RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > RRS security issues with keyless go.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

dragon007

United Kingdom 
RRS security issues with keyless go.

Hi Chaps and Chapesses

It's probably been asked before, but with the recent bad press about the number of RRS (and Evoques) being
stolen in London (admittedly from Kensington) is it worth buying one? It's for my gf to drive to work now that she's pregnant (she's got a SLK at the moment) - so I don't want to see it get lifted and her having to get the bus!

I'm on the cusp of buying one (went for a test drive at the weekend) but the only thing that's stopping me, is the chance that it may get pinched in London.

I have off-street parking, but that's hardly going to deter anyone as it's literally off street where my front garden would be.

What's the best security add-on to get? I've heard various forums talking about thatcham 5 and 6 (with 5 being higher security), and with something called ADR? What are your experiences? Someone near us has an overfinch version and he seems to just use a steering wheel lock. Chap at the showroom mentioned an add on chip to the key? Not sure what this is referring to, and can't find anything online.

Is a RRS more likely to get nicked that a Mercedes ML (which is my other option)?

Possibly stupid questions....but thanks in advance for any answers.
p.s. I'm going to go for HSE Dynamic (other bits and pieces have yet to be decided).

thanks

Post #449230 Wed Jan 21 2015 1:37pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Yes a lot have been stolen but they are a minority compared to the amount that are out there . A disc lock seems to be a good idea . As far as an ml is concerned --- no contest ! Very Happy

Post #449240 Wed Jan 21 2015 2:44pm
sally

United Kingdom 

Merc ML Whistle

I havent done much research on aftermarket security yet. Not even sure if the SRV will have a tracker yet, dealer doesnt seem to have much info.

I did hear, not sure how true it is, but 9 out of 10 insurance companies were not insuring RR's in the London area due to the thefts. Maybe something to consider?

There was a guy on here selling some sort of 'wire in' module that made it impossible to scan the security settings. Maybe search 'security' and see what comes up, if not, im sure someone else will have some sound advice.

Good luck 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #449242 Wed Jan 21 2015 3:02pm
Salmon&permit

England 

Not really a minority.....by all accounts, about 1 in 5 of the new RRS and Evoques that had been sold and delivered to Central London addresses during 2013 were nicked in the first 6 months of 2014.....about 300 out of about 1,500.

That said, several electronic updates and a Thatcham Cat 5 system makes it harder for them. If I had your sort of off street parking, I would also spend £500 to £1,000 getting a security post installed behind where the car is parked.....that would give you peace of mind.

Speaking from some experience and research.....I had mine knicked in August last year from my own off street parking in Central London. Didn't stop me getting another.....but now has Cat 5 system and steering wheel lock. FYI, cat 5 doesn't make it any more difficult to steal......it just seems to give you a better chance of getting it back if it is stolen.....or at least that is what the insurance companies seem to think.

Post #449243 Wed Jan 21 2015 3:08pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

The latest security update from LR will stop the recent spate of thieves who break in and then code their own keys.
It has stopped access to certain parts of the system. For example if they used a frequency jammer to stop you locking the car, then they would open it later and use the above process. The LR security update will stop that.

there are other additional security alarms you can get that will further reduce the chance of theft. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #449254 Wed Jan 21 2015 4:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andi

United Kingdom 

To be honest, if you live in London, stay away and save the hassle.

Post #449256 Wed Jan 21 2015 4:29pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

Salmon&permit wrote:
Not really a minority.....by all accounts, about 1 in 5 of the new RRS and Evoques that had been sold and delivered to Central London addresses during 2013 were nicked in the first 6 months of 2014.....about 300 out of about 1,500.

That said, several electronic updates and a Thatcham Cat 5 system makes it harder for them. If I had your sort of off street parking, I would also spend £500 to £1,000 getting a security post installed behind where the car is parked.....that would give you peace of mind.

Speaking from some experience and research.....I had mine knicked in August last year from my own off street parking in Central London. Didn't stop me getting another.....but now has Cat 5 system and steering wheel lock. FYI, cat 5 doesn't make it any more difficult to steal......it just seems to give you a better chance of getting it back if it is stolen.....or at least that is what the insurance companies seem to think.

Thanks for info. Which Cat 5 system did you get and who installed?
Agree cat 5 is still reactive - but hopefully will allow someone to track the Censored .
Good point on the security post - will have to talk to the landlord...

Post #449263 Wed Jan 21 2015 5:05pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

Andi wrote:
To be honest, if you live in London, stay away and save the hassle.

hmmm, yes agree, it's the hassle factor rather than the cost.......

Post #449264 Wed Jan 21 2015 5:08pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:
The latest security update from LR will stop the recent spate of thieves who break in and then code their own keys.
It has stopped access to certain parts of the system. For example if they used a frequency jammer to stop you locking the car, then they would open it later and use the above process. The LR security update will stop that.

there are other additional security alarms you can get that will further reduce the chance of theft.

That's good to know thanks. I read on a recent post that the latest RRS now doesn't expose the OBD port (or possibly the poster got it wrong).....

Post #449265 Wed Jan 21 2015 5:10pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

362bkr wrote:
Yes a lot have been stolen but they are a minority compared to the amount that are out there . A disc lock seems to be a good idea . As far as an ml is concerned --- no contest ! Very Happy

Agree on the ML - ha

Post #449266 Wed Jan 21 2015 5:13pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

sally wrote:
Merc ML Whistle

I havent done much research on aftermarket security yet. Not even sure if the SRV will have a tracker yet, dealer doesnt seem to have much info.

I did hear, not sure how true it is, but 9 out of 10 insurance companies were not insuring RR's in the London area due to the thefts. Maybe something to consider?

There was a guy on here selling some sort of 'wire in' module that made it impossible to scan the security settings. Maybe search 'security' and see what comes up, if not, im sure someone else will have some sound advice.

Good luck

thanks for the info.
Yes I'd read the 9/10 of issue with the insurance companies. Using a Cat 5 kit seems to give them the warm and fuzzies though.
Out of interest, what has the wait time for yours been? A few months?

Spoke to the dealer last weekend and they said that it would likely be ready by May - although this may be salesman speak for anytime after May.....

Post #449268 Wed Jan 21 2015 5:19pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Extra Security

You could try one of these options...........

2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #449375 Thu Jan 22 2015 1:44pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Buying a crap colour should reduce the risk of theft. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #449379 Thu Jan 22 2015 1:58pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

Good point

Post #449380 Thu Jan 22 2015 2:02pm
sally

United Kingdom 

dragon007 wrote:
sally wrote:
Merc ML Whistle

Good luck

thanks for the info.
Yes I'd read the 9/10 of issue with the insurance companies. Using a Cat 5 kit seems to give them the warm and fuzzies though.
Out of interest, what has the wait time for yours been? A few months?

Spoke to the dealer last weekend and they said that it would likely be ready by May - although this may be salesman speak for anytime after May.....

I waited 6 months for the Sport (april 2014) which arrived a few months earlier than expected because the Russians didnt use all of their deliver slots i got bumped up the list.

The SVR was ordered Sept and is due the end of March. I think my dealer had more orders than build slots so the delivery is prehaps slower than most.

Im glad the Cat 5 seems to give you more insurance options. Whatsd your parking situation? Road/Drive? 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #449818 Mon Jan 26 2015 3:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>