RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Ipod, sat nav and the rest of that stuff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Driller

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black
Ipod, sat nav and the rest of that stuff

Thought i might put this out there, been looking around for a while for a suitable sat nav/ipod control and may have found it! I ony have the high ice and therefore no screen at the moment but saw this website: http://www.xenarc.com/product/cp-fl9.html I must say looks very interesting. Should be able to do both of these tasks as well as play DVD's. Only real restriction would be the amount of software you install on it! Going to see if this thing is compatible with a stock LR monitor and fit the Car PC (as they call it) in the top glove box, running audio down and into the aux input of the stereo. Still got to find out some more info but will keep you all posted as to the outcome. Very Happy

Post #59046 Sat Sep 30 2006 8:12pm
ddazzler

Australia 

Sounds interesting. I do seem to remember a setup that ran dual DVDs (ie one for sat nav other for DVDs etc) Think it was a VDO drayton job.

Post #59158 Sun Oct 01 2006 11:50am
Driller

no need for dual DVD's, 40 GB hard drive, just install sat nav straight to hard drive, like the new JVC units coming out Wink Allows you to run both sat nav and play DVD's etc at the same time. Really only limited by what you can install on the computer, have found software which will run Sat nav no probs, just have to find the correct program to allow hands free with the mobile and i should be able to play my ipod straight out of itunes, all controlled via a touch screen monitor!

Post #59234 Sun Oct 01 2006 2:42pm
ddazzler

Australia 

Any idea on the cost yet? Been looking at TOMTOM setup http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post59396.html#59396 but would much rather something that looks a bit more factory and saves running separate DVD system. I know Trivetts in Sydney have someone fitting a system (including headrest monitors) so might check that out.

Cheers.

Post #59397 Mon Oct 02 2006 5:56am
GefRRspts350

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White
Ipod, sat nav and the rest multi media stuff

Hey Guys

As with the trend to Home Entetainment systems (like http://au.shuttle.com/) where one is joining laptops, Dektops, TV, HI FI theatre amps, DVD's and the Net together - (both hardwired and wireless home network) it wont be too long and we shall think it 'normal' to have same in the car.

With Wi Fi etc. you would just pull into the garage and recieve your Home wireless network to up date movies, music and messages and the latest shopping grocery list! Smile

Mircosoft had started on a Windows XP system for the car - hadnt heard anything more. You would have to think that Xenarc type systems would need to at least run XP Multmedia hey?

Geoff 2011 RRS HSE TDV6 (Alaska/Ebony & Piano Black - Premium/Tow/Rear Lock Diff/Premium ICE/20" Stormers
2006 RRS SE TDV6 (Chawton/Ebony) - GONE!!

Geoff Smile

Post #60615 Fri Oct 06 2006 12:12am
Driller

That concept is very close to what i will be achieving with this setup! Been digging around and found a forum called http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ These guys have been playing with this stuff for a few years and it is all possible. What you need is a mini PC installed with windows XP, you then need to have winamp andmedia player for the basics. The PC will need bluetooth, wifi and GPS antenna. All three of these can be fitted into USB ports. The guys on this forum have created an interface called roadrunner which loads upon start up and is displayed on the screen. This software has bluetooth phone built in, dvd and multi media playback, sat nav, ipod and internet capabilities. From here the options are pretty well unlimited, you can install your own programs, ie Destinator or Iguidance and change the prompt in the roadrunner program so when you press the sat nav button on the screen it will open this program instead, same said for power DVD or whatever. The best thing about this program is that these guys use it and so it's constantly being developed, this is where the wifi connection comes in...... once a week, just connect to the internet connection, assuming it's wireless Wink and just get the upgrades!
At the moment i've managed to find a unit which will sit under the passenger seat, can be run through the factory LR GPS antenna and using a VGA touch screen installed in place of the LR one. Apart from the images on the screen, it will look stock standard. Will run the lot through the aux input on the stereo so the wheel controls can still be utilised for volume etc. Just need to get back to oz now and find an audio shop keen to cut up the dash on a two month old Range Rover Sport!

Software also has ability to recognize voice so any application can be opened or closed just by voice Very Happy

Post #60617 Fri Oct 06 2006 5:07am
Pelyma

England 

Speak to 10forcash on the D3 side, he has a pc set up in his car and I think one of the Irish guys has too.

Post #60632 Fri Oct 06 2006 8:51am
Robbi

Guernsey 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Driller wrote:
At the moment i've managed to find a unit which will sit under the passenger seat, can be run through the factory LR GPS antenna and using a VGA touch screen installed in place of the LR one.

You have replaced the stock screen. Why couldn't you use the existing screen? Was it easy to remove?
Is this unit sitting next to the SatNav unit?

Thanks
Rob Rob
*Gone - HSE TDV8 Rimini Red + Tasmod sill plates

Post #61017 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:11pm
Driller

Nah Robbi, opted not to get the LR sat nav option, couldn't justify the cost. The original screen only has an AV input whereas most highend LCD monitors use a VGA input, this is what i have purchased. As for the sat nav, it's all going to be installed on the pc. Running Destinator and voice command, gives me plenty of options as to what i want and can do Very Happy Really only limited by what you install on the computer. Check out www.mp3car.com and the forums there, very informative if your interested in this stuff

Post #61018 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:17pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Driller - this sounds like a great site but I bet they are dead dull! Smile 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #61019 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:18pm
Driller

Indeed VA, very serious and definately no talk of boobies Shocked

Post #61020 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:19pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Maybe I should go and liven things up a little! Laughing 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #61025 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:36pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

As long as you don't go and register as me Evil or Very Mad RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #61029 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:42pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Right registered as Jaymann! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #61033 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:46pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

No you haven't i just had a look RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #61036 Sat Oct 07 2006 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>