RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Thanks Santa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

malcolmw

United Kingdom 

IMO there was a lot of hot air expended about the "gap" but it really is a non-issue. It doesn't make the car unusable, does it.

I could never understand the "it lets water behind the bumper" comments. The gap is outside the passenger compartment seals. Do people really expect bumpers to be waterproof? It's a purely cosmetic issue. Regards

Malcolm

Post #447062 Thu Jan 01 2015 7:45pm
Gal Dove

"It's a purely cosmetic issue."

That's right. The wiring looms that are clearly visible through the gap are just there for show. MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)
1972 VW Bay Camper (cooled by the air alone!!)

Post #447068 Thu Jan 01 2015 8:33pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

I have had many cars with park sensors in the rear connected by wiring just behind the (non-sealed) bumper. This should not cause a problem with modern connectors. There is no problem with screening wiring from water spray but no need to form a seal. There is a lot of wiring which is susceptible to getting wet.

If the "gap" were not visible and the edge of the moulding extended just behind the rubber door seal, would this make any difference apart from cosmetically? The bumper still would not be sealed but you just would not notice it. Regards

Malcolm

Post #447076 Thu Jan 01 2015 10:02pm
Gal Dove

Thanks for the explanation, Malcolm.

I paid for my car with cash - and I'm really finding it hard to justify paying north of £65k for a car that is so obviously riddled with fit & fixture problems. One can only hope that the mechanics will stand the test of time.

We're all going to have different opinions about this (and other) issues and I'm not too bothered about getting in to a debate about it.

One thing, however, is for sure; water and electric do not and will never mix. My concerns are pretty fundamental; what error messages and electrical faults are these cars going to be throwing out in 1, 2 or 3 year's time...? None? Then great, my money is well spent.

But I somehow doubt that.

While we're one the subject of water and electric - next time any of you get the chance to get down on to your hands and knees at the rear of the car - have a gander at the electrical wiring and connector blocks that are strapped to the back of the rear differential on these cars. Unbelievable. A mate of mine who's an automotive electrical engineer noticed this and pointed it out to me. All of this is constantly exposed to all the crap and general oomska that comes off the road. Wow. How is that going to fair the test of time, I wonder...?

I'm really trying to love this car - but it keeps trying to stop me. Laughing MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)
1972 VW Bay Camper (cooled by the air alone!!)

Post #447091 Fri Jan 02 2015 1:07am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Gal, thanks for the comments, The seal above the rear bumper was one of the first things I checked when inspecting my car. It is not perfect but I have not seen anything tidier and can live with it.

And, I certainly don’t think that the gap issue was overblown at all. If my car was as bad as some that I have seen in showrooms or in pictures posted on this forum, I would have refused to take delivery of it. I made that clear to my dealer as soon as I became aware of the problem through this forum. I can’t recall the gentleman’s name, but somebody on this forum worked very hard to get LR to recognise that they had an issue and to get the issue out in front of motoring journalists.

I do have a few other items that I realised that I didn't mention in my update. My InControl account got set up incorrectly by my dealer (they got my email address wrong) and now they can’t remove my car from the wrong email address and allocate it to my correct email address. To be fair, a very helpful lady from at my Dealer has been working on this and hopefully it will be resolved in a couple of days. The second issue I didnt mention (because I thought that I needed to research the user manual properly) is double door opening. I want to set door opening so that when keyless is used, only the driver’s door opens. I took my car into my dealer on Wednesday to try to sort out the InControl issue and told them that I had changed the setting for double opening through the vehicle settings menu but it doesn’t work. They tried and concluded that there was a problem with it and a technician needs to look at it. The final was relates to the OBD Switch. When I collected my car, I asked my dealer if this had been fitted and he said that they no longer fit it, because they have found that it is vulnerable – just as some people on this forum said that it would soon be!

