Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 Help Needed - Remote Park/Timed Park Heating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
L494 Help Needed - Remote Park/Timed Park Heating

OK, so I'm hoping that someone adventurous would be willing to have a closer look at their new L494. Particularly if you DIDNT order it with Remote Park heating.

Looking through the bits and pieces, it would appear that the diesels will still come with a FBH, just a slightly different design and situated in a different location from the earlier RRS.

There seems to be one difference between the std FBH and the Remote/Timed Climate FBH.

The Remote version has a cut off solenoid to force the circulating coolant into the passenger heater matrix to warm the inside of the cabin.

Without that, it will continue to heat the engine block (not a bad thing to protect your engine and help it warm up in the morning).

The remote unit is a slightly different design and like the earlier version, should link up to the FM antenna in the roof. So I suspect that this newer version will also connect to the same aeriel that is used to retrofit the 2010-2013 models.

Here is the placement of the components.

So, I'm looking for someone that did NOT order the Remote park heating to have a look in the engine bay (remember the pic is likely to be for a LHD model)
Remove the engine cover as well as the battery cover and what would have been the Aux battery cover in old days Wink
And take a couple of pics for me?

Then, if feeling brave, remove the interior trim off of the tailgate (they will pop off as they're held on by plastic clips)

What you're looking for, is an unused connector anywhere from the top of the hatch down to about 1/2 way down.
It would probably be covered in grey foam to protect it. But I need a picture of it if possible.

If we can distinguish that these exist (which is contrary to what dealers have been saying, but they may not be looking in the right place!) then it may be possible to get it at least partially working.
I know that I can technically enable the functionality on the RRS2 in the same way as the previous RRS. It would appear that without changing the changeover valve (which will only heat the internal heater matrix) that we may be able to get it working in the same way as the previous RRS.

Any brave souls with their new cars able to have a look for me......? Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Last edited by Bodsy on Tue Jan 06 2015 3:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #447548 Tue Jan 06 2015 2:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beancounter_74

England 

Why not see if you can get a 'test drive' from a local dealer in one for a couple of hours Bodsy Wink Whistle ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #447550 Tue Jan 06 2015 2:41pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I had thought of that, but I've just not got the free time at the minute. Bodsys Brake Bible
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #447552 Tue Jan 06 2015 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beancounter_74

England 

No rest for the wicked Whistle Laughing ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #447555 Tue Jan 06 2015 2:59pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Just a bump for the evening shift.... Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #447588 Tue Jan 06 2015 8:38pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi Bodsy

I received this reply from JLR Dec 2013 as I had called them ref the absence of the FBH.

"Dear Mr Hill

I write further to our telephone conversation on 27th November 2013. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding, and I assure you that no discourtesy is intended.

I have taken the opportunity to liaise with our Product team and our Engineers in relation to your comments regarding the auxiliary heater function. Our Product team have confirmed that the Remote Park Heater function is now a cost option across the Range Rover Sport derivative range.

Our Engineers have explained that our new diesel vehicles have an electric auxiliary heater fitted as standard that speeds up the heating of the vehicle as they would otherwise be slow to heat up due to their inherent efficiency.

We could not package this electric heater solution on Discovery 3 and 4 so fitted the Fuel Burning auxiliary heater as standard in the UK to speed heater warm up. The electric solution is inherently more fuel efficient and lighter but it cannot facilitate timed climate. This design is one of many weight and efficiency improvement measures such as the aluminium construction designed to transform efficiency, performance and dynamics from the outgoing vehicle.

The fuel burning auxiliary heater is required as part of the timed climate option on our new vehicles. This fitment policy is in line with our facing competition.

I understand that this information may be a disappointment to you, but I hope this will not spoil your enjoyment of your vehicle.

If I can be of assistance again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Jason Stuart

Executive Office

01926 691696"

So, my understanding has always been that the FBH omitted on the RRS2 hence the £1k price, but it's not absolutely transparently clear! It would save weight as well. Maybe, one will have to do as you request!! Having said that, if it has an electric heater fitted, then it's not of much use imo as there is no apparent benefit as under frosty conditions it is a fairly lumpy idle from glow plug start for a brief while and minimal cabin heat for 5 mins. The Webasto FBH on Disco 3/4s and RRS1s much better, but then emissions and thus road tax much higher!

Post #447601 Tue Jan 06 2015 9:51pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

All the topix info points to a fbh that is for timed climate and an fbh that isn't. Only difference is the solenoid to re route the water.

The electric heater seems to be in the heater matrix, different from the fbh which is still fuel powered.

Really need to have a look in the engine bay of one.

Anyone around Saturday that wouldn't mind me having a quick gander? Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #447604 Tue Jan 06 2015 10:05pm
peanutbob

I will be in Aldford, couple of miles south of Chester most of the day on Saturday if that helps!

Post #447606 Tue Jan 06 2015 10:10pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I'll be in Surrey and reading Saturday, sorry, should have said Laughing Thumbs Up
Can you have a look in your engine bay, at the back for an elusive fbh...... Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #447609 Tue Jan 06 2015 10:25pm
peanutbob

I'll do my best! Thumbs Up I'd like to know the reality anyway!

Post #447616 Tue Jan 06 2015 10:45pm
Disco

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:
Thanks for that Thumbs Up

All the topix info points to a fbh that is for timed climate and an fbh that isn't. Only difference is the solenoid to re route the water.

The electric heater seems to be in the heater matrix, different from the fbh which is still fuel powered.

Really need to have a look in the engine bay of one.

Anyone around Saturday that wouldn't mind me having a quick gander?

We live near Telford but have the timed climate. Pm if you want a look and we could meet up.

Post #447713 Wed Jan 07 2015 7:13pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

That would be excellent. Are you around tomorrow 5.30ish?

I'd be back to Telford around 5.30

Drop me a PM with your address if you don't mind. Thumbs Up I may also take the opportunity to check the CCF settings if you were OK with that also (I'ts painless, dont worry Laughing Thumbs Up )

Ian Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #447722 Wed Jan 07 2015 8:08pm
Disco

United Kingdom 

PM sent.

Post #447727 Wed Jan 07 2015 8:24pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Right, BIG thanks to Disco for letting me have a look around his car and take a couple of pics.

So your engine bay should look like this

Then look at the rear left hand side for the newly designed FBH tucked away behind the suspension strut.

Once you've spotted the fbh, you need to see if it has the solenoid and extra pipe work (not that clear, but hopefully you get the idea)

Then the receiver unit is behind the rear D pillar

So.... What I need Bob (or someone else who doesn't have timed/remote park heating) to check....
1) is there a FBH in your engine bay
2) if there is, is there a solenoid block with a couple of pipes or just a straight through pipe connector?
3) if feeling brave, the little airbag sign on the D pillar flicks off, Torx bolt behind it then the trim pops off with a couple of clips. Looking for a four pin connector with probably 3 wires coming out of it. Usually wrapped in a bit of foam.

So.... Over to someone else who has a diesel L494 to check Mr. Green

Ian Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #447858 Thu Jan 08 2015 8:42pm
peanutbob

Bodsy

Just been out in the rain, to take some photos with the phone. But doesn't look like its fitted. Do you want to pm me yr e mail address and Ill send some photos over, but I dont have the fin arrangement on the top left...theres a gap there.

Post #447878 Thu Jan 08 2015 11:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>