RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Apprehensive first time buyer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

simple1 wrote:
Can complain all we like but my ten pence is that if you have dealer service history and have a major issue out of warranty, it repays in multiples. Bit like a warranty, you pays your money........ I
n my case, £4200 in service costs over 7 years was more than covered by LR stepping up to the plate when engine lunched itself. I'm am 100% sure that if I hadn't got full dealer history they would have walked with their cheque book. Big Cry
If the service charges are value for money, that's another question, which I can only agree, they charge far more than the levels of skills they have, should allow🔫

It's a fair point, but, I aim to service my D3 every 10k (about 6 months), to have this done at a dealer would probably cost me at least £400-500 extra a year. I try to prevent problems before they happen and do stuff early, which is just not affordable at main dealer prices. The extra money gets spend on improving and modifying the car instead.

If these cars blew up every second of the day, I just wouldn't have one, but the truth is, whatever you might here, they don't. Some people are unlucky, but it's still a minority.

Either way at £700 for a service, it's not just paying dealer prices, it's being ripped off.

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #448956 Mon Jan 19 2015 12:03pm
zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

Thanks for the new (more positive) replies guys. Feel like I've really started over-analysing my purchase now - all my previous cars have been bought with no such in-depth research. Just a few test drives and then I chose one (usually with my heart and not my head lol) and then dealing with any problems as and when they arose (not often thankfully). It was definitely a much more pleasurable buying experience Laughing

Anyway just had a depressing chat with Warranty Direct - the policy I was quoted for does NOT cover Suspension faults. It is also not even an upgrade option for 2006 RRS vehicles. Is it still worth shelling out £900 on a warranty that doesn't cover the suspension or should I just keep that money as a contingency fund (and add to it monthly)? Can anyone recommend a warranty that would include suspension on an 8 year old RRS or is that just not an option for cars that age?

Thanks for the link to the service kit Lost for Words... that sounds way more affordable - no different to my Jeep in fact. Touch wood I plan on keeping my new RRS for a minimum of 5 years by which time it will be worth very little. I've serviced most of my cars myself at one time or another dating all the way back to my first (Ford Cortina 1.6 GL). Given the car would be 13-14 years old when I sell it would dealer stamps in the book really be worth anything - more than the savings I'd make servicing it independently or even myself?

Of course if I go for the warranty I would HAVE to get it serviced by an approved (independent) garage anyway (they won't pay for LR servicing) which leads me back to my dilemma. Do I shell out on a warranty and independent garage servicing each year £1300-£1500 a year... or keep that money aside for any problems and service myself. If it helps my normal annual mileage is about 5000 miles which is a lot less than the usual average.

Whole thing is starting to stress me out now Confused

Post #448958 Mon Jan 19 2015 12:14pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It really depends on how hands on you want to get.

IMO, a dealer stamp offers less reassurance than a LR indy one, unless I know it's a good dealer.

Most aftermarket warranties aren't worth as much as the paper they're written on. Saving up money each month would be a good idea, if you can make sure it doesn't end up getting spent. Laughing

There's no particular need to worry about the suspension. If it hasn't already been done, you'll probably have to replace the compressor one day but it's not that bigger deal. £500 for an improved AMK replacement: http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr045251-...2927-p.asp. The main cost of owning a RRS (even more so for a D3, as it's a bit heavier) is wear and tear - this is usually the route of all problems. They do get through suspension arms and bushes etc. They are not battery friendly either. A good set of tyres is also the best part of £800.

The good thing is that there is lots of help and advice - more than you'll get for other manufacturers.

There are several stages you'll go through: First you'll be uncertain about buying it. Then you'll buy it and be really glad you did. Next you'll read up about all the problems and scare your pants off before finally, you learn to trust it and wouldn't settle for anything else. This is good as it makes you aware of what needs to be done and how to avoid problems. Thumbs Up

Steve @ Advanced Factors (the service kit I linked to) is as good a sponsor as you can get and stocks all sorts of good aftermarket parts with fast delivery and excellent customer service. Wink

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #448960 Mon Jan 19 2015 12:45pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

As said, you could save your money and not buy the warranty, but remember the turbos have been known to go more frequently than any of us would like and it can cost over £4000 to sort. If it takes the engine with it you could be looking at £12000+ Big Cry

Post #448964 Mon Jan 19 2015 1:58pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

New TDV8 turbos are £960 each frome Steve @ Advanced Factors. Whistle

£12,000+ for an engine and turbos. Who's your dealer? Shocked Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #448975 Mon Jan 19 2015 3:40pm
zaphod

Might be showing my ignorance here but I'm looking at Supercharged Petrol V8's - would I not be exempt from this issue as there's no turbo?

