RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > How long will detailing a car last?
How long does detailing last for?
3 Months +
63%
 63%  [7]
6 Months +
0%
 0%  [0]
9 Months +
0%
 0%  [0]
12 Months +
27%
 27%  [3]
24 Months +
9%
 9%  [1]
Total Votes: 11

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black
How long will detailing a car last?

Hi guys,

I will soon be having my car detailed so I wanted to find out an average answer to the above question. I appreciate there will be many variables involved like how often do you maintain, what products you use, what colour car etc etc.

My black RRS is maintained fortnightly with an experienced mobile valeter using high quality products and double dip grit guard buckets etc etc.

Thanks in advance Smile I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Last edited by FatJoe on Sun Jan 25 2015 9:46am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #449684 Sun Jan 25 2015 8:59am
PEACHY

England 

See below - I've voted on my paint - cleaning method etc - pushing it to 18 months ( no option ) so I have voted 12 months.

Very good question.

And one I get asked a lot by customers and public.

So firstly you have to consider many differing factors that contribute to "how long does it last".

Very quickly of the top of my head in no particular order

1) What colour is the car? (White hardly showing swirls / black showing everything)

2) How often is the car used? (3 times a year on supercar run / every day to work)

3) When and where is it used (dry/wet / snow with salt/ baking hot sun)

4) Where is it stored (indoors/outdoors/outdoors under tree/ outdoors near industrial factories?)

5) Who washes the car (owner / detailer / valeter / hand car wash / automatic machine?)

6) What the car washed with (proper clean chemicals / washing up liquid/dirty sponge, soft wash mitt?)

7) what products where applied to vehicle after detail (show wax with life span of weeks / sealant with life span of many months / Nano coatings with life span of a year)

Cool Hardness of paint (so soft that it marks on final waxing of car / glass hard that nothing marks the paint)

9) When car was detailed were ALL the defect properly removed ( full correction with solvent wipe down after to establish it was FULL correction / non wipe down leaving fillers from compounds and then filled even more with glazes and waxes (make up for cars), one will last a lot longer than the other)

10) Is the car maintained with top up products (hence keeping and protecting the appearances for longer?) if see number 5 who does this

As you can see there is never going to be a single answer. Just too many variables involved.

HTH Kelly

The above was from a detailing site - take your pick Big Cry 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #449688 Sun Jan 25 2015 9:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FatJoe

Good points you make, I'm sure the variables could go on forever. I'm trying to find out an average based on the car being used daily for work etc, regular valet by a propper valeter taking care using high quality washing equipment in general.

I saw some answers on the internet saying just 4 months so to spend £450 for it to last 4 months before swirl marks are back sounds crazy to me. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449693 Sun Jan 25 2015 9:42am
PEACHY

England 

Agree - if you told be £450 for 4 months - I wouldn't bother - my black RRS was detailed in April 13 - sold June 14 not a swirl on it - it was kept on my drive - washed weekly - used on average every other day - now to me that was £500 well spent. It did cost a few quid for the relevant products to keep it that way but more a labour of love than a chore Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.

Post #449694 Sun Jan 25 2015 9:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FatJoe

Thats sounds positive peachy. I am hoping my black one once / if detailed will last at least 12 months based on fortnightly maintenance by a proppery mobile valeter. I would maintain myself however I have no idea on what products I should use and how to avoid getting swirl marks again? I'm using a propper valeter because I presume they know how to avoid this. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449695 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:01am
PEACHY

England 

Be advised by the detailer - products - schedules - etc. If I'm honest I think they miss a trick - those that are sponsored by the product suppliers - should be offering a complete care package ( bagged ) that keeps up the good work - this could be accompanied with a quick how to guide - sold at a discounted price to the customer - again any replacements should then be sourced from the detailer - keeping the customer & any future business Thumbs Up

Maybe I'm just thinking too much Rolling Eyes

Did you get in touch with MCC ??? 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #449697 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:14am
FatJoe

Thats cause you've got your business head on Smile

Yeah spoke to them but it wasn't Russ. I tried calling for ages again and they called back. I forget the guys name but basically he said it will take a day and a half, and with Gtechniq final coat it would be £430. To be honest I thought it would take a biter longer than that? Day and half sounds quick. Said it would remove 90% of marks. For full on correction he said would take a week but forget the number he mentioned however he advised against it as he said you'd struggle to see marks after basic one with human eye I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449698 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:21am
PEACHY

England 

I've had 2 Sports done now - if I'm honest I just dropped off the Sport handed over the keys & went on my merry way - leaving contact details & knowing what I'm gonna pay. What should be happening is - I should be a little more demanding - talking the Process - walking the Process & getting a picture of what I'm actually gonna get for my money - including what's expected going forward ? £430 for 1 & 1/2 days work is not what I would call value for money but a 12 hour day followed by a 6 hour day - with expensive equipment & quality products soon make the figure plausible Rolling Eyes 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #449700 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:31am
FatJoe

Yeah thats what I thought. When he said £430 for just over a days work I thought to myself 'Im in the wrong game here'. But I supose your paying for their experience, expertise etc etc. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449703 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:39am
FatJoe

3 votes for 3 months+? That don't sound good Sad I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449715 Sun Jan 25 2015 12:10pm
azz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

You've also got to remember MCC could have two or three people working on the car so a day and a half is plausible. I'm sure I read on their Facebook page how many actual man hours it takes and for the money it seem's very reasonable.

If you use an 'experienced' valeter have you not asked his advise? Surely if he is experienced could he not spend a couple of days on the car and achieve similar results? 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate
Mods - 21" Style 101 Alloys / Sidesteps / De-badged Rear / LED Lighting / Autobiography Grill & Vents / Remote FBH w/GPS

Post #449731 Sun Jan 25 2015 3:26pm
FatJoe

Well yes the valeter I used also does detailing at a cheaper cost, £200 I think however I've been told Russ at Mids Car Care is the best in the area so thought for such an expensive job best get it done right first time.

Also I have been looking into snow foaming etc and I might actually start and maintain the car myself instead after detailing. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449770 Sun Jan 25 2015 7:40pm
FatJoe

75% voting for 3 Months + Sad I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449782 Sun Jan 25 2015 9:33pm
FatJoe

Mines all booked in for detailing using Gtechniq final finish. Looking forward to see the results. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449979 Tue Jan 27 2015 6:50pm
azz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Hi Joe

I noticed a work in progress shot on MCC's Facebook the other day. How's it coming on, have you got it back yet? 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - Bali Blue / Ivory Leather / Extended Leather / TV / Rear Entertainment / Privacy Glass / Timed Climate
Mods - 21" Style 101 Alloys / Sidesteps / De-badged Rear / LED Lighting / Autobiography Grill & Vents / Remote FBH w/GPS

Post #451463 Thu Feb 05 2015 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>