So to summarise……after just over a week of ownership the following are still outstanding:

Sagging Seat
Offside Rear Seat – only shuts if given a good slam
InControl – account not set up
Double Door Opening – doesn’t work
Number plate – I asked for GB plates to be fitted but my car came with ordinary plates (very minor issue though)

On the plus side, the dealer has without question recognised all of these and committed to fixing them promptly, but like Gal and a lot of others here I am not leasing this car and it is not through any work scheme. I have forked out almost £90k of my hard earned money and for that much I think that I am entitled to expect near perfection.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #447215 Fri Jan 02 2015 11:18pm
ABSport

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Personally for a car costing over £65k with gaps and electrical connecting blocks is a joke. Land Rover Range Rover Jaguar is suppose to be a luxury brand and comes with a quality workmanship on all interior and exterior components.
Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot and Renault are all known for "you get what you pay for" as in crap plastics cheap leather thin paint etc etc etc....... As for OUR brand Range Rover I would put the quality up there with the best so if I was paying £65k cash or finance ( either way your still working hard for your money ) you want a motor which is going to be reliable with all the quality and reassurance from a top brand. Give it a few years and the L494 forums will be riddled with faults unless people with the new orders bring up all the niggles and faults they need to be ACTIONED ASAP.

Last edited by ABSport on Sat Jan 03 2015 7:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #447290 Sat Jan 03 2015 5:20pm
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Bit off topic but did any of you guys who bought a rrs2 look at the porsche cayenne, reason i ask i'am looking to put a deposit down on either a rrs2 or a porsche in the next couple of weeks, ive got the porsche overnight next week but havent had a test drive of the rrs2 yet any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Post #447291 Sat Jan 03 2015 5:33pm
ABSport

RRS2 All the way, full aluminium body and TBH it does look good and is modern with the times. After all the niggles and faults it will be a my perfect choice.

I have a 2011 Range Rover Sport and is now fully converted to Autobiography. Coming from a Vauxhall Insignia 2.8 V6 VXR, the Range Rover is miles ahead with quality inside and out.

Last edited by ABSport on Sat Jan 03 2015 7:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #447293 Sat Jan 03 2015 5:42pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

ABSport wrote:
Personally for a car costing over £65k with gaps and electrical connecting blocks is a joke. Land Rover Range Rover Jaguar is suppose to be a luxury brand and comes with a quality workmanship on all interior and exterior components.
Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot and Renault are all known for "you get what you pay for" as in crap plastics cheap leather thin paint etc etc etc....... As for OUR brand Range Rover I would put the quality up there with the best so if I was paying £65k cash or finace ( either way your still working hard for your money ) you want a motor which is going to be reliable with all the quality and reassurance from a top brand. Give it a few years and the L494 forums will be riddled with faults unless people with the new orders bring up all the niggles and faults they need to be ACTIONED ASAP.

Touché Thumbs Up Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #447295 Sat Jan 03 2015 5:49pm
ABSport

Nothing Touché about it, its a fact.............. Laughing

Post #447299 Sat Jan 03 2015 7:06pm
ABSport

Thanks to Gal and his gallery say no more..............

Click image to enlarge

Post #447302 Sat Jan 03 2015 7:36pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

Violetpiano wrote:
... I can’t recall the gentleman’s name, but somebody on this forum worked very hard to get LR to recognise that they had an issue and to get the issue out in front of motoring journalists.

Jas

Just to get me up to date, has anyone actually had their rear bumper changed yet on a warranty basis related to the "gap"? Regards

Malcolm

Post #447309 Sat Jan 03 2015 8:11pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

It was robot aka Rob T who did all the good work...

Not seen any posts about the update or anyone getting it done... Shocked 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #447317 Sat Jan 03 2015 8:30pm
URX

Scotland 

Omg the back end is awful and looks like an old 70s scimitar / kit car standard of fit Whistle
Hope this gets a permanent and decent fix

Post #447333 Sun Jan 04 2015 12:34am
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

baxc i tried the porsche nice car but just didnt give me the feeling i got in the new sport but interesting to hear what you think 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #447342 Sun Jan 04 2015 9:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>