RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Help, I'ts gone potty !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There are several. A couple of obvious ones on the wing in front of the battery. Another behind the A-pillar trim in the passenger's footwell (I believe that's the correct side). More below the filter airbox too I think (or may be below the spare battery box). Hopefully someone who has checked them all will be along soon to confirm locations. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #448872 Sun Jan 18 2015 7:41pm
Gornal Hills

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Hi folks, back again, its done exactly the same thing today again everything has gone potty. I took a reading with the bonnet open 12.4, started her up took a reading 10 mins later on tick over of 14.2, how does this sound ?? any ideas. Just to add I drove her 80 miles yesterday so she had a run Confused Confused 2007, HSE, Cairnes Blue, Factory tints, Love it !!!

Post #449699 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:31am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

That's sounding OK. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #449701 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:32am
Gornal Hills

thanks for that, have noticed a large plug behind the passenger rear wheel that looks very grubby, is it worth cleaning then a good dose of WD 40..., just trying Embarassed 2007, HSE, Cairnes Blue, Factory tints, Love it !!!

Post #449702 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:37am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

If it's bad, you could try by-passing the connector and see if it helps. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #449704 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:40am
Robbie

Location: Waiting for my old avatar to be allowed back... we miss her!

United Kingdom 

Definitely a CANBUS problem, either poor wiring (most common) or an individual module on the bus. Whilst there are CANBUS diagnostic techniques given how common wiring failures are in the wheel arch and the area leading to the EPB module I would start by a physical check in these areas, plus a check of the ECU for corrosion on the connections.

Thumbs Up Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

How To - Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Free Fault Code Reading For Established Members:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR

Post #449705 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:41am
Gornal Hills

Would WD40 help or is it going to affect readings and throw a spanner in the works ?? Thumbs Up 2007, HSE, Cairnes Blue, Factory tints, Love it !!!

Post #449706 Sun Jan 25 2015 11:48am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It might help from a moisture point of view but I wouldn't use it - Put it on once you've fixed the problem, as protection. You could use some electrical contact cleaner but you need to find the source of the problem.

If it were me, I'd be cutting off the plug and crimping on some connectors to bypass it. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #449707 Sun Jan 25 2015 12:02pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 

Before hacking into anything you could bride any suspect connector with a twisted pair of wires and suitable pins/backprobes. If the problem is intermittent then checking the resistance whilst gently manipulating the connections is a useful technique. If you can see physical damage then it is worth fixing properly as a matter of course as the bus wires are sensitive.

Post #449716 Sun Jan 25 2015 1:12pm
Gornal Hills

Thanks again, when you refer to the plug do you mean the one behind the rear wheel, (passenger) ?? if so are connectors good or soldered and shrink wrap ?? Thumbs Up 2007, HSE, Cairnes Blue, Factory tints, Love it !!!

Post #449717 Sun Jan 25 2015 1:16pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 

Some general info on the CANBUS if it is a while or perhaps the first time you have thought about it:

Two CAN busses are employed on the vehicle:

* Medium speed
* High speed

The medium speed bus connects the following control modules:

* Integrated Head Unit (IHU) or low line head unit
* Heating and ventilation control module
* Fuel burning heater
* Park distance control
* Tyre pressure monitoring control module
* Central junction box

The high speed bus connects the following control modules:

* Steering angle sensor
* Air suspension
* Electric park brake
* Electronic rear differential control module
* Terrain Response™
* Restraint control module
* Engine control module
* Transmission control module
* Adaptive front lighting system control module
* Antilock Braking System (ABS) control module

IDS Vehicle Integrity Test
Both the medium and high speed CAN bus are connected to the Instrument cluster and the diagnostic socket at one end. The Medium speed bus terminates at the Central Junction Box (CJB), while the high speed bus terminates at the ABS control module.

Control modules are connected in either a loop, CAN in/CAN out, or a spur configuration. Should a control module that is looped fail, that bus system will fail at that point. Should a spurred control module fail the rest of the bus system will be unaffected by the faulty control module.

If a control module is suspected of non-communication, the Network Integrity test application available on the manufacturer approved diagnostic system, can be used to confirm if communication is possible between the control modules on the vehicle and the manufacturer approved diagnostic system (via the J1962 diagnostic connector ). The results from the test can be used to determine if either a single module or multiple modules are failing to communicate.

CAN Terminating Modules

If the Network Integrity test indicates that one or more module on one of the CAN networks (HS or MS) are failing to communicate, there are several checks that can be made. The first step is to identify if both of the CAN terminating modules on each individual CAN Bus are communicating. If both CAN terminating modules for each individual CAN Bus are communicating (identified via the Network Integrity test), then it can be confirmed that the main 'backbone' of the CAN harness is complete. The main 'backbone' of the CAN harness consists of all the modules connected to the CAN harness via a 'loop' configuration and also includes the two terminating modules.

