RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Brembo Brakes - worth having?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

AndrewM

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Brembo Brakes - worth having?

I'm considering a new HSE Dynamic and would value members opinions whether the "20 inch Red Brembo™ branded brake calipers" option is worth LR's extra £330 over the standard set-up. I gather its only the front pair that are Brembos, the rear remain standard LR units, just painted red to match!

Doing mainly local driving and being well past 'boy racer' age, would you gain more during distance/speed driving or do they generally improve stopping?

Any views gratefully received!

Post #457695 Mon Mar 30 2015 6:50pm
robbo770

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Brembo's are a must, but if your just paying for red ones instead of the standard black ones,,, £330 is a bit steep especially as the rears are the same except on the SVR, which are same pads but larger discs and carriers.

Land Rover should be embarrassed they did not just fit Brembo's on the rear too, the original red ones are terrible for rusting and paint bleaching off!!

Mine just got approved under a year old to replace the rear Calipers and the carrier when I get home from work rotation.

Big thanks to Pete at LR again for sorting the dealer out Thumbs Up None currently

Gone
rejected RRS autobi Dynamic MY14.5 (Peter Vardy 👎)
D3 XXV full conversion
4.2 SC FFRR
4.4 FFRR
Freelander 1

Post #457712 Mon Mar 30 2015 8:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Ummm. so what are we saying here? The front brakes are Brembo finished, but have the same size pads and discs as the non Brembo branded rears?
It appears that with the adaptive dynamic package, a lot more braking is done on the rear, as the rear alloys collect dust twice as fast as the front alloys. Or is this because the rear pads are of of non Brembo manufacture? I would also add that on my prior RRS1 TDV8 which had Brembos on both axles, the alloys were quite swiftly sooted up in equal measure.
Edit:
Last October, on the 10k service with my AB, the report was all pads were 10pc worn.

Last edited by peanutbob on Mon Mar 30 2015 9:27pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #457722 Mon Mar 30 2015 9:25pm
Chrisr1806

England 

My standard brakes work fine so I personally wouldn't, but then what do I know? Confused Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #457723 Mon Mar 30 2015 9:25pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I went to some considerable lengths to ascertain that the "upgrade" to red callipers is just that i.e. the standard callipers painted red. They use the same pads as the black callipers (not surprising, as they are the same callipers) and of course there is no improvement in braking performance. Personally, I can think of better ways of spending £330. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #457736 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:12pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

£144 + shipping. http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...IoCEKcrMAc 

Post #457738 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:16pm
robbo770

only benefit currently with red one is at the first sign of corrosion or major bleaching of the colour you get new carriers and caliper complete on warranty as this is not acceptable under the paint warranty!

but new supplier is now in place at LR so I am sure it will only apply to certain vins shortly, and only once or twice if the replacements were of the same supplier.

which is fair enough, I am just glad my are getting replaced as they look awful! None currently

Gone
D3 XXV full conversion
4.2 SC FFRR
4.4 FFRR
Freelander 1

Post #457739 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peanutbob

So, in essence, the extra £330 covers a better paint job with Brembo detail, than standard black callipers...for the front..whilst the rears are of a lesser paint job, non Brembo detail. All components the same quality..?!

Post #457741 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:25pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

philmw wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #457742 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:26pm
robbo770

The rear paint job is crap whether original grey or red😜 None currently

Gone
D3 XXV full conversion
4.2 SC FFRR
4.4 FFRR
Freelander 1

Post #457743 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:28pm
peanutbob

philmw wrote:

Is this for the brakes...or a replacement for the ODP port being compromised?

Post #457745 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I recall from one of the MY changes with the first generation RRS the S/C and TDv8 lost the branding on the Brembos but the system remained the same. I asked one of my dealer friends why and the theory was that LR had to pay Brembo a royalty to have the Brembo logo on the callipers and no royalty if they didn't advertise the maker! Regardless of the transfer on the caliber, you still got Brembo callipers and discs. One thing for sure, when I changed from the TDv8 Sport to the 3.6 TDV8 L322 FFRR, the FFRR most certainly didn't have the Brembos at all as the first time I tried to stop at the traffic lights going around the Hanger Lane gyro I very nearly ended up with my brand new pride and joy stuffed in boot of the car in front as I was so used to the fantastic stoppers on the TDv8RRS! I thought there was something wrong with the FFRR's brakes! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #457751 Mon Mar 30 2015 11:27pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Having gone from my TDV8 with Brembos to a 3 series touring with BMW 'Performance Brakes' I appreciate how well the Brembos hauled 2.5t to a stop so well. I took a while to adjust as the BMWs don't come close. Cant imagine what the standard BM brakes are like. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #457760 Tue Mar 31 2015 8:59am
AndrewM

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Thanks to all responders - I'll go back to the dealer and try to confirm what you really get with the Brembo upgrade. Would LR really try to con us with just a coat of red paint if they already fitted Brembo calipers? Hmmm... perhaps I'm just naive!

Post #457768 Tue Mar 31 2015 11:37am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

As far as I am aware, all the brakes are functionally the same. You pay for the red paint and logos. Regards

Malcolm

Post #457770 Tue Mar 31 2015 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>