RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

caz wrote:
Well my long hair hangs down quite a bit!! Smile How are you managing on a morning, get a torch and dress under the duvet, save banging your bits Shmoogle!!

I've actually convinced the Mrs to stop having the blackout blinds down over the bedroom windows now that the mornings aren't likely to provide bright sunshine streaming in through the curtains. It means I'll get a few days of unbanged bits in the morning before it gets too dark... then I'll have to get a job where I don't need to wake up at silly o'clock to go to work. Or preferably win the lottery.... Wink

How you lot in the frozen wastes put up with 24hr darkness in the winter I'll never know... 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #58283 Wed Sep 27 2006 9:57pm
caz

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

To be honest we haven't got a lot of options! No wonder everyone suffers from SAD from lack of sunlight.

I hear the lottery is a sore subject Shmoogle..............just think of what could have been.....silly me I bet you do most mornings when your banging your bits!!

Post #58287 Wed Sep 27 2006 10:02pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It was a long time ago, Caz... and if you can't make light of it you'd only have to slit your wrists Wink

Right... off to bed for me, I have to do some actual w**k tomorrow which is obviously going to take it's toll. Night, Caz!! Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #58292 Wed Sep 27 2006 10:11pm
caz

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Night night Shmoogle, sleep well! Wink

Post #58294 Wed Sep 27 2006 10:14pm
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 

Interesting to hear what TC and LRT have to say. I am fairly confident that the SC will not be dropped. The 2007 version has variable cam timing and should be marginally more economical, and one of the grapevines has suggested a further develpment of the SC theme on a more distant horizon.

LRT is right about the challenge of the torque limiting features, and just so that you know, all three of the following monitor the torque and can ask the throttle to be closed a bit : (a) the engine itself in two ways, Crying or Very sad (b) the main transmission ECU, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad (c) the E-diff ECU. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Now my SC car does not have an E-diff, but it is an optinal extra. These limiters have different effects on the torque curve in all the different gears, so a rolling road test is not a very useful way to measure the power output whether standard or modified. Mad

LRT's interpretation of this does not agree with our experience, but it is not far off. To say much more would be giving away commercialy valuable secrets, I'm afraid. Sad

We are just assembling a 5.1 litre SC engine to run on a dyno, using a non-LR ECU and larger intercooler assemblies. Cool We're probably about a month away from getting some results (probably a large heap of engine parts in the dyno cell Rolling Eyes ), but even if we get great results, a lot of it will be lost to the transmission and engine ECU torque limitations in the car. There are other applications for this excellent engine, however . . . . . Twisted Evil

Post #58731 Fri Sep 29 2006 4:05pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

JE,

I now have a solution for Denso ecu which will may save you a lot of 'heartache' with engine management alterations.

PM me

Regards

Chris

Post #58987 Sat Sep 30 2006 6:03am
Bobs_buggy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

JE Engineering wrote:
The 2007 version has variable cam timing and should be marginally more economical:

HOORAY!!!!!!

Any improvement in MPG will be a bonus. I'm currently spending £500 per month on petrol. By the way, where did you hear about VVT? I haven't heard it mentioned in any of the LR press releases.

Thanks.

Bob. RRS 4.2 S/C. Zermatt. Tints. Stormers. 150+ paint defects, wonkey bonnet, scratches, detached doorseal. suspension faults. To sum it up, a �60k pile of cr4p!

Post #59929 Tue Oct 03 2006 8:26pm
BBlackRRS

JE, are you saying that the 2007 Supercharged will have variable cam timing? Do you know if the 1st batch of 2007's will have this feature? Any idea when they will be out? Thanks in advance.

Post #59984 Wed Oct 04 2006 3:52am
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 

Sorry to say we must have been misled on this. Embarassed There is no mention of it yet in anything official, but one grapevine was absolutely certain about it a few months ago, maybe it will come along soon, or maybe the usual big-company arthritis has set in and they are leaving it another year.