Communication with both CAN terminating modules via the Network Integrity test confirms the physical integrity of the main 'backbone' of the CAN harness (and the harness spur to the J1962 diagnostic connector). This means that there is no requirement to check the resistance of the CAN Network. This is because the standard check for 60 ohms across the CAN High and CAN Low lines will not provide any additional information regarding the physical condition of the CAN harness, beyond what has already been determined from the Network Integrity test.

Non-Communication of a Terminating Module

If a Network Integrity test reveals a terminating module is failing to communicate it can indicate a break in the main 'backbone' of the CAN harness. The first checks should always be to confirm the power and ground supplies to the non-communicating module are correct. Providing these are correct, the resistance between the CAN High and CAN Low lines at the J1962 connector can be checked to determine the integrity of the main 'backbone' of the CAN harness. After disconnecting the battery a reading of 120 ohms would indicate an open circuit in the main 'backbone' of the CAN harness. Alternatively, a reading of 60 ohms would indicate that there is no open circuit fault with the main 'backbone' of the CAN harness.

It is worth noting that even if one of the terminating modules is disconnected from the CAN harness, communications between the modules still connected may still be possible. Therefore communication between the manufacturer approved diagnostic system and the connected modules may also be possible.

Locating CAN Harness Open Circuits

In the case where multiple modules, including a terminating module, are failing to communicate, having first confirmed the power and ground supplies are correct, the approximate location of the open circuit can be identified from analysis of the Network Integrity test results and reference to the relevant CAN network circuit diagrams. For example, if an open circuit existed in a certain position on the CAN harness, any module positioned on the Network between the J1962 connector and the open circuit should return a response during the Network Integrity test. No responses would be returned from any modules past the open circuit fault in the Network.

CAN Harness 'Spur' Type Configuration Circuits

If, after the initial checks (Network Integrity test using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system, and power and ground supplies to the module have been checked and confirmed as correct), a module that is connected to the CAN harness via a 'spur' type configuration is suspected of not communicating, then the physical integrity of the CAN harness 'spur' can be checked.

This is most easily undertaken by individually checking the continuity of the CAN High and CAN Low lines between the non-communicating module connector (with the module disconnected) and the J1962 diagnostic connector.

'Lost Communications' DTCs

As well as the methods described so far in this document, which can be used to determine the location of an open circuit in the CAN harness, 'Lost Communications' DTCs can also be used for this purpose. Lost communication DTCs mean that a module is not receiving CAN information from another module.

For example, if a global DTC read were to be carried out, only DTCs stored in the modules that the manufacturer approved diagnostic system could communicate with would be displayed. If there was an open circuit fault in a certain position on the CAN harness, the modules that could display DTCs would all be prior to the open circuit on the Network, and these modules should display 'Lost Communications' DTCs with all the modules located on the Network past the open circuit fault.

Post #449720 Sun Jan 25 2015 1:34pm
Fish

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thought I would check in again with my tails of woe.
I have been around all the earth points I could find, engine bay, left and right and also driver and passenger foot wells with no loose wires found, I have had the plug off the handbrake actuator and no sign of water ingress. I have changed my brake lamps and checked for loose wires and water and all clear. Finally I changed the battery for a new one on the off chance this was the problem, and still I was getting the whole car lighting up like a Christmas tree, full dash warning lights, interior light coming on, door locks unlocking/locking, hazards and oil temp to max Big Cry
Took the car to the local dealers for an oil and filter change and got them to reset the faults and interrogate.
They just said loads of logged faults but lost comms at some point causing the problem. Got the car back and it has been fine for 3 days, a record, that's is until this morning after a wee run, old faithful lean while cornering, suspension lowered and handbrake fault up again.
Looks like back to the dealers for another interrogation Big Cry but do seem to be getting somewhere (less fault light)
To be continued........ 2.7 HSE, Audi A6 Exec, Honda Accord Exec, Volvo 440, Volvo 360

Post #452038 Tue Feb 10 2015 1:02pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't bother with the dealer if I were you. You best bet would be to get Disco_Mikey over to have a look at it. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #452073 Tue Feb 10 2015 5:14pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

+1

Would recommend DM Thumbs Up 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #452075 Tue Feb 10 2015 5:18pm
Fish

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Yeh, i've had Mikey down before doing a few things for me, great guy and service. I only went down the dealer route as i was getting a cheap oil change deal and its local, the interrogation wasn't much on the price.
Been driving about all day and no more alarms so i am tempted to leave it and see if it starts alarming every day as before.
No doubt as soon as i go offshore it'll kick off again Rolling Eyes 2.7 HSE, Audi A6 Exec, Honda Accord Exec, Volvo 440, Volvo 360

Post #452093 Tue Feb 10 2015 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>