RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > DMS engine remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

mikef

United Kingdom 
DMS engine remap

Last week I had my HSE SDV6 remapped by DMS of Southampton http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.php. I have used DMS a few times in the past on previous cars of various types and they've always done an excellent job although they aren't cheap. On the SDV6, they promise a power increase from 295hp to 328hp and more importantly, a torque increase from 443 lbft to 546 lbft, both of which are entirely believable after having driven the car in a variety of conditions over the last few days. It is now genuinely brisk and I'm rather wishing I'd paid the extra cost for the Dynamic model! I was hoping that the remap would eradicate the sluggish throttle response that I and many have complained about and the remap goes some way to doing that because there is a fair bit more torque at low rpm, according to the installer. The throttle response is quicker but there is still a small delay before any meaningful action when pressing the throttle. I drove my wife's BMW X3 2.0d over the weekend and the throttle response in that is still way better than the RRS despite having a fairly weedy engine and the same ZF 8 speed gearbox. The DMS installer had an interesting slant on this; according to him, L-R have deliberately designed in this sluggish throttle response in order leave themselves room to improve it in the future in line with small engine upgrades so that any new model feels appreciably faster even if it isn't. Cynical, eh? One thing I am confidently expecting with the DMS remap is a modest improvement in fuel consumption which is often counter intuitive for many people. However, the increase in torque as a result of the remap allows the gearbox to hold on to a higher gear for longer and this leads to better fuel consumption (providing you don't mash the throttle every time to take advantage of the improved performance of course!). I can actually feel this during everyday driving. If past experience with my other cars is anything to go by, I should see a 5-7% fuel consumption improvement. Last point; DMS claim that their remap is not detectable by current L-R dealer diagnostic equipment so my warranty should be safe (although BMW and Porsche drivers should be aware that, according to my DMS installer, their diagnostic equipment can detect the remap).

Post #449060 Mon Jan 19 2015 11:47pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Interesting.

Did DMS have to remove the ECU in order to carry out the remap? 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #449076 Tue Jan 20 2015 10:25am
mikef

United Kingdom 

JasM, I didn't stand over the DMS installer whilst he did the work but AFAIK, the ECU is not removed and the remap is downloaded through the diagnostic port but it's worth speaking to DMS direct if you want to understand exactly what they do

Post #449079 Tue Jan 20 2015 10:30am
Beancounter_74

England 
Re: DMS engine remap

mikef wrote:
...... Last point; DMS claim that their remap is not detectable by current L-R dealer diagnostic equipment so my warranty should be safe (although BMW and Porsche drivers should be aware that, according to my DMS installer, their diagnostic equipment can detect the remap).

You just want to hope that your local LR dealers don't monitor threads like this and put 2+2 together in the hopefully miniscule event you need to claim for something..... Whistle

As Jasm asks, did they open the ECU, No point having in an undectecable map by a computer if the seals on the ECU are broken in the process Laughing ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #449081 Tue Jan 20 2015 10:34am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Quote:
The DMS installer had an interesting slant on this; according to him, L-R have deliberately designed in this sluggish throttle response in order leave themselves room to improve it in the future in line with small engine upgrades so that any new model feels appreciably faster even if it isn't.

I don't believe that statement for one second. L/R have tried to dial it out with several gearbox software upgrades because of so many complaints by their customers.

Your dealer will be able to tell your car has had a remap, just by taking it on a test drive. If you can tell the difference, they certainly will. Shocked

Post #449110 Tue Jan 20 2015 3:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Compelling case but I just don't want to take JLR on if anything ...but anything, goes wrong,

I'm feeling less confident, in respect of quality and future unknown issues with the L494 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #449122 Tue Jan 20 2015 6:59pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Ady 555 wrote:

Your dealer will be able to tell your car has had a remap, just by taking it on a test drive. If you can tell the difference, they certainly will

Well maybe but I've had 2 Beemers, a Merc, an Audi and a L322 FFRR remapped by DMS and I've never had any comment back from a dealer service dept and if anybody did comment, I would just say that's what high octane diesel does for you!

Post #449150 Tue Jan 20 2015 8:30pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

All very well until their snapshot of the transmission shows a 130Nm discrepancy between demanded torque and actual, assuming the increase is that much.

Post #449200 Wed Jan 21 2015 1:05am
Beancounter_74

England 

....I rest my case.....and DaveW should know Whistle ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #449201 Wed Jan 21 2015 4:12am
mikef

United Kingdom 

DaveW wrote:
All very well until their snapshot of the transmission shows a 130Nm discrepancy between demanded torque and actual, assuming the increase is that much.

DaveW can you explain that further?

Post #449216 Wed Jan 21 2015 10:57am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I'm sure he can Mike, but he will need full details of your vehicle first.... Pm Dave your vin number or reg number. Wink

Post #449221 Wed Jan 21 2015 12:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveW

United Kingdom 

No need for any vehicle details but basically if there was a mechanical issue with a trans for example, part of the interrogation would be to see how closely matched to each other the torque signals are between engine and trans.
Very easy indeed for us to see and obviously that level of increase would be somewhat outside of the production tolerances we'd expect to see.

Post #449229 Wed Jan 21 2015 1:26pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Live data can be viewed via diagnostics for demanded torque, and torque produced.

No idea if at the factory, more info can be viewed than what is available to dealers/aftermarket tools

Just hope there are no warranty claims Big Cry

Post #449234 Wed Jan 21 2015 2:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My IID Tool will tell me engine torque in the transmission live values section so it must be trivial for LR to check. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #449260 Wed Jan 21 2015 4:41pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Mine only reads a max of 440Nm. Would like to know what it's actually making Whistle

Post #449290 Wed Jan 21 2015 7:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>