

A simple check of tracking isn't adequate. You must have a full four wheel alignment carried out. It seems the only reliable!e way to have this done is at a centre which has the Hunter Hawkeye system installed and a technician who is fully trained and experienced.

Of course you need to be sure there is no problem with wear anywhere in the front suspension and steering but your dealership should have checked that at the service? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #458703 Thu Apr 09 2015 5:22pm

I have had the car checked on the 4 wheel alignment by Hunter Hawkeye ,as you say it is the only way on a 4xx4 to get a correct diagnosis.

The car came back from the L/R dealership today after its service and those were the comments passed to my wife "that it is normal on RRS for the tyres to wear on the outside edges"

Something in all my ownership of various RR vehicles since 1970 that I have never had a problem with, and to me it seems a very strange comment.

I have tried to speak to one of the service managers but couldn't get anyone this afternoon as they were closing up for the day, but will be on to them tomorrow, just thought that I would get a few possible replies on here tonight in preparation for my conversation with L/R tomorrow.

Post #458721 Thu Apr 09 2015 7:06pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My TDV8 wears the outside shoulders, always has in the 3 years I've had it. Had many alignments done and it still does it, although to a lesser degree. I don't run RRS standard tyres, however, as I run 255/55/19 (rather than the "correct" 50% ratio).

With everything else that's gone wrong with mine, the tyre wear hasn't been too big an issue for me... Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #458734 Thu Apr 09 2015 9:47pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

My TDV8 wore both front tyres on their inner edge which i only noticed when i got a shimmer through the steering wheel. I had a 4 wheel alignment done at a local Indy, with two new tyres and did a further 30k miles before selling it and the new tyres wore perfectly evenly across the surface. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #458744 Fri Apr 10 2015 8:31am

Spoke with L/R today who say that there is nothing unusual with the tyre wear on a Sport and that first of all the nearside will wear first and then the offside , but considering the wear the rest of the tyre is perfect and it is only on the outside.

My comment was that as it has had 4 wheel alignment done twice in the last year and this is happening to just one tytre there has to be something not correct.
They are going to have it back in and see what it could be if anything, next week.
So will have to wait till then.
Thanks for all the replies, luckily these days we can all check many things on the internet rather than just relying on what a manufacturer has to say.
Have a good weekend all.

Post #458774 Fri Apr 10 2015 7:53pm
Wayneclarke

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Bradders wrote:
My TDV8 wore both front tyres on their inner edge which i only noticed when i got a shimmer through the steering wheel. I had a 4 wheel alignment done at a local Indy, with two new tyres and did a further 30k miles before selling it and the new tyres wore perfectly evenly across the surface.

What was the cost if you don't mind me asking??

Post #458799 Sat Apr 11 2015 9:33am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Recently had 4 wheel alignment done properly after my indie screwed it up. Took it to a recently set up place nearby which has brand new latest Hunter kit. They first lifted the rear with neat little air jacks and removed the wheels to gain better access to free off the adjusters with sockets and breaker bar. Wheels were replaced then car up on the Hunter ramp and put into tight tolerance mode. Adjustments were made to all 4 wheels and where necessary they used an electrically powered induction heating device to free off any seized adjusters.

The guys were pleasant and helpful and didn't seem to mind me watching what was going on and asking daft questions. Cost was at top of range at £120 but they spent plenty of time on it. So far tyres are now wearing evenly. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #458803 Sat Apr 11 2015 10:59am
RRSTDV8

If they use Hunter then they shouldn't be able to to screw it up. You should get a "before and after" print of the geometry figures too which will show whether anything is out or not. Unless they don't tighten stuff up properly afterwards I suppose. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #458806 Sat Apr 11 2015 11:19am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Wayneclarke wrote:
Bradders wrote:
My TDV8 wore both front tyres on their inner edge which i only noticed when i got a shimmer through the steering wheel. I had a 4 wheel alignment done at a local Indy, with two new tyres and did a further 30k miles before selling it and the new tyres wore perfectly evenly across the surface.

What was the cost if you don't mind me asking??

Cost £140. They fitted me in the day before we were due to go on holiday in the car so I was delighted. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #458807 Sat Apr 11 2015 11:55am
RRSTDV8

I think part of the wear issue is down to the nature of the air suspension. The suspension has a fairly generous tolerance built in so that you can have wheels at quite different ride heights even when on the flat. Because the wheels naturally change toe and camber settings as they move through their ride height range, a change in ride height will change the geometry. If the geometry is set up at a certain ride height and the EAS system then allows it to "drift" you could be driving with incorrect settings. Each car's suspension ECU will, naturally, be slightly different so I could see different cars suffering this varying degrees.

This is the only reason I can come up with for why tyres wear as they do even when the alignment is pretty close to ideal when adjusted on a Hunter system. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #458825 Sat Apr 11 2015 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1