Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Powder Coating Alloy Wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey
Powder Coating Alloy Wheels

Good afternoon all,
I popped into Bucks Powder Coating yesterday after spotting them driving on my way to a meeting, I had a chat with Andy the owner and he ran me through the processes that they do. The finished product looked superb, does anyone have any experience of powder coating their alloys and if so was it a good thing to do?

Here is a link to their website - http://www.buckspowdercoating.co.uk/gallery/

He quoted £45.00 per wheel for 19"s..

Post #452999 Thu Feb 19 2015 1:15pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Had my 2010 sport wheels done looked fantastic and still looked the same nearly 2 years later when i changed cars I paid about £60 a wheel well worth it . 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #453001 Thu Feb 19 2015 1:43pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I had some done at Lepsons in Gillingham, they seem to be more high end and can do some amazing work.

Admittedly it was a gloss black refurb I had done on my RX8 R3 but they are faultless, they even have a courtesy car. Whilst I was in there they received countless Bentley, Lambo and Audi's etc to take care of.

Might be a trek and they might be more expensive but I can vouch for their work...

Pics below:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #453018 Thu Feb 19 2015 5:44pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I shied away from having mine powder-coated because someone told me that if the wheel gets a chip, moisture will get underneath & start to lift the coating. Mine are painted from the factory anyway & the theory is that if I get a chip it's easier (& usually cheaper) to have the wheel re-painted.

Having said that, lots of others have said how good & tough a powder-coated wheel is, & that it shouldn't get a stone chip anyway.

I must admit that powder-coating does look good & dirt doesn't seem to stick to it the same.

At £45 per wheel, I'd be very tempted to have them done, that's a really good price. Just mind the kerbs Exclamation I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #453023 Thu Feb 19 2015 6:04pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

I was told by a wheel fefurb company by me that powder coating wheels is the cheaper and easier option for the company as it hides a poorly prepped wheel. Also if you kurb or chip them eventually the powder coat will come away in chunks. Thats why its only £45 per wheel.

If you have them done properly, they should be prepped really well by hand whcih will take a couple of days for a full set. Them they are sprayed, then baked, then polished and something else happens after that.

Powder coating is the cheapest easiest way (for the refurber) to get a nice finish. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #453210 Fri Feb 20 2015 10:44pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Heres some good info on it:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257818 I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #453214 Fri Feb 20 2015 10:49pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

FatJoe wrote:
If you have them done properly, they should be prepped really well by hand whcih will take a couple of days for a full set. Them they are sprayed, then baked, then polished and something else happens after that.

Agreed, this is what Lepsons told me and I had done, they've lasted 6 months now - a small chip from a pothole on one wheel which is an annoyance but it would have kerbed any wheel anyway.

Post #453640 Tue Feb 24 2015 9:56am
peterk

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

I have just had my wheels refurbished after noticing that the paint and laquer was coming off my wheels.
after chatting to a wheel refurbisher I went for powder coating. Each wheel had the tyres removed and the wheels were checked for alignment and cracks, any faults found were corrected before the wheels were prepped prior to the coating.
I went for the "shadow crome" finish and very happy with the finished result.It cost £80 a corner and it took 4 days before I got the wheels back.
I have taken some photo's but I don't know how to attach them Embarassed Regards,
Pete
Keeping the shiny side up!

Post #465908 Sat Jun 27 2015 8:37pm
Jeeeppy

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I have all my wheels powder coated on evo's, jeep,merc and range sport Matt & gloss. if done properly can't beat it! just make sure back of wheels that contacts the hubs is completely free of powder coating as can cause wheel to loosen!

Post #465910 Sat Jun 27 2015 9:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1