RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > Tips for cleaning in freezing weather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red
Tips for cleaning in freezing weather

Will have had my RRS for a week this weekend and really want to give her a good clean (she needs it too with all the salt spray and dirt she's picked up). Weather forecast is for freezing temps though so getting the hose out possibly isn't the best idea in the world.

So do you guys have any advice or tips on how to clean a car in this weather? Any good products (have to be available at Halfords for obvious reasons) that can maybe be used as a substitute for buckets of water / hosepipe...

Normally in this weather I would have just left my previous car to get dirty... but I'd rather not do that with my new girl Embarassed

Post #451590 Fri Feb 06 2015 4:11pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i got to the local, DIY jet wash

pop my £1 jet the car down with the hot water and then bucket wash with my buckets filled with nice warm car shampoo

another £1 and rinse

Post #451596 Fri Feb 06 2015 4:52pm
PEACHY

England 

^^^^^ TOP TIP Bow down ^^^^^^^ 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #451600 Fri Feb 06 2015 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Local eastern European hand car wash, drive home and dry off with Autoglym Aqua wax.
Comes up a treat.

Post #451601 Fri Feb 06 2015 5:33pm
PEACHY

England 

^^^^^ Shocked I'm afraid I draw the line at using anybody else except myself - even the dealers don't get to wash my RRS Wink 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.

Post #451602 Fri Feb 06 2015 5:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hugh Haddow

I hole heartedly agree Peachy. I don't let the dealer wash mine either. But in the winter I feel it better to get the 'dirt and salt' changed regularly and finish my self.
In the better weather I enjoy doing it all. I just got too old to suffer the cold.

Post #451603 Fri Feb 06 2015 5:46pm
ABSport

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I never let dealers or the eastern Europeans wash mine. They quickly jet wash the car and with one dunk in soapy water wash the entire car Shocked talk about scratch city.

Post #451606 Fri Feb 06 2015 6:03pm
Nowaytk

England 

All depends on where you go, when it's cold I'll take mine to a place where they do it properly, ie; start with a snow foam, rinse, wash with two bucket method, rinse, micro fibre towel dry and air hose to all the nooks and crannies then Finish off with a clean of all the glass, and all for a tenner Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #451608 Fri Feb 06 2015 6:36pm
zaphod

No way I'm taking my car to one of those places, getting the paintwork scratched would be the least of my worries Laughing

My local Shell station has a jetwash... not sure if it's hot water though... never used it. Might be time to find out Smile

Anyone tried this stuff (or similar stuff) http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-...rless-wash? Might be an option too... I've got tonnes of micro-fibre cloths to use with it?

Edit: nowaytk - sounds like you've struck it lucky finding a place like that Thumbs Up

Post #451610 Fri Feb 06 2015 6:43pm
PEACHY

England 

Zaphod - use the lance but do not repeat do not use there brushes Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #451612 Fri Feb 06 2015 6:50pm
Hugh Haddow

Now I'm totally scared. I'll just let the rain clean it. Or is it acid rain so can't leave it? Well I'll just wait till the salt corrodes it. How long will that take? Should be a while, probably longer than my remaining life. Still I'll wash it during the summer. If we get a summer. Well - bow locks - it still looks great. So I'll just drive it. In fasct I'm of for a drive now.

Post #451627 Fri Feb 06 2015 8:27pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Ive just had mine detailed at a cost of £450 to remove the swirls the local polish boys put on with there 1 dip wash mitt!

My advice is do it yourself or look for a reputable mobile valeter who does the snow foam option, 2 buckets with grit guards, special brushes for wheels etc etc.

PEACHY above is your man for the washing car info. Based on his advice and the detailers advice I've just spent £150 on products that will stop me getting swirl marks in my paintwork when washing. Well worth the couple of hours every couple of weeks to keep the car paintwork looking mint. If you don't you'll regret it when the sun shines on your paint Smile

Step 1: Snow foam - 10-20 minutes (clean wheels whilst it does its magic)
Step 2: carefully rinse snow foam
Step 3: 2 wash buckets with grit guard. One clean water one soapy water. Use wool mitt (car pro mit) to lightly wash, dip dirty mitt in water bucket then reload with soap in other bucket.
Step 4: rinse soap off carefully
Step 5: dry with large microfibre cloth
Step 6: quick detailer spray and buffing cloth to get the shine

All done Smile I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #451628 Fri Feb 06 2015 8:37pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Nowaytk wrote:
All depends on where you go, when it's cold I'll take mine to a place where they do it properly, ie; start with a snow foam, rinse, wash with two bucket method, rinse, micro fibre towel dry and air hose to all the nooks and crannies then Finish off with a clean of all the glass, and all for a tenner Very Happy

Yep ... all this for £10 and an additional £7 if you want the interior done as well. Excellent value for money, especially considering the time they spend on each car. They have a small detailing studio as well but never used those services. They get some very nice cars and sometimes an RRS is the "lower end" car in the queue Laughing I haven't been to any other car wash since I discovered this place a few years ago. Can't recommend highly enough Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #451633 Fri Feb 06 2015 9:44pm
zaphod

fatjoe - I'll definitely only be cleaning it myself and when the weather improves I'll be giving the 2 bucket method (with grit guards) a go for sure. I must confess this is something I knew nothing about until I joined this forum so I'm guilty of many, many years of paintwork abuse! Embarassed

This weekend is forecast to be sub-zero though and I just didn't want to turn my drive into an ice-rink Wink

Post #451647 Fri Feb 06 2015 11:50pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Your exactly the same as me. I knew naff all until this week I was talking to PEACHY. He gave me the low down. He also had his car detailed at the same place which is costly but worth it to get the paintwork back in tip top!

I got all my gear from Elite Car Care. I got mostly Gtechniq was products. Heres my list:

Car Pro Mit (Swirl Free Wool)
2 X Large Microfibre Drying Towels
1 X Dodo Buffing Microfibre Cloth
1 X Smear Free Glass Cloth
Gtechniq Foam Wash
Gtechniq Soap Wash
Getchniq Window Cleaner
Gtechniq Quick Detailer
Gtechniq Tyre Shine
Tye Foam Applicator
2 Buckets with 2 Grit Guards

I think this came to £140ish delivered next day.

All this should last a good while apart from the foam wash which I will experiment with different ones. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #451649 Fri Feb 06 2015 11:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>