RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Thefts - are remote codes being sniffed by theives ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mcgroa

Thefts - are remote codes being sniffed by theives ?

Ok so I've waded thru all the theft posts and can't determine whether key cloning thefts are initiated by a) blocking remote locking and hoping owner doesnt notice, b) physical entry by breaking a window or c) sniffing key codes when cars are being locked and using that code to access car

a and b are not that hard to stop with caution and an obd isolator or deterrent lock. C of course is tough and requires a new level of diligence.

Any knowledge appreciated. Seems to be not enough info around to determine how concerned should be at leaving car somewhere at night.

Post #445894 Sat Dec 20 2014 10:20am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Don't use the remote to lock the car is one. Always double lock with the button on the handle. 

Post #445898 Sat Dec 20 2014 11:35am
Chrisr1806

England 

Always use my keyless now, and hopefully that means I won't be one that is targeted by thieves. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #445902 Sat Dec 20 2014 12:10pm
philmw

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/artsbeat/2...;referrer= 

Post #445915 Sat Dec 20 2014 4:25pm
mcgroa

thx - so do i infer that using the double tap to lock on the handle is best, and that to steal my motor if i do that, will need someone to smash window and stick their key device into obd.

has nobody had one stolen by scooping the remote code from the air and then spoofing access?

Post #445964 Sun Dec 21 2014 2:08am
Salmon&permit

England 

I was told that the crooks have managed to get hold of the code and algorithm for the electronic 'handshake'......so they can walk up to your car with a computer, hit the 'go' button and the computer simply runs through the various electronic 'hellos' until your car says 'oh, hello key, welcome' and opens the doors and disables the alarm....allowing them to simply push the start key and drive off.

Now, maybe that's a load of rubbish!! Possibly, they just copied my keys signal (but I live at the far end of a dead-end mews of high walls with no hiding places and never saw anyone) or they knew where I lived and left a box to record the signal, which I have also heard is possible.

In any event, I stick a steering lock on my car every night and try to remember to lock the car via the door handle rather than from the key fob. However they are doing it, they managed to nick just under 300 RR of various types in Central London in the first 6 months of 2013.......out of I would guess about 1,500 delivered over the previous 12 months.....so that's about 1 in 5. Can this really be right? Crossing my fingers that lightening doesn't strike twice and now they are a little less rare and cool, and more have Cat 5 trackers.....the crooks will move on to something else.

Post #447630 Wed Jan 07 2015 12:24am
Rainbow

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

An article on the Birmingham Post website dated 2 Jan infers that JLR have released 3 security upgrades over the last year and were about to make a fourth that they are "confident addresses the current theft mechanisms being used". Link below.

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/m...ag-8376073

Post #447683 Wed Jan 07 2015 1:58pm
philmw

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/six-ways-thi...revent-it/ 

Post #447695 Wed Jan 07 2015 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1