RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > HUD / Traffic Sign Recognition with Lane Departure Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

steve_hmmm

United Kingdom 
HUD / Traffic Sign Recognition with Lane Departure Warning

Hi All,

Considering going for HUD on MY15.5 order, as the regular digital speedo in the HSE I test drove didn't exactly stand out - compared to my current Merc E350 - where it's front & centre.

After 20 years of carrying too many points Twisted Evil I'm finally down to zero... which helps me self-justify it's inclusion as an "!investment" Smile

And the JLR blurb on net [below] mentions traffic sign recognition (which would be great!), but it's a little unclear (to me at least) if this would only be included if the Traffic Sign Recognition option is also purchased (extra £600).

Wondered if anyone had any personal experience/opinions?

*** JLR: "HUD data includes vehicle speed, gear position and shift indicator, cruise-control information, satellite-navigation instructions and Traffic-Sign Recognition" ***

Thanks.[/i]

Post #457219 Thu Mar 26 2015 10:25am
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Well this is something which is interesting me as well, I think it can only be a software tweak, I came to this conclusion due to the fact that I know this uses the same camera as the lane departure warning (which I have) but I do not seem to have the sign recognition...suggesting that it might be able to be retrospectively activated at some point? 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #457220 Thu Mar 26 2015 10:36am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I thought lane departure warning came with the traffic sign recognition.

ETA: And yes, I believe it is only displayed on the HUD if it has been specd as the £600 option. 

Last edited by philmw on Thu Mar 26 2015 3:28pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #457237 Thu Mar 26 2015 1:26pm
sally

United Kingdom 

Ive ordered HUD on mine. When i collect the car (tomorrow hopefully) ill see if it had LDW and get back to you 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #457242 Thu Mar 26 2015 1:57pm
steve_hmmm

United Kingdom 

That would be very kind Sally - thank you for the offer and have a great time collecting your car. Mr. Green

Post #457244 Thu Mar 26 2015 2:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have the lane departure and Sign recognition on my Evoque, but not the HUD. The road sign recognition is very good and appears not only to be able read signs but also compare them with the car's position on the satnav and a database as sometimes when driving locally I get speed limits that I know have been moved/ adjusted showing up even though I haven't passed the signs yet! The lane departure just vibrates the steering wheel - don't see how it is enough to wake up a driver who has fallen asleep at the wheel, but where it is helpful is on my local back road where the edge of the road is marked by a white line, as soon as you cross that nearside line not only does the steering wheel vibrate but the icon on the dash shows the lines on the nearside in red when normally they are green or if there is no white line then no icon shows. The road sign recognition also works with variable speed limits shown on over head gantries too, I will miss it as my new RRS doesn't have it fitted and there is no excuse for not knowing what the speed limit is when you have RSR fitted. It will also show up to 4 roadsigns at once BUT when it is on you loose the temperature gauge from the dash - you can switch the RSR off too 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Fri Mar 27 2015 4:05pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #457274 Thu Mar 26 2015 8:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rainbow

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

I have the HUD on my 2015.5 car. The Traffic sign recognitions option I found to be surprisingly useful even on the test drive car I had for a couple of days which didn't have the HUD. I've never seen an option to have the Lane Departure Warning indications displayed on the HUD. I believe the dash has the capability of displaying more than one traffic sign, e.g. speed plus on overtaking. I can only recall seeing the speed sign in the HUD. I would spec both the HUD and the Traffic Sign Recognition again.

Post #457334 Fri Mar 27 2015 12:48pm
steve_hmmm

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for the advice Rainbow. Bow down

Read some previous posts about the dash mounted laser looking a bit clunky, but the poster wasn't sure if he had only seen a prototype.

How's it look on your dash.... shexxxxy or B L O C K Y Very Happy

Post #457365 Fri Mar 27 2015 7:23pm
Rainbow

I wouldn't say it was blocky, it is obviously a separate extension to the binnacle but it has been done quite well. It is plastic though not covered in leather but you don't really notice it, certainly not on a black leather dashboard. I'll post a shot later.

Post #457395 Sat Mar 28 2015 7:51am
Rainbow

Here is how it looks with Ebony trim.

Post #457407 Sat Mar 28 2015 11:35am
steve_hmmm

United Kingdom 

Hey that looks great. Thank you very much for taking the time to post pics. I think you've definitely swayed my decision Very Happy

Post #457408 Sat Mar 28 2015 11:55am
Rainbow

One thing to bear in mind. You have to also specify the climate control windscreen when you spec the HUD.

Post #457431 Sat Mar 28 2015 3:13pm
steve_hmmm

United Kingdom 

That was already top of my list... what with the blistering weather we have Cool

Post #457434 Sat Mar 28 2015 3:19pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Traffic sign recognition wasn't displayed by the HUD on the car I drove last week.
The handbook extract below seems to confirm that's the case up to 15MY at least. Nice to know that it is good up to 155mph though! I don't remember seeing that sign on the Gaydon track during the launch event but I only got up to 150mph. Wonder what's the highest defined speed limit sign on a public road worldwide?

Post #457486 Sat Mar 28 2015 10:41pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #457497 Sun Mar 29 2015 7:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>