RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Driving through puddles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Nsp1

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Driving through puddles

Over the past few days I've noticed how dangerous it is to drive through (medium sized) puddles.
Was going down the motorway today and doing about 60 due to the heavy rain. I hit a fair sized puddle in the outside lane and the water splashed forward, then up, then covered the bonnet. Water then went straight over the windscreen. I nearly Censored myself as I couldn't see a thing for a second or two. Also gave the Mrs a fright too as the car pulled towards the right (and obviously the central reservation).

I thought cars like this would be fine as they're higher up but it seems not. No water ever hit the windscreen on my Astra, it just covered any passing pedestrians.

So, be careful out there guys & gals.

Post #445596 Wed Dec 17 2014 1:12am
tailormadefun

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Haha, that's what happens when 2.7 tonnes hits a puddle, it called displacement!

Post #445600 Wed Dec 17 2014 7:27am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Add physics to fact that you have two very large tyres ( foot wide) and aqua plain is inevitable especially if you have Tarmac tyres. Mine skated on water, the wipers remained on auto for just this. My L 200 has off road tyres, still throws water up over the bonnet and screen but never looses it footing.
If car had the reaction you describe, you were driving too fast for the conditions😱. Doing 100000 miles plus a year, mostly on motorways, I regularly see accidents caused by exactly what Censored you up. It's a lesson. Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #445612 Wed Dec 17 2014 10:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scarey

i wouldnt consider 60 mph as excessive speed in heavy rain..

Post #445629 Wed Dec 17 2014 1:27pm
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Then you've never been in heavy rain.
I only comment because I'm in Scotland, when we have heavy rain you just wouldn't do 60 MPH.
Mind you in my experience it's not the rain it's the pot holes hidden in the puddles that's the problem.

Post #445639 Wed Dec 17 2014 2:36pm
simple1

scarey wrote:
i wouldnt consider 60 mph as excessive speed in heavy rain..

Whistle then it will be you we sit and watch being extracted from central barrier. Some folk are beyond belief, when will they learn it's appropriate speed not actual speed. Any speed can be too much, it depends on the circumstances not excess. You fly off the road at 20 mph in ice, you still wasn't "speeding" but you still were going too fast. Fact, your car is in the hedge... Censored 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #445661 Wed Dec 17 2014 6:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nsp1

It seems whatever speed you do, the water comes right over the screen.
My wipers were on but still a scary experience.

Post #445680 Wed Dec 17 2014 11:15pm
shadrack

United Kingdom 

i noticed this, only in rrs, my x5 didnt do it, my ml doesnt do it but the rrs does...

all the coments above about 60 been excessive are these the same people who put rear fogs on in rain and then want to do 40mph in all lanes

Post #445685 Wed Dec 17 2014 11:46pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

normally the outside overtaking lane Laughing Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #445709 Thu Dec 18 2014 10:21am
D12TYJ

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I know that feeling all to well, as uv encountered the exact same situation where it really did scare me, doing 70mph in heavy rain, but this was in my company car mercedes, and yep your all right, speed is the major factor and not what car it is.

Post #445744 Thu Dec 18 2014 4:10pm
marcliss

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I find that even doing 15mph through a fair sized puddle makes water splash up over the bonnet. Never happened in my 7 series BM which was the closest to the RRS in weight. To me it looks like it's part of the design, as I have never experienced a car that gets dirty faster than a black RRS

Post #445747 Thu Dec 18 2014 4:27pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

At 60mph you're travelling about 88 feet per second or about 30 metres per second.

This means a small 'puddle' of 10 metres in the carriageway comes and goes in under a third of a second. Your reactions times (2 tenths) wont allow you to react or take avoiding action - once you 'feel it' its too late; you're in the lap of the gods Big Cry .

Not only that but your tyres (even when new) ain't ever going to clear that much water in that time so you're definitely floating.

I used to Rally cars quite competitively but I get overtaken by these lunatic ever time there's heavy rain - If tis raining moderately you need to get you speed down to less than 45mph - you might then stand a chance of being in control.

Post #445751 Thu Dec 18 2014 5:19pm
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Guys i was involved in a accident 3 weeks ago, my work van is now a total loss, this has caused me a lot of hassel i dont need all because the car infront of me was travelling to fast in heavy rain aquaplained across 3 lanes of the motorway causing the car next to me to swerve into my lane and hit me, i have a camera on my van which recorded everthing trust me after this i drive like a snail in heavy rain

Post #445757 Thu Dec 18 2014 5:49pm
simple1

shadrack wrote:
i noticed this, only in rrs, my x5 didnt do it, my ml doesnt do it but the rrs does...

all the coments above about 60 been excessive are these the same people who put rear fogs on in rain and then want to do 40mph in all lanes

Fog lights says exactly what they are for.....fog. As I'm not allowed to use lane 3 I won't take issue with that comment Rolling with laughter
Believe me I'm not a born again green preacher, I am quite prone to sculping along at excess the limit, but driving for a living develops a 6 th sense which involves slowing down when conditions demand. Too often I see a car fly by in rain or fog, and two or three miles up the road it's embedded in a barrier or another inocent drivers motor who has been caught in the accident. Two days ago on the slip from M3 to M25 a Censored in Cayenne passed me doing 80+. As I came round the bend he was exiting out on to main lanes backwards having pinballed off three sides of barriers. We ended up sat there for an hour. I showed plod the cctv from my installed system which I am now required by licence to carry to protect me from Censored on push bikes. Rolling with laughter 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #445772 Thu Dec 18 2014 8:12pm
Mister B

^^^^^^^^ Don't get me started on pushbikes Evil or Very Mad

Post #445780 Thu Dec 18 2014 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>