RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Which to go for 2.7,3.6 or 4.2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Nimbus

United Kingdom 
Which to go for 2.7,3.6 or 4.2

I'm looking at buying a Sport, I've had 2 FFRRs in the past- a TD6 and a 4.4 Vogue but sold my last one due to getting a job that came with a car, I'm changing jobs soon and the new one doesn't come with a car so have decided to go for a Sport this time.
Budget is £16k and I'd like to get one in either Grey,Silver or Blue in HSE spec.

I do about 9000 Miles per Year and can't pick which to get, My plan is to only keep it for a Year or so and upgrade to a 2010/2011 TDV6 3.0 so ideally I want one that will hold its value the best.
Also my main other concern is reliability more so than MPG within reason,I've read quite a few horror stories of TDV8s turbos self destructing and leaving owners with huge bills, how common is this?.
I've driven a TDV6 and didn't think it was too bad at all, certainly felt more nippy than my TD6 Vogue did!. In honesty I would probably go for a remap if I went for one, overall are they pretty reliable as long as you keep an eye out for the camber service being done?.

Lastly there's the Supercharged, for the same or less money you can get one with far fewer miles, 40-60k instead of 60-90k.
Are the engines less prone to going wrong than the diesels?, plus they come really well specced.
The only downside is fuel, what are they truly like around town?, is 15 MPG realistic?, I've had a couple of thirsty cars in the past-SL55, M3 so along those lines?. My head says go for a diesel but on the other side I could well be better off spending the extra £1k-£1.5k on fuel rather than the chance of the engine going wrong and costing far more.
Plus they're cheaper to buy too.
Any help and advice appreciated.

Post #450753 Sun Feb 01 2015 4:57pm
Somerset Bumpkin

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

I think the consensus is, is that the petrol is the best engine by a long way. The main problem being an approx. 250m range from a tank compared to around 400m.

Sounds like you've made up your mind already though!

Post #450757 Sun Feb 01 2015 5:19pm
B9BS X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Supercharged all the way mate but youll be luck to get anywere near 15 mpg Rolling with laughter RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,
BLACK CODE RE-MAPPED, AUTOBIOGRAPHY'D, NEW EXIDE BATTERY, NEW DENSO ALTERNATOR

Post #450759 Sun Feb 01 2015 5:23pm
PEACHY

England 

Supercharged owner for over 3 years - 14 MPG at best - 9000 miles on a motorway - Petrol all the way Thumbs Up 9000 miles around town - I'm afraid I'd put up with the diesel for 12 months with a decent warranty Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #450766 Sun Feb 01 2015 5:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ian-r

Test drive a supercharged, that will make you mind up! Thumbs Up

If I set cruise control the trip will show 18 - 20 mpg at a steady 70mph. Combined driving is around 14 - 15 mpg, with a heavy right foot sub 10. But, you will have a big smile Laughing

Post #450768 Sun Feb 01 2015 6:01pm
B9BS X

A very big smile Mr. Green RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,
BLACK CODE RE-MAPPED, AUTOBIOGRAPHY'D, NEW EXIDE BATTERY, NEW DENSO ALTERNATOR

Post #450769 Sun Feb 01 2015 6:10pm
Nimbus

United Kingdom 

I do a mix of driving, a lot just outside of London so not all sitting in traffic, and a bit on motorways.Worse than 15 MPG in normal driving is pretty horrific!!. Saying that it's all my SL55 would do on similar runs.
I've sort of ruled out a TDV8 as I've heard too much about them going wrong, which is a shame because it looks to be the best engine, so will go for either a TDV6 or Supercharged.

So the petrol engine is pretty reliable providing it's not LPG converted?.

Post #450782 Sun Feb 01 2015 7:03pm
Michael7s

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

between tdv6 and SC, 2,7 diesel is just not enough for such a heavy car. I'm affraid tdv6 is just slow.

Post #450797 Sun Feb 01 2015 8:10pm
V8SC

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Supercharged Thumbs Up

...I've just completed a near on 600 mile round trip A34/M40/M42/M6 - Bolton / returning via M1/M25/M3 kept it around the 70mph mark and averaged 19.7mpg overall.

...I find a week of around town driving gives about 14mpg. I also do about 9000 miles annually. Carl

Post #450837 Sun Feb 01 2015 11:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Michael7s wrote:
between tdv6 and SC, 2,7 diesel is just not enough for such a heavy car. I'm affraid tdv6 is just slow.

It can be made faster. Whistle Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #450868 Mon Feb 02 2015 11:08am
Nimbus

United Kingdom 

I've driven a TDV6 one before and didn't think it was that slow, if I got one I think I'd take it to JE Engineering for a remap though.
I'm still really tempted by the TDV8 but the horror stories of engines going wrong put me off, perhaps the answer is like someone else above said, make sure it's got a decent warranty.
Then there's a Supercharged within budget with 34k Miles on the clock which is so tempting!.

One last question I had, is privacy glass usually standard on 05-08 Sports or are the really dark tints film, and the lighter smoked glass the factory fit?.

Post #450906 Mon Feb 02 2015 5:05pm
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

I've owned both the TDV6 and the TDV8 and can categorically say that even with the potential pitfalls of the V8 I would have one over the V6 any day of the week and if you drive one it will make the smaller engine feel terribly slow.

But I suppose it depends on what sort of driver you are, if you tootle about like a Sunday driver the TDV6 will be fine, but for anything else, the TDV8 just makes so much more sense. I also achieved better mpg out of the TDV8, not much, but definitely more.

Post #450915 Mon Feb 02 2015 6:32pm
Nimbus

United Kingdom 

I don't drive slowly but I'm not always zooming around either, I've sort of gone off quick cars now, sticking to 2 wheels for going fast and having fun.
The TD6 in the FFRR I had was too slow though.

Post #450925 Mon Feb 02 2015 7:28pm
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

I'm more than happy with my TDV8. 9,000 miles in 10 months and drives beautifully. Averaging about 25 mpg overall, mixed driving. I sleep better having an LR Warranty.

Post #450930 Mon Feb 02 2015 7:39pm
Nimbus

United Kingdom 

In honesty a TDV8 would be my first choice if I could get one with a decent warranty, but with a £16k budget I'm not going to be able to source an LR approved used!.
If I could get one from a garage that supplied a good warranty I would go for one, the other thing is a lot of all variants seem to have been modified- to each their own with that, just 22 inch wheels, chrome and blacked out windows don't really appeal to me, I must be getting old!.

Post #450936 Mon Feb 02 2015 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>