RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > My 2008 RRS 2.7 SE (now with winch)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

GibRRS

Gibraltar 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey
My 2008 RRS 2.7 SE (now with winch)

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my motor. The winch was a real b@57*rd to fit!

On a weekend break in Portugal

On the tracks in Portugal

Now with recently fitted winch and driving lamps fitted.
The fitting of the winch is not for the faint hearted as the LR instructions supplied with the new kit are rather vague (to be polite), and mainly designed for the Discovery.

Regards to all

Andy (GibRRS)

Post #458334 Sun Apr 05 2015 9:11pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Looks good - very G4! Thumbs Up

Did you consider one of the hidden mounts that have the winch inside the bumper? If so, why did you choose the LR mount?

Did you fit the driving light pods yourself? These are apparently a pain to fit too - did you find that to be the case? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #458346 Sun Apr 05 2015 11:29pm
GibRRS

I did consider it for a bit, especially due to the massive price difference. Not being able to see one close up to see how they are actually fitted made me question their actual effectiveness.
The descreet winch mount looks like it must be mounted really close to the inter cooler radiator, which to be honest concerned me quite a bit.
Having seen many photos of the G4 RRS I quite liked the look and was quite happy fit the same mount to mine. As you probably know we are very limited when it comes to mounts and winches, it's either the original or the descreet mount and that's it.
I also wanted a winch that I could be confident with, and that it would actually do the job when the time came up to use it.
The original mount is truly a solid piece of kit and adds quite a bit of weight to the front of the car especially if like me you fit the LR sump shield as well.
I hunted around quite a bit trying to get a used kit but there was nothing available.
However having now fitted one without any outside help or advice, I can say I'm glad I had a new kit as it would have been near impossible had I tried to fit a used kit, especially without the crap LR instructions.

However, having now fitted one myself should any member come across a used kit at a good price, I am hear for any advice you may need and I have 3 sets of different LR instructions. These have the measurments for the cutting of the RRS front bumper which I had to source elsewhere as the new kit never came with them despite ordering a kit for a RRS!

Regards to all
Andy (GibRRS)

Post #458364 Mon Apr 06 2015 10:13am
GibRRS

RRSTDV8, sorry forget to tell you about the light pods. I bought these ages ago on Ebay and even had them colour matched by a local painter. Since I was whipping of the front bumper and hacking into it I thought I'd do both jobs at the same time. The LR instructions say to cut the bumper with it still mounted to the car, but I found it easy with the bumper off. The bumper is easily removed.
I have completed the engine bay wiring and the lights are all fitted and connected. I still have to connect the additional harness inside the cabin and fit the switch which I haven't completed sooner due to work commitments.
This whole job can be carried in two parts if you wish as you still use the original fog light wiring, so right now I still have working fog lights on the new light pods.

Regards
Andy (GibRRS)

Post #458365 Mon Apr 06 2015 10:26am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sorry to hijack the thread - if anybody is looking for a new and neevr used set of the driving/ fog light pods complete, only opened once to check the contents and never fitted I have a set that have sat in my garage loft for 6 years................ sensible offers considered! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #458366 Mon Apr 06 2015 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GibRRS

Some more pics for you guys

Regards
Andy. (GibRRS)

Post #458371 Mon Apr 06 2015 10:52am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That's useful info, thanks. Thumbs Up I've got a set of light pods in the correct colour, in my garage but haven't thought too hard about fitting them yet.

I'm tempted by a discrete winch mount, just because in daily use the vehicle would look reasonably standard unless someone looked closely. Having said that, a winch is a long way down the wish list at the moment. I'm looking at getting some underbody protection but as you know it's tricky to find. As far as I can tell, some D3 stuff will fit e.g. rear diff guard, but front plates are obviously different because the front bumper design is different. I keep meaning to have a chat with Prospeed about their EAS compressor plate. If that fits then I think it will be a good investment at £180. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #458382 Mon Apr 06 2015 11:43am
GibRRS

These guys have some bits www.greenovalexperience.com , downside is it has to come from down under!
I've ordered from them before and service was pretty good.
Like you say stuff is hard to find especially as most RRS are used 'on - road' only.

Regards
Andy (GibRRS)[/url]

Post #458388 Mon Apr 06 2015 1:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1