RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Low Battery Warning Message after having doors open
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Rich

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Low Battery Warning Message after having doors open

Just bought a MY10 and spent this morning cleaning, fitting loadliner and dog guard. Had all four doors and tailgate open for two to three hours. I did think to switch off the interior light.

However, when I had finished I had a "Low Battery - Start Engine" warning message.

The car had a good run yesterday so battery should have been well charged.

Does this sound right?

If so, is there any way to disable puddle and load bay lights when you want to give the car a good clean?

Post #442962 Tue Nov 18 2014 9:02pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If you are opening and shutting the doors but keep most of them open then i guess the lights will stay on because you are triggering the light switch. If you leave them all open then the system shuts down and all the lights will go off in around 10 minutes. When you say it had a good run, how far are you talking? If you have just bought it, how long has it been sat on a forecourt? These batteries take some charging from near flat.

Post #442981 Tue Nov 18 2014 10:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barryp

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Fuji White

Since its a 2011 build vehicle battery is past its best. just had to replace mine in my 2011 build.
Regards
Barry 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 SE Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 SE Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, Gone after 12 years! Was Excellent.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW

Post #443025 Wed Nov 19 2014 9:36am
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Me too

Post #443029 Wed Nov 19 2014 9:52am
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Low Battery Warning Light

I had all these problems when cleaning my !0MY. Even if listening to radio when not running engine.I had a case when cleaning car,then not trying to starti till next day. And finding the battery compleatly flat. Censored Big Cry I replaced it with a Varta 100 amp Silver H3. 5 year Warranty No problems since Thumbs Up Purchased from Eurobatt Ltd Plymouth. £82.50 Free Next Day Delivery Thumbs Up itisme

Post #443034 Wed Nov 19 2014 10:58am
SRE

Spain 

Remember Sport batteries need to be Absorbed glass mat, anything else could give you alternator issues Thumbs Up In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #443049 Wed Nov 19 2014 2:08pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I thought AGM was only a requirement for eco-stop/start equipped vehicles... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #443051 Wed Nov 19 2014 2:31pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
AGM VARTA

SRE wrote:
Remember Sport batteries need to be Absorbed glass mat, anything else could give you alternator issues Thumbs Up
VARTA BLACK 90amp is the normal battery fitted by RRS. The Silver Dynamic is an AGM 100amp and handles the high demand that the RRS with extra electrical equipment,some have fitted,very well Thumbs Up
Varta do 3 grades of battery Black, Blue, and top of their range SilverThe Silver H3 i bought was £60 cheaper than quote for the black 90amp from main stealer itisme

Post #443052 Wed Nov 19 2014 3:05pm
Tims

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

The RRS has three major electronics systems which shut down sequentially. When you open a door you awaken the simple system and it will drain the battery over time to a point where you get that message.

The battery isnt flat, its just giving you a warning and shutting down to protect itself so there is enough current to start the car when required. Turning that massive engine and starting up the electronics takes a fair bit of power.

The warning takes a while to come on when the car is cold, but if you try it after the engine has been running it happens really fast. This is because the two other electrical systems have not shut down yet and the car is ready to be driven if needed. These have a larger current draw so the warning comes on faster.

If you need to run accessories when the engine is not turning, fit a second battery. Its cheap and easy to do and will give you peace of mind. Its a big car with a lot of electronics but is smart enough not to let itself run flat without warning you first.

If it is happening regularly, get the Battery Monitor checked out. These can fail, especially if you have connected a charger to the negative terminal where it is located.

Either that or you need a new battery. I have a MY11 and the same issues. Battery and alternator were fine, I just didnt understand how it worked.

Post #443757 Wed Nov 26 2014 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1