Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TDV8 Brembo Brake Pads & Discs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRS-Spy

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
TDV8 Brembo Brake Pads & Discs

Hi all,

The brake sensor light has come on my dashboard which means the front brake pads will need changing - the back ones were done a few months ago.

I had a few questions:

1) When jacking the car up - what is the procedure in order to avoid any fault lights eg put the car into extended height, open the tailgate ???

2) Can anyone recommend good, OEM quality brake pads or should I only go for genuine LR pads ?

Thanks Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Last edited by RRS-Spy on Wed Jun 26 2013 9:51am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #386942 Tue Jun 25 2013 11:36am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Jacking:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ifting.pdf

If you put the car in off road height first there is less jacking to do and the car will be at less of a silly angle when jacked up on one side.

Highly recommend use of jack adapter that fits into the holes in the chassis rails - there is currently a group buy going on the 'for sale and wanted' section.

A good motor factor should be able to find you some OEM pads. Cue 'boring old git'..... Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #386943 Tue Jun 25 2013 12:04pm
RRS-Spy

Thanks for the Jacking link Paddi.

As regards the pads, has anyone used these Brembo aftermarket pads. Not LR but I believe made by Brembo :

http://www.nextdaybrakes.com/brembo-front-...283797.htm Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #386949 Tue Jun 25 2013 12:44pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Sorry bit slow off the mark there chaps

Right Brembo P44018 £46.29 inc VAT plus delivery from me. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2776
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #386971 Tue Jun 25 2013 4:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS-Spy

I have done a search and seen many people recommend replacing the discs with original LR parts and then use aftermarket pads.

If I am changing both, would Brembo discs with Brembo pads be a good choice ?

Has anyone used Brembo discs ?

Are there better alternatives ? Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #387054 Wed Jun 26 2013 9:52am
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Brembo are the OE Disc supplier to LR Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2776
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #387063 Wed Jun 26 2013 10:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Yellowstuff pads Thumbs Up

Post #387069 Wed Jun 26 2013 12:57pm
RRS-Spy

FAIL !

OK, I bought the Brembo pads (from Steve at Advanced Factors, a sponsor here) and an original LR brake sensor from my local dealer Hadley Green. Got myself some copper grease etc and was all ready to change the brake pads.

I have a Halfords 2 tonne trolley jack which I have used in the past to jack the rear wheels to change a punctured tyre.

Unfortunately, the jack doesn't seem capable of lifting the front of the RRS !

I put the RRS into extended height mode and proceeded to jack from the recommended jacking point. The car did its usual thing with the whole body and suspension lifting whilst the wheel stayed put on the ground. It kept lifting until it got to a point where the jack had no more lift in it yet there was not enough clearance to remove the wheel Rolling Eyes

The manual says that 1.5 tonne jack is ok for single wheel removal.

Have I done something wrong or is it my trolley jack ? Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #387423 Sun Jun 30 2013 1:49pm
UK Guy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you need to put the car in low mode and lock it (I.e hold button pressed until locked) then jack up.
This will then work as a normall car would.
P.s. I've seen my indi do this on mine.

Hope this helps
UK Guy RRS HSE with a few extras & a
2013 RRS Autobiography

Post #387426 Sun Jun 30 2013 2:19pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

You can jack one wheel up at a time under the wishbone bpwith no problem. I still use an axle stand just to be secure. Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #387433 Sun Jun 30 2013 6:24pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Anyone know what the correct torque is for the Brembo caliper bolts please? Changing my front discs and pads this weekend and have done one side today but can't find the torque setting so just did them very tight about most I can get is 150 Nm but the TdV6 fronts according to Bodsy brake bible is a muscle popping 275Nm which seems a bit high for an aluminium caliper? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #387987 Sat Jul 06 2013 7:46pm
scott1963

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
brembo front brakes

hi dont do what i done bought aftermarket discs and pads to cure a steering wheel shimmy i went through three sets of discs and pads before i found the steering wheel shimmy when applying the brake i went and bought genuine brembo discs and the pads from dealer problem solved when i looked at the brembo pad there is a differance the face of them are straight aftermarket ones are angled at each end witch dosnt help when applying the brake as it dosnt cover the full disk the brembo pad covers the whole disc.anyway the brembo calliper has harmonic weights on them that cuts out the brake sqweel so i found out the hard way £££££££ when all i had to do is put the correct pads in dont try and cheep skate these 4x4 it will bite you in the bum

Post #445325 Mon Dec 15 2014 5:16am
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

interesting, I have changed front pads to Mintex with a bit cut off either edge, and they work fine, done nearly 1000 miles now 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #456411 Wed Mar 18 2015 11:03pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 
Re: brembo front brakes

scott1963 wrote:
when i looked at the brembo pad there is a differance the face of them are straight aftermarket ones are angled at each end witch dosnt help when applying the brake as it dosnt cover the full disk the brembo pad covers the whole disc.

I think it unlikely that your problem was caused by the chamfer on the pads; this quite normal (if not for the Brembo type ones) and found on most styles of pad to reduce noise and vibration. The issue will have been caused by the poor quality pad material itself. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #456440 Thu Mar 19 2015 10:55am
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Paddi wrote:
Anyone know what the correct torque is for the Brembo caliper bolts please? Changing my front discs and pads this weekend and have done one side today but can't find the torque setting so just did them very tight about most I can get is 150 Nm but the TdV6 fronts according to Bodsy brake bible is a muscle popping 275Nm which seems a bit high for an aluminium caliper?

Post #456492 Thu Mar 19 2015 11:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1