RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lost Drive on Gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Lost Drive on Gearbox

I have had a lot of problems withLow Fuel warning Light coming on and fuel gauge going to zero,also miles to empty goes to zero. Even when it is full of fuel.I am liasing with Landrover at the moment,as there is a Landrover Modification issued by them for this problem. Today as i was returning from a shopping trip,i was reversing onto my driveway when the gearbox failed to drive in reverse or forwards. I was stuck halfway over pavement and bocking the road. It is now on its way to main dealer. Can this be related to my previous fault? As i have heard that the computer will close down system if it thinks its out of fuel Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry itisme

Post #450550 Sat Jan 31 2015 3:59pm
harrygh60

Dealer has now told me it is the drive shaft turning in the CV Joint withut turning the CV Unit. He said the Splines have sheared or the innareds have split. In 50 or more years with dealings with the motor trade, i have never heard of a CV joint failing without some grunts and grones before. And never heard of a complete failer of drive. I am going to ask for the old unit,so i can see for myself. itisme

Post #451020 Tue Feb 03 2015 10:40am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I had the exact same on my D3 on Friday night. Thumbs Up

The only sign before hand (one which I became aware of months ago), was a slight tick. I thought the bearing the more likely culprit but had been keeping an eye on it. It never got any worse until a couple of weeks ago, max, when SWMBO told me it had got worse. I had yet to hear it though. I fitted a new driveshaft on Saturday and it's as good as new. Thumbs Up

You loose all drive because, with the diffs open, no torque can be transferred to any of the other wheels - it's all dissipated by spinning the disconnected shaft, like a wheel slipping in the mud. I was able to limp mine home (only happened at the end of our road) using Rock Crawl to lock up the transfer box. Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #451027 Tue Feb 03 2015 11:09am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I had front right half shaft changed a few weeks ago. Could only hear it ticking when lock was applied and the window was open so could easily have missed it. Not a big bill to replace at an indie.

Mine had had a split boot replaced a couple of years before so I guess that's when the rot set in. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #451031 Tue Feb 03 2015 11:26am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Cost me about £170 plus fuel to Southampton and back to pick the shaft up from our excellent sponsors, Advanced Factors. Thumbs Up

The shaft took a lot of persuasion to come out of the diff so it took twice as long as it should have but I got it out in the end. Twisted Evil

Quite pleased/relieved that I was able to get it back on the road within 24 hours. Smile Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #451034 Tue Feb 03 2015 11:48am
harrygh60

Mine happened on Saturday morning mid day. If i had been younger i would have investigated further. But being 78yrs . Thought i would leave it to youngsters. If it was in the week i would have got a friend who has his own mechanical repair garage. But he was off down south for weekend. I checked online for part prices and came up with Hardy Spicer Drive Shaft £140 to Genuine Landrover Part £192 Stratstones are charging me over £500 Big Cry Drive Shafts designed for robust off road vehicles,should cope with all the different angles of drive when off road. so should have no trouble with normal road use,and should not fail at 38500 miles itisme

Post #451039 Tue Feb 03 2015 12:17pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Indeed, they should not be failing at that sort of mileage unless it ended up contaminated. My D3 is at 111k. Wink

FWIW, my shaft is a Bearmach.

You may be aware already but Stratstones are, generally, not highly regarded. Sad

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #451045 Tue Feb 03 2015 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1