RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > On My Third Set Of Wipers!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Adam RRS

United Kingdom 
On My Third Set Of Wipers!

Had some real issues with my front wipers.

Over the space of 5/6 weeks the drivers side wiper somehow bends out of shape right in the middle so when used i'm left with a smear directly in my view line.

I've tried cleaning them etc but makes no difference really.... So ive now resulted twice to buying a new one which lasts a while then it happens again. Big Cry

Its driving me mad. Anyone? WINNER - 2009 Best in Class Range Rover Sport Award

MY14 Corris Grey RRS HSE SDV6

Post #458180 Sat Apr 04 2015 10:16am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

What are you cleaning the windscreen with? What screenwash are you using? Just wondering if these are having an effect on your wipers.

Post #458202 Sat Apr 04 2015 5:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adam RRS

United Kingdom 

Just regular car wash shampoo.... Glass cleaner afterwards, nothing exciting really.

Screen wash...

So confused. WINNER - 2009 Best in Class Range Rover Sport Award

Post #458203 Sat Apr 04 2015 5:22pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Are you replacing the wipers with OEM wipers?

Post #458204 Sat Apr 04 2015 5:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adam RRS

United Kingdom 

Yeah from duckworths WINNER - 2009 Best in Class Range Rover Sport Award

Post #458205 Sat Apr 04 2015 5:48pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Hmm, have a word with your dealer then. I can only think there is something on your screen causing a resistance of the wiper.

Post #458207 Sat Apr 04 2015 6:12pm
Chrisr1806

England 

There's obviously a problem there. My wipers are still the originals and still clean the screen perfectly! Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #458252 Sat Apr 04 2015 9:46pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

This article appeared in today's Sunday Times...might help!

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/ingear...2c8074aff9

A smeary film keeps appearing on my VW Golf’s windscreen. I clean the car every two weeks with a jet washer, and I use VW screenwash, Autoglym glass polish and glass cleaner on a microfibre cloth. I even clean the wiper blades, but still the film returns. Why? SF, Plymouth

Detritus in the air such as diesel exhaust, tree sap, particles of tyre rubber and general grime accumulate on windscreens, no matter how meticulous your cleaning regime.

Where and for how long the car is driven will be a key factor: for example, sitting for hours a day in rush-hour traffic is far worse than pootling through the countryside.

Check that you’re adding enough screenwash — the recommended concentration will be given on the bottle. If you don’t use it already, you might want to switch to Comma Xstream ( £15-£20 for five litres of concentrate), which often comes top in independent tests.

If the problem persists, give the screen a deep clean. A cheap option is to scrunch up newspaper and rub the dry screen with it.

To go a stage further, Glass Doctors (01494 813 583, glassdoctors.co.uk) suggests using a polish that includes cerium oxide to remove a microscopic layer of the glass, including the unwanted coating. Suppliers include Glass Polish Shop (0800 072 7857 FREE, glasspolishshop.com), which sells it as part of a selection of windscreen repair and polishing kits starting at £16. Its kits are designed to be used with an electric drill polisher because of the large area of glass involved. First, and this is crucial, test the process on a small area in the corner of the screen to get a feel for it, and be careful not to overdo it. DP

Post #458276 Sun Apr 05 2015 8:55am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I once had a car (a white Rover "Tomcat" Coupe) attacked with a permanent marker pen and the only thing that would remove the ink damage from the glass areas was White Spirit, it also removed all sorts of other dirt ingrained into the glass! Take a good quality cloth (NOT a yellow duster though) and a small bottle of white spirit. Apply a small amount of white spirit to the cloth and rub into the windscreen, testing a small area first. Do the entire screen and then rinse off with HAND HOT water (not fresh boiled though as you will crack the screen!) with either a small amount of Vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon juice in it and applied by a cloth too. Dry off with a couple of sheets of newspaper then apply a proprietory glass polish. While cleaning the screen make sure the wipers are lifted off the glass and clean the wiper blades with the Vinegar/lemon juice solution (don't use white spirit on them). Do NOT spray white spirit on the glass as it can damage painted surfaces near to the screen and only use a small amount on the cloth, renewing it frequently. Also don't use Turps as a substitute for the white spirit as it doesn't work! Another good de-greaser if you know it is a grease/oily spot is Swarfega gently rubbed into the greasy area, but make sure it is the green, grit free Swarfega and not one of the ones with fine grit/ plastic beads in it! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #458281 Sun Apr 05 2015 9:45am
p29926

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Re: On My Third Set Of Wipers!

Adam RRS wrote:
Had some real issues with my front wipers.

Over the space of 5/6 weeks the drivers side wiper somehow bends out of shape right in the middle so when used i'm left with a smear directly in my view line.

I've tried cleaning them etc but makes no difference really.... So ive now resulted twice to buying a new one which lasts a while then it happens again. Big Cry

Its driving me mad. Anyone?

I have this problem too on my 2014 RRS. Dealer have swapped the blade and then the arm but the problem is still there.
Clearly a design fault

Post #465565 Wed Jun 24 2015 2:28pm
Renaco

Germany 

+1, the wipers on my car working perfectly. L494 MY15, 12.000 miles city and highway ride since January, 2.000 miles offread.

By the way, I changed my rear-wiper, because I felt it looks to old-fashioned and is a bit short. I use now the Bosch Aerotwin Flatblade, 450mm length instead of the short 380mm original. Result is a wider cleaning and a better look... Wink

Post #465579 Wed Jun 24 2015 4:31pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Can only be described as a design fault if a good percentage of cars are affected, this clearly is not the case judging by the lack of confirming posts, mine are fine.

Maybe but I also get this on my 63-plate MY14 so perhaps it was something on early cars. With me the bottom end of the driver's blade leaves a smear that I have to peer around. Having a new windscreen tomorrow so will also change the blade and see if it makes a difference,

Post #465586 Wed Jun 24 2015 5:15pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Mines an early-ish car (March 2014) but I can't say I've ever noticed a problem. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #465613 Wed Jun 24 2015 8:36pm
rangiejools

Australia 

I've had exactly the same problem. Have changed the wipers once which made little difference. Have tried all sorts of things to clean the windscreen with no luck. Last service dealer used a Landrover product that made it a little bit better. Only smears on drivers side in line of sight. I think its the windscreen itself. Not exactly dangerous but really distracting when driving in rain. The smear is where the passenger side wiper is at the extreme end of its arc. Leaves a blur for a couple of wipes when raining.

SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #465871 Sat Jun 27 2015 2:10am
BigBen

United Kingdom 

Had this smear problem from new ( over 2 years) and tried all the suggestions on this site to remove problem. Just changed the wipers for a set of Bosch Aerotwins and problem has virtually gone immediately. IMO a much better blade for half the price of OEM.

Post #499757 Tue Jun 28 2016 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>