RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 100,000 miles and depreciation.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRS Daz

100,000 miles and depreciation.

Do you think when cars go over the 100,000 miles they lose more value?

I bought a tdv8 with 80,000 on and said to myself keep it till 95,000 then move it on. It's now done 90,000 miles and never given me any trouble, i did buy it from a forum user who had really kept up with it. Mega flush gearbox, full dealer history etc. I love everything about the sport now (well apart from the boot)

So I'm not sure if to stick to the plan and move it on but then getting another sport with say 50,000 miles on will be around the £30,000 mark for a car that looks almost the same as mine (I've the new style wheels and lights etc). The problem then been it could be more unreliable than the one I've just sold, this forum has plenty of horror story's.

I've never run a car with over 100k miles on the clock from the old days when that's all they would do, where as today engines are mostly a lot better. The other reason is when your searching for a car I never click the over. 100,000 miles box. Also when cars are for sale they always say 99,000 miles then when you ring it's just turned over 100,000.

So do you think it effects value a lot?

Post #444331 Thu Dec 04 2014 12:55pm
Jasper ham

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I do think people do have a thing about buying cars with less then 100k miles, however as you say this did date back to when engines would need reconditioning when they hit 100k. With the increased mileages that people are doing these days coupled with a good serviced modern engine should do 250k plus, I don't think this makes much difference now. If the car has been serviced as per manufactures spec and the mileage averages less than 15k per year then I would say if you hold on to it pound for pound you are going to lose less on this car over the next 3 years than paying for for a newer model with depreciation. Interested to see other peoples thoughts. 2011 RRS 3.0TDV6 HSE Santorini Black, black leather, 22" Calibre Altus black / polished wheels, full colour coded.

Post #444333 Thu Dec 04 2014 1:15pm
BKHK

Australia 

Here it's 100,000 km at which a car hits a bit of extra depreciation. But it's all a bit silly. 100,000 miles if the car has been serviced and the worn parts replaced should be fine. But I do think that there is a psychological barrier at that number of miles or km.

It's OK if you own it and want to keep it but to be honest when I am shopping for our "beach and boat" cars, I look for something with between 100,000 and 120,000km because I know it will be cheaper but probably just as good. Currently we have 3rd car (don't laugh) 2007 Forester to get sandy and wet with 104,000 km on it. It is clean as, pulls the boat OK and cost just over 3000 quid.

Post #444340 Thu Dec 04 2014 2:17pm
RRS Daz

Thanks for the input.

To add a little more information to this. I have a work car for during week, my summer only weekend car then the sport. So the sport functions as the main family car spending 90% of its life sitting at 65/70mph on the motorway taking the family places which is why reliability is so important to me. The sports paid for in full as are all my cars (I don't even know how them pcp plans workout), it's warranty is due for renewal this month too.

So my heads spinning with options! Buy a boring but safe audi estate, renew the warranty and keep the sport but risk losing more when it turns over 100k, find out how these pcp plans work and see what I could drive next that's still got a manufactors warranty?

Off topic but merc are doing some cheap deals on new cars at the moment.

Post #444345 Thu Dec 04 2014 2:45pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you buy a younger vehicle you will lose more on it than you will on the older RRS. Your RRS is a good one which is in its favour anyway as good vehicles always sell well.

I'm not sure the 100k mile mark is the issue it once was anyway - especially with a luxury vehicle. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #444386 Thu Dec 04 2014 8:50pm
darrenmcneill

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

Isnt there a saying of...

"If it aint broke, dont fix it...."

If the RRS is giving you trouble free motoring, and you enjoy it, keep it!! New cars depreciate a lot more than older cars, especially when a new style model is introduced.

Personally id keep it. My last 3 cars have always been over 100k miles, and tbh the price seems to level off, unless you start getting into the high 100k's, but even then ive seen RRS's with 180k-190k miles still commanding a high re-sale price.

Always best to get on Autotrader and compare. With high end luxury cars, the higher milage doesnt affect the resale cost as much as a lower spec regular car, but as always thats dependant upon year build etc.