As engineers Rolling Eyes with considerable supercharging experience, JE would question the need for VVT because you cannot run a S/C engine with much valve overlap (especially a twin cam, where the valves are opposite each other) because the S/C can blow unburnt fuel and air straight across into the exhaust valves and thence onto the cats which promptly overheat due to all the combustion which then takes place Shocked . You cannot run any real overlap at all, so VVT would be quite restricted, but maybe still worth it in some small way, or maybe the plan is to vary both cams together, without altering the overlap. That could be done witha single VVT drive device on the crank pulley Idea , rather than anything up in the cylinder heads. This could get to be a very long and technical treatise, so I am going to stop now. Sad

Post #59991 Wed Oct 04 2006 7:13am
Bobs_buggy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Booooo............
Back to the petrol pumps, then! RRS 4.2 S/C. Zermatt. Tints. Stormers. 150+ paint defects, wonkey bonnet, scratches, detached doorseal. suspension faults. To sum it up, a �60k pile of cr4p!

Post #60143 Wed Oct 04 2006 4:42pm
tf9

Russia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

JE Engineering wrote:
Interesting to hear what TC and LRT have to say. I am fairly confident that the SC will not be dropped. The 2007 version has variable cam timing and should be marginally more economical, and one of the grapevines has suggested a further develpment of the SC theme on a more distant horizon.

LRT is right about the challenge of the torque limiting features, and just so that you know, all three of the following monitor the torque and can ask the throttle to be closed a bit : (a) the engine itself in two ways, Crying or Very sad (b) the main transmission ECU, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad (c) the E-diff ECU. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Now my SC car does not have an E-diff, but it is an optinal extra. These limiters have different effects on the torque curve in all the different gears, so a rolling road test is not a very useful way to measure the power output whether standard or modified. Mad

LRT's interpretation of this does not agree with our experience, but it is not far off. To say much more would be giving away commercialy valuable secrets, I'm afraid. Sad

We are just assembling a 5.1 litre SC engine to run on a dyno, using a non-LR ECU and larger intercooler assemblies. Cool We're probably about a month away from getting some results (probably a large heap of engine parts in the dyno cell Rolling Eyes ), but even if we get great results, a lot of it will be lost to the transmission and engine ECU torque limitations in the car. There are other applications for this excellent engine, however . . . . . Twisted Evil

I'm not sure if LR has the same thing... but...
My friend is upgdaring his new M5 e60. And he was able to order and install ECU program for Mexican market (Euro2 cats-free) and compared to European ECU (Euro4) the power and accelerations have been increased.
Currently I do have freeflow (not sure about translation) cats and removed stoichiometric air to fuel ratio oxygen sensors but it is all almost useless this standart ECU. 2014 Mercedes-Benz S500
2014 Range Rover Autobiography, Causeway Gray, Ivory/Ebony
2013 BMW 530d
2008 Range Rover Supercharged Vogue S\E, Java Black, Ebony. SOLD
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Java Black, Ebony. Arden body-kit. SOLD
2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Buckingam blue, Ivory. - SOLD.

Post #60146 Wed Oct 04 2006 5:15pm
Berliner

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

shmoogle wrote:
I expect it's true that the TDV8 will impact SC sales more than TDV6 sales, but to bin it completely? There will always be people who lust after a petrol V8, let alone supercharged... Confused

Yes I agree... Demand will always be there for the V8......Do you really think that VIP'S, footballers or multimillonaires give a damn about fuel prices.... They just tank up and offset it from their personal turnover...

Post #60344 Thu Oct 05 2006 9:51am
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 

I was just looking up on the technical website for something about valve sizes and noticed that in 2007 MY 4.2 SC manual it says "In certain markets some engines are fitted with VVT (Variable Valve Timing)", so the JE grapevine was at least partially working Wink . I cannot find any mention of it in brochures or the main LR website, but I would guess that UK and Europe would be the first markets.

Elsewhere it says that the VVT helps power by optimising valve timing at high rpm, economy by improving low speed torque, and also emissions by assisiting EGR, or something like that.

As I said in a previous post, the benefits of VVT on a SC engine are more limited than on a NA engine, but there must be some benefits !

Post #69087 Tue Dec 05 2006 10:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12