Post #448978 Mon Jan 19 2015 4:10pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yes, not relevant to you. I can't offer any advice regarding the reliability of the supercharged engine but I'm sure someone else here can. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #448981 Mon Jan 19 2015 4:22pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

Borrowed the amounts from previous threads as I have neither problem. I'm sure others will give their accounts and costs. I'm sure they are the price you have said for turbo's from Steve but that doesn't take into account of "body off"!cost!

Post #448983 Mon Jan 19 2015 4:24pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I know of a certain someone who can have the body off in 3 1/2 hours. Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #448987 Mon Jan 19 2015 4:39pm
designboy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

Yea, today I left my girl in for a service, looks to be about £2400 in work, gutted. But I have a warranty that I might - might get something out of, then look at the rest myself. But as said, nothing else will do once you drive one. They are amazing bits of kit. I was in a toss up over an X5 and knew that driving by a RRS would always have made me jealous! So now when I see X5's and their owners - I always wonder do they think like I did? Razz

Though, the suspension and steering rack I will have to fix here are so annoying. Its a great beast 99.5% of the rest of the time. Whistle 

Post #449285 Wed Jan 21 2015 6:46pm
zaphod

Be really interested to know what warranty company you used and if they pay out? I'm still trying to decide who (if anyone) to go with when I buy mine... Rolling Eyes

What do you guys think of this one? Does everything look as it should be and original (factory fitted not aftermarket). Only thing I don't really like is the covers on the back lights (should be easily removed though?) and there are no side steps.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...?logcode=p

Post #449289 Wed Jan 21 2015 7:00pm
designboy

Super charged are super. Love them. 

Post #449298 Wed Jan 21 2015 8:03pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

zaphod wrote:
What do you guys think of this one? Does everything look as it should be and original (factory fitted not aftermarket). Only thing I don't really like is the covers on the back lights (should be easily removed though?) and there are no side steps.

Nothing glaringly obvious there. The main thing is you need to check the service history.

Light guards can be removed but be aware that they could have left marks on the paint below. I'm not keen on sidesteps but you can always fit some if you really want. Just remember to prioritise the mechanical condition of the car above anything else. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #449364 Thu Jan 22 2015 10:24am
zaphod

I went and did it Very Happy

Well I viewed the RRS, checked everything I could during my exploration and test-drive and the only things wrong were the battery and bonnet release catch not working both of which the dealer fixed for me. Everything works, no nasty noises when driving and it has a FSH, mostly from Guy Salmon which I believe is one of the better dealerships? So much car for so little money (relatively speaking) - car was immaculate inside and out.

I picked up my new (to me) girl yesterday and I have to confess I love her to bits. It's a strange thing to describe driving her - sat in the driving seat looking down the expansive bonnet it feels like I'm sitting at my desk driving a tank. Yet its so comfortable, powerful and responsive that it feels like its breaking the laws of physics... when it reaches a corner it doesn't wallow like a whale like all my previous 4x4's did and I only need to tap the gas lightly for a surge of power. When the weather improves I hope to tap it a lot harder Laughing I'm still discovering all the toys but adaptive cruise control is my favourite so far. However the SatNav is... an interesting curiosity that I've yet to get used to!

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm not going to kid myself... she's 10 years old shortly and has done 93,000 miles and things are going to crop up from time to time. Expensive things probably... I'm not a rich man so I'm still struggling with my original warranty dilemma. She has a 3 month parts & labour warranty right now. Warranty Direct seems to be the 'best' company judging by comments on here... but it's the best part of £900 a year and because of her age it doesn't cover the suspension which is likely to be the main problem?

THE PLAN

I'm currently thinking about taking out AA Breakdown insurance with the extra parts & garage cover which would give me £500 towards any show-stopping repairs for relatively little outlay. Take it to dealer once a year for service/MOT and hopefully fix any advisories myself (I'm OK with a spanner and changing brake pads/discs is no problem). Put some money aside each month for any surprises. Being petrol I wouldn't have to worry about timing belts or exploding turbos and if I keep on top of maintenance the gearbox/diffs/transmission should be ok? I only do about 4000 miles per year so wear and tear shouldn't be too bad. I plan on keeping her for 4-5 years (I hold on to my cars if I like 'em).

I know nobody can predict the future and I almost feel like I've jinxed myself already, but can anyone see any glaring holes in my plan that I should be aware of?

Post #450358 Fri Jan 30 2015 4:52pm
designboy

Sounds good, glad you love it. I cant see me driving anything else no more, my business partner shares his porsche with me and I'd always pick my v8!

I had a warranty, got a 4k bill in there but its suspension, prop shaft and rack needs done along with new rubber for the rims and of course some pads. So its expensive to me to pay that sort of cash, my last car was a honda CRV.

I'd say take the Warranty Direct -
Keep oil in it twice a year
re-oil the gear box asap
Drive it sensibly and dont jump in cold starts with high revs.

Be nice to other drivers too Wink Thumbs Up 

Post #450366 Fri Jan 30 2015 5:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>