But what do I know... I run supermarkets! lol Whistle 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46383.html

Post #444398 Thu Dec 04 2014 10:17pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Personally and no disrespect meant or implied, I wouldn't touch a second hand car with 80 let alone 100k miles....usually. I changed habit of a lifetime recently and bought an Alfa Romeo of all things, with 102k miles on it.
The car is ex-lease and came with two box files full of bills for work done. It looks like new, drives like new and will be driven til it dies. Best run about I've ever owned. Short version is, if it's been looked after and goes fine, hold on to it, it's done its money, just be prepared to spend on it or right it off if it dies terminally. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #444411 Thu Dec 04 2014 11:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS Daz

Thanks for the replys.

My tour of France in the sport started all this overthinking off, I had been driving about 16 hours and started to imagine noises, which then started to stress me out. That then started a conversation with the wife about just having a new car on lease which has snowballed now. Also having something slightly smaller would be good for the odd occasion I let the wife use the sport but I'd have to put in about 8k and the sport to downgrade to a 2.0 q5 with 50k miles.

I moved about from range rovers after having a full fat and nothing come close to the driving experience so I know that will happen again.

Post #444433 Fri Dec 05 2014 12:03pm
RRS Daz

simple1 wrote:
Personally and no disrespect meant or implied, I wouldn't touch a second hand car with 80 let alone 100k miles....usually. I changed habit of a lifetime recently and bought an Alfa Romeo of all things, with 102k miles on it.
The car is ex-lease and came with two box files full of bills for work done. It looks like new, drives like new and will be driven til it dies. Best run about I've ever owned. Short version is, if it's been looked after and goes fine, hold on to it, it's done its money, just be prepared to spend on it or right it off if it dies terminally.

No offence taken mate we all have comfort zones when it comes to mileage but to be honest if I'd of had the trouble you had I'd of never bought the brand again. Infact it's normally you horror story that sticks in my mind.

Which Alfa did you go for?

Post #444436 Fri Dec 05 2014 2:03pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Very interesting points. I remember my Dad religiously selling his cars as soon as they hit 99k! Think it depends a lot on the type of car. I've got an old honda CRV which I use daily with 106k on the clock and I doubt the milestone of a 100k made much difference to its value.
A significant issue is seach engines and filters as most people buy cars on line initially- so many will set the mileage to a limit within their comfort zone.

Post #444443 Fri Dec 05 2014 5:02pm
ian-r

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I think the 100,000 miles stigma really suites the older cars, where milometers went to 99,000 and clocked back to 1 mile. Cars were simply not built to last that long.

I bought my sport at 98000 miles but had a look at others with 110, 130,000 miles on, the miles on those didn't put me off just ropey bodywork from bad accident repairs. My car now has 103000 on, we have just done a 700 mile trip on holiday without it missing a beat. I certainly wont be parting with mine any time soon, I consider 100,000 miles as not really that high any more (so long as the car has history and has been looked after etc)

What I don't understand is why on earth people would pay £25000 for a newer sport which is essentially the same vehicle, that's where you will lose money surely!? Yes of course, if money is no object we would all have the latest lowest miles but, I really dont see the need.

If its going well and your happy with it keep enjoying and don't think about swapping Thumbs Up

Post #444444 Fri Dec 05 2014 5:30pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had a Volvo XC70 with 210k on it. All the major issues were handled before 100k and the next 100k were issue free apart from tyres & other consumables.

Unfortunately it started to use water, so I dropped a new engine in it but that was botched by the mechanic, so another story but otherwise it was a very reliable car & behaved as expected for a high mileage car. Trick is to keep it serviced regularly and replace worn out items as they occur*.

*yes, I know someone will pull me on the compressor warning light that I had for a while but that was an issue that did not affect it's driving, just going up & down.

Post #444447 Fri Dec 05 2014 6:23pm
Madjohn

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I run 3 vehicles
My RRS 11 plate has 72k on it
My late 2011 astra van has 183k on it I keep vans for 5 years and cover 300k in that time
My 4X4 run a round has 130k and is 12yrs old

If a vehicle has very good body with high miles then I don't mind sorting mechanical probs out my self Smile

Post #444460 Fri Dec 05 2014 9:41pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Blimey- you cover some ground John!

Post #444462 Fri Dec 05 2014 9:53pm
Madjohn

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Yes ! 60-70k A year
It's a job I do 😃 Comms tech

Post #444465 Fri Dec 05 2014